Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Rand Paul a round of applause

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No he didn't. He basically used the hypothetical as an excuse. He answered it like a lawyer.
    He's the Attorney General.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    No, whether you agree or disagree, he answered the question.
    His answer dah, wa, maybe, possibly and maybe so! But he is part of Obama's administration so what else can we expect!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    His answer dah, wa, maybe, possibly and maybe so! But he is part of Obama's administration so what else can we expect!
    Congress should repeal the law, what is stopping them. I def do not want drone strikes within the U.S. that's just insane.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congress should repeal the law, what is stopping them. I def do not want drone strikes within the U.S. that's just insane.
    ================================================== =

Maybe, maybe not.

What if a passenger plane is hijacked by persons or person unknown and is on a collision course with the White House, seconds count and the only asset available to stop the plane is a drone with an air to air missile?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post

Maybe, maybe not.

What if a passenger plane is hijacked by persons or person unknown and is on a collision course with the White House, seconds count and the only asset available to stop the plane is a drone with an air to air missile?
    Don't we already have Jack Bauer for that?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The day after he has dinner with Barry. Wonder if this was discussed.
    Mmm, doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. Or, should I say, an intelligent Jets fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, maybe not.

What if, what if? You follow the law.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Mmm, doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. Or, should I say, an intelligent Jets fan.
    So......by figuring it out you mean believing that a secret conspiracy took place between graham, McCain and Obama. And the fix is what? That Obama would agree to take them to lunch AND pay and in return Graham and McCain would defend the use of drones- a position, mind you, that they have consistently supported all along. And oh by the way, the other politicians who were eating with them either did not hear this secret agreement or are in on it including some of the most vocal anti-Obama republican politicians. Got it.

You are correct in one regard; it does not take a genius to concoct that.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-07-2013 at 05:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad he didn't see fit to filibuster Kerry and Hagel like that,
    ("B. Hussein has prerogatives as Preezy")
    but that's the crypto-liberal libertarian way...
    a Wendell Willkie for the 21st c.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    “To my Republican colleagues, I don’t remember any of you coming down here suggesting that President Bush was going to kill anybody with a drone, do you?” Graham said. “They had a drone program back then, all of a sudden this drone program has gotten every Republican so spun up. What are we up to here?”

Mr. Lindsey Graham what your party is "up to" is being phony and disingenuous. Here is but one example among thousands;

We are against wasteful spending...until we are back in power or to put it another way; we were against wasteful spending from 1976-1980, then forgot about the topic from 1981-1992 then remembered it from 1992-2000 and er, um...forgot about it again from 2001-2008. But now we remembered it again!!!

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2MsjwyHHD
    How extraordinarily lazy, yet unsurprising.

I suppose no question asked of the Obama administration would be complete without the obligatory "Bush Bush Bush warglebargle!"

It takes a grand total of 10 seconds for even the most dimwitted to realize that Rand Paul was not in office during the Bush administration. Nor were supporters of his filibuster like Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz. You know, candidates who overcame Bush-style establishment GOPers as part of a movement of folks demanding a return to defense of Constitutional ideals.

But forget all that. Forget that Democrats such as Ron Wyden stood by Paul's side in this as well. Hell, forget the message entirely, even if you agree with it. Forget that these were important questions that deserved answers, which were provided. Forget it all, simply because it was delivered by a person affiliated with a political party that one despises.

Questions that have never been asked before should therefore never be asked in the future I suppose? Is that the concept? Have Democrats ever asked these questions? Since they hadn't in the Bush administration, would it be ok for them to do so now? Is Wyden as out of line as Paul is? Maybe Rand is only right in this instance by accident. But regardless of the message, by no means should he be heard or taken seriously. Because... well, because... politics. Because BUSH!

Children.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if, what if? You follow the law.
    ================================================

What, what is the law?

I am not completely up on the details of drones and presidential powers to protect the country.

I assume the president has the power to order drone/military response to threats on US soil, or at least I hope he does.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

I suppose no question asked of the Obama administration would be complete without the obligatory "Bush Bush Bush warglebargle!"

It takes a grand total of 10 seconds for even the most dimwitted to realize that Rand Paul was not in office during the Bush administration. Nor were supporters of his filibuster like Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz. You know, candidates who overcame Bush-style establishment GOPers as part of a movement of folks demanding a return to defense of Constitutional ideals.

But forget all that. Forget that Democrats such as Ron Wyden stood by Paul's side in this as well. Hell, forget the message entirely, even if you agree with it. Forget that these were important questions that deserved answers, which were provided. Forget it all, simply because it was delivered by a person affiliated with a political party that one despises.

Questions that have never been asked before should therefore never be asked in the future I suppose? Is that the concept? Have Democrats ever asked these questions? Since they hadn't in the Bush administration, would it be ok for them to do so now? Is Wyden as out of line as Paul is? Maybe Rand is only right in this instance by accident. But regardless of the message, by no means should he be heard or taken seriously. Because... well, because... politics. Because BUSH!

Children.
    Bingo, you stated it perfectly. I just didn't have the patience to type that all out.

