Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Cromartie

Trading Cromartie

I don't understand why this hasn't been discussed more and if it has why we haven't heard more about it. I like Cromartie a lot and completely understand the idea of not being able to keep a high priced CB when the team is essentially going to be in a rebuilding mode. However, you have a guy like Revis who's value is low right now and Cro who's value is probably never going to be higher. Would it make sense to explore trading Cro to free up some space to sign Revis? I can't except Cro to continue to play on the same level he did last year especially when he publicly admitted how much he learned and was motivated by Revis.

Now would be a great time to trade him, as you are correct, his value has never been higher.

He also is not great with his technique....his ability stems from amazing athleticism, so he is more succeptible to a drop off in performance due to age.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but if atlanta wants CB help, they have a late second round pick which is not that crazy for Cro given their "win now" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    I don't understand why this hasn't been discussed more and if it has why we haven't heard more about it. I like Cromartie a lot and completely understand the idea of not being able to keep a high priced CB when the team is essentially going to be in a rebuilding mode. However, you have a guy like Revis who's value is low right now and Cro who's value is probably never going to be higher. Would it make sense to explore trading Cro to free up some space to sign Revis? I can't except Cro to continue to play on the same level he did last year especially when he publicly admitted how much he learned and was motivated by Revis.
    NO. It does not really address the Revis situation and would weaken our team. In fact Cromartie might be the one current Jets player I would look at extending.

Jets Insider VIP
    Cromartie is more cap friendly. Why arent people understanding this?

more cap friendly yes but not nearly the same player Revis is that's the point of trading Cro to be able to sign Revis and not kill your cap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    NO. It does not really address the Revis situation and would weaken our team. In fact Cromartie might be the one current Jets player I would look at extending.
    He'll have to do a major restructure. He counts $9.75M against the cap next year and unlike Revis we would get back money if we traded him. Revis would cost us $3M to trade. Cromartie would save us $1.25.

For all the complaining about Revis, Cromartie is the 4th highest paid on the team (behind Harris, Sanchez and Holmes), Revis is 7th (behind Brick and Mangold) and ahead of Pouha.

Cro is more cap friendly and has a contract that will keep him here after the end of this season, when Revis will almost certainly be gone. Very smart to trade Cro now and lose Revis to free agency after this season. We'd have a really great backfield then!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Would it make sense to explore trading Cro to free up some space to sign Revis?
    It only makes sense to trade Cro if the $ figure that Revis is asking makes sense in terms of how the Jets spend their cap dollars.

Would you be okay with the Jets paying Revis 15 a year ? I am not passing judgement but I am guessing that is close or below the figure Revis is looking for.

If I was to play Jets GM, I would risk guaranteeing a record amount of Revis's contract and hope that he stays healthy. In return for the high guarantee percentage on the contract I would offer him 12.5 a year.

No, he likely would still not go for it ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Cromartie is more cap friendly. Why arent people understanding this?
    His cap hit is $10.75 million this year and next year, and he isn't close to the player that Revis is. OP has a valid point.

All League
    -If you keep both, you have two expensive CB's on a team that is rebuilding.

- If you get rid of both, you have ZERO established CB'w to work with. Thus, you must rebuild CB along with the other problem positions.

- If you get rid of Revis (which appears likely), you can get some of value for a player who will leave with no compensation after the season. With Cromartie at 1 corner, replacing your CB's is not an emergency.

- If you get rid of Cromartie (and keep Revis), you don't save that much on the cap. You lose Revis after the season for zero compensation. AND, Cromartie isn't going to bring much in trade.

Bottom Line: Move Revis now - for whatever you can get. Keep Cro for 1- 2 seasons while you find younger guys to start at both CB (and the nickle) spots.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Cro is more cap friendly and has a contract that will keep him here after the end of this season, when Revis will almost certainly be gone. Very smart to trade Cro now and lose Revis to free agency after this season. We'd have a really great backfield then!
    But think about all the money we'd be saving

I've got another idea how about we sign Revis then trade Cromartie, did that thought ever enter your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    It only makes sense to trade Cro if the $ figure that Revis is asking makes sense in terms of how the Jets spend their cap dollars.

Would you be okay with the Jets paying Revis 15 a year ? I am not passing judgement but I am guessing that is close or below the figure Revis is looking for.

If I was to play Jets GM, I would risk guaranteeing a record amount of Revis's contract and hope that he stays healthy. In return for the high guarantee percentage on the contract I would offer him 12.5 a year.

No, he likely would still not go for it ...
    Revis is aiming to be the highest paid defensive player, but will likely have to settle for highest paid CB. I think $13M is more realistic, that will put him $2M higher than the next closest CB. BTW if we do trade Revis, how much do you think Cromartie will want when his contract renews. He's pushing $11M right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    His cap hit is $10.75 million this year and next year, and he isn't close to the player that Revis is. OP has a valid point.
    Exactly

Not only would he be at $10.75 million but it would be his age 30 season to open 2014. No way he should be here at that cap figure.

It would be awesome to start Revis talks with these teams and then wind up moving cro for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Exactly

Not only would he be at $10.75 million but it would be his age 30 season to open 2014. No way he should be here at that cap figure.

It would be awesome to start Revis talks with these teams and then wind up moving cro for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick
    That's all great, except the team still doesn't want to pay $15mm to a CB...and rightfully so.

Just because we trade Cro doesn't mean we can keep Revis.

10mm to 15mm is a big deal. $5 million in cap money can go a very long way.

If we are completely rebuilding and tossing the next two years away then I am down with it..

The only thing that concerns me is we have our usual draft luck where we trade good players and come out with junk..

The big trade-off with Revis is that he's gonna want a new contract every 2 years.

sometimes if you let a player go he can wind up being the missing piece down the road..

Sure seems like we could have used Vilma and Abraham during our SB runs a few years ago..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Revis is aiming to be the highest paid defensive player, but will likely have to settle for highest paid CB. I think $13M is more realistic, that will put him $2M higher than the next closest CB. BTW if we do trade Revis, how much do you think Cromartie will want when his contract renews. He's pushing $11M right now.
    It goes beyond that though. How much signing bonus are you giving him? Because even with a modest signing bonus his 13 million a year salary will probably count around 17 million against the cap with his prorated bonus.

Veteran
    Trade Cro draft Trufant.

This has nothing to do with who's better and using the money wisely.

Woody Johnson has had enough of Revis and his agents. They negotiate in bad faith and they've created this situation. Johnson simply doesn't want Revis on the team any longer.