McCain and Graham are dinosaurs. Unprincipled, finger in the air Beltway dinosaurs. They'll say whatever they can to grasp relevancy. Of course IJF falls for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ================================================

What, what is the law?

I am not completely up on the details of drones and presidential powers to protect the country.

I assume the president has the power to order drone/military response to threats on US soil, or at least I hope he does.
    Yes, congress gave the President this power, why aren't they in the process of changing the law?

How did the filibuster work out? Brennan still became the CIA Director.

I agree with Rand Paul about the President should not have the authority to use drone attacks within the U.S, but it appears this Administration has no intent of using the here as well.

Rand Paul has shown time and time again he's about Rand Paul and this guy Cruz is a joke as well, the GOP has a ton of problems and these two aren't helping.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Children.
    well done, good sir; WELL DONE!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    well done, good sir; WELL DONE!
    Rush agrees with you guys, that will be great for the GOP? Um no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Children.
    No matter how much you try, no matter how much you wish it to be so, pretend to ignore it, the fact is the Bush Administration will rank with the Carter Administration as one of the worst administrations in American history. You can't pretend away the effects of 8 years, two full terms, on a country. I mention Carter for this reason; back in the early 80's Democratic politicians paid dearly from the Carter fall out. Whether is was justified or not, a lot of Democrats were bounced from office because of the actions of President Carter. At the same time, Reagan officials and Republican politicians were only too quick to mention Carter whenever it suited their needs (it is going to take time to fix X,Y,Z etc,etc). This is standard political stuff, and to some degree there is truth to it, but the manufactured outrage by the right that Obama officials have done the same is more political hypocrisy.

Now lets get to the issue of the thread; In full disclosure, I am against what this administration is doing in the same way I was against it in the previous administration. I am against the furthering of the Patriot Act in the same way that I was against the initial implementation of this abomination.

Do you see how that works? You stand for what you believe regardless of whether it is being done by "my side" or "yours" . And that was Lindsey Graham's point when he took his Republican friends to task for being phony. Now please do not insult people by pretending that the majority of Republicans in Congress were not rubber stamping Bush policies that took place only a handful of years ago. If you like, I can link articles of various pundits bemoaning the fact that there needs to be term limits and how politicians are almost guaranteed reelection in many areas. Paul, Rubio and Cruz may not have been in office but it takes a grand total of 10 seconds for even the most dimwitted to realize that the majority of Republicans in congress now were there for at least some time during the Bush Administration. And its fairly easy to look up the voting records.

Finally, the idea that McCain and Graham are part of a grand conspiracy with the president because they went out to dinner (along with other republican politicians) together, and he paid, is mindless.

Infants.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how much you try, no matter how much you wish it to be so, pretend to ignore it, the fact is the Bush Administration will rank with the Carter Administration as one of the worst administrations in American history. You can't pretend away the effects of 8 years, two full terms, on a country. I mention Carter for this reason; back in the early 80's Democratic politicians paid dearly from the Carter fall out. Whether is was justified or not, a lot of Democrats were bounced from office because of the actions of President Carter. At the same time, Reagan officials and Republican politicians were only too quick to mention Carter whenever it suited their needs (it is going to take time to fix X,Y,Z etc,etc). This is standard political stuff, and to some degree there is truth to it, but the manufactured outrage by the right that Obama officials have done the same is more political hypocrisy.

Now lets get to the issue of the thread; In full disclosure, I am against what this administration is doing in the same way I was against it in the previous administration. I am against the furthering of the Patriot Act in the same way that I was against the initial implementation of this abomination.

Do you see how that works? You stand for what you believe regardless of whether it is being done by "my side" or "yours" . And that was Lindsey Graham's point when he took his Republican friends to task for being phony. Now please do not insult people by pretending that the majority of Republicans in Congress were not rubber stamping Bush policies that took place only a handful of years ago. If you like, I can link articles of various pundits bemoaning the fact that there needs to be term limits and how politicians are almost guaranteed reelection in many areas. Paul, Rubio and Cruz may not have been in office but it takes a grand total of 10 seconds for even the most dimwitted to realize that the majority of Republicans in congress now were there for at least some time during the Bush Administration. And its fairly easy to look up the voting records.

Finally, the idea that McCain and Graham are part of a grand conspiracy with the president because they went out to lunch together and he paid is mindless.

Infants.
    George Bush was perhaps one of the worst administrations ever put up by the republicans. His BS spending has split the party. Conservatives like Rand are called radicals. Why?

Because we cant spend $1,500 for every $1,000 we collect?

This country is insane. We have a government workforce who retire on average at 50 to 55 with full benefits and pensions nearing 100K, many above yet the private sector who pay this bill work to 65 and higher with no pension plans?
    Garbage men and air traffic controllers work only 20 years and retire for life?
    These are examples of expenses that the private sector (our neighbors) are bleeding from through real estate taxes, income taxes, deficits).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how much you try, no matter how much you wish it to be so, pretend to ignore it, the fact is the Bush Administration will rank with the Carter Administration as one of the worst administrations in American history.
    Boy, you do love your straw men. No matter how much I try or wish it to be so, huh?

Fact is, as I've consistently said on here, Bush certainly is one of the worst administrations in our history (right up there with Carter and Obama). But don't let that stand in the way of another uninformed hypocrititcal rant.

You can't pretend away the effects of 8 years, two full terms, on a country. I mention Carter for this reason; back in the early 80's Democratic politicians paid dearly from the Carter fall out. Whether is was justified or not, a lot of Democrats were bounced from office because of the actions of President Carter. At the same time, Reagan officials and Republican politicians were only too quick to mention Carter whenever it suited their needs (it is going to take time to fix X,Y,Z etc,etc). This is standard political stuff, and to some degree there is truth to it, but the manufactured outrage by the right that Obama officials have done the same is more political hypocrisy.
    This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Do you ever tire of dismissing crappy behavior because someone else did it before? My Lord. Like a broken record beating a dead horse.

The point of my post is not "Democrats are stupid for saying this, Republicans never do it". The point is that Paul had a message, that fools choose to ignore, no matter how valid, simply because their main interest is to cry "Republicans ARGGGGGGGHHHH!"

Now lets get to the issue of the thread;
    How generous.

In full disclosure, I am against what this administration is doing in the same way I was against it in the previous administration. I am against the furthering of the Patriot Act in the same way that I was against the initial implementation of this abomination.
    Wonderful. Perhaps you could've posted that instead of "clap clap about irrelevant comments that dismiss the message simply because... REPUBLICANS!" Or maybe perhaps I should look at this from the opposite angle and just be thankful that you didn't somehow drag FOXNEWSWARGLE!!!! into this.

Do you see how that works? You stand for what you believe regardless of whether it is being done by "my side" or "yours" .
    Ironic to say the least

And that was Lindsey Graham's point when he took his Republican friends to task for being phony. Now please do not insult people by pretending that the majority of Republicans in Congress were not rubber stamping Bush policies that took place only a handful of years ago.
    The only insult here is your insistence to apply words to my mouth that were never spoken. No one said anything about a "majority of Republicans". In fact, only Graham (and you by post association) brought party lines into this at all. The fact remains that Rand Paul, the personal responsible for this line of questioning, and those that supported him, have done such in a way consistent with the platforms that got that them elected. A platform that very much divided the GOP. A platform that came to the forefront directly in response to the Bush Administration and GOPers frustrated to where the party had drifted to.

If you like, I can link articles of various pundits bemoaning the fact that there needs to be term limits and how politicians are almost guaranteed reelection in many areas. Paul, Rubio and Cruz may not have been in office but it takes a grand total of 10 seconds for even the most dimwitted to realize that the majority of Republicans in congress now were there for at least some time during the Bush Administration. And its fairly easy to look up the voting records.
    Feel free to waste as much time as you like researching data that has nothing to do with the topic, and counters only arguments that you've concocted in your own mind. No one else is going to care though.

Finally, the idea that McCain and Graham are part of a grand conspiracy with the president because they went out to lunch together and he paid is mindless.
    Wow. How many straw men is that now? I can't even keep up.

Infants.
    No comment

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how much you try, no matter how much you wish it to be so, pretend to ignore it, the fact is the Bush Administration will rank with the Carter Administration as one of the worst administrations in American history.
    No one is disagreeing with you. But you know what? It's time for Obama to be accountable for his own actions. It's easy, and lazy, to continually lean on the crutch of blaming your predecessor.

Now lets get to the issue of the thread
    Ooh, can we?! That'd be a nice change of pace.

In full disclosure, I am against what this administration is doing in the same way I was against it in the previous administration. I am against the furthering of the Patriot Act in the same way that I was against the initial implementation of this abomination.
    And yet it took almost 2 full pages for you to admit that. Hack.

And don't pretend Democrats didn't rubber stamp the Patriot Act through either.

Finally, the idea that McCain and Graham are part of a grand conspiracy with the president because they went out to dinner (along with other republican politicians) together, and he paid, is mindless.

Infants.
    Don't be so dramatic. It has nothing to do with a conspiracy, it has everything to do with two old Washington veterans who just came back from a special dinner with the President, and are trying to be overtly considerate towards him because all they know is how to bend with the wind. It's not a "conspiracy", it's old fashioned Washington politics. You know, the kind candidate Obama railed against. The same guy who would have excoriated this enhanced drone program.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    George Bush was perhaps one of the worst administrations ever put up by the republicans. His BS spending has split the party. Conservatives like Rand are called radicals. Why?
    It's always quite amusing to hear leftists who believe they are experts on what's going on in the world of the political right.

One day we hear tales of "The GOP is tearing itself apart because of these radical far right racists who don't see eye-to-eye with the establishment base. A party so staunchly divided is doomed to fail. MWAHAHAH"

Then suddenly, when faced with the shocking reality that they strongly align on even a single issue with one of these "racists", the story becomes "All of the GOP is exactly the same for all of eternity, so where were they 10 years ago?"

Their opinions vary with whatever suits their political message the most on that particular day. Doesn't matter what the issue or the policy being discussed is. Drown it all out in favor of "how can I spin this to make my enemies look bad today or make excuses for my guys?"

It would be hilarious if it weren't so prevalent.