Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This stupid **** is going to ruin it for everyone

Hall Of Fame
    I worked from home for a while, I got pretty good at all The Price is Right games.
    Unfortunately, because many of us were working from home they seemed to give us even more work so we couldn't goof off and I found myself finishing up at 9pm. Some people may have the discipline to work unsupervised, but I work best when cornered like a rat in a cage,

Jets Insider VIP
    In the same boat. Travel a lot, but work from home when I don't. Dropped my wife off at the train this morning (she just landed a very part-time consulting gig) and she said, "Glad I don't have to get on this friggin train every day again." Amen.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And with the MTA raising fares this year and again in 2015 (so I've read), commuting is getting to be more and more a pain in the wallet, even aside from the other hassles involved. I'd love to telecommute if I could.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I have a very short commute to my office so perhaps I would feel differently if I was on the train for 2+ hours a day, but I am much more productive in my office. When I try to get stuff done from home, it takes me a lot longer - even when the kids arent around.

If you work for yourself or have your own book, I guess it becomes a different story as you quickly realize that if you don't do it, you ain't getting paid. I guess it depends on the nature of the work. If everyone is in the office and you're the only one telecommuting, there is no way you can be as efficient/productive. There are things that inevitably happen during face to face encounters. But, if the majority of your workforce is structured around telecommunicating, it becomes the norm and its not as if someone feels like they're "getting away" with something - everyone's expectations are on the same level.
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.

I definately think its a one size doesnt fit all kind of thing. If your job role is to work collaboratively on projects, I see the value of face to face every day. If you have kids/spouse/pets bothering you all day long, thats a problem working from home.

In my role, I work with colleagues and customers across the country in all time zones and occasionally internationally. I was commuting 90+ minutes each way to NYC to sit on conference calls most of the day when I wasnt at customer sites. To me, that was a waste of time and money, since I wasn't really doing much interacting with my team face to face anyway.

One downside to telecommuting - I have some colleagues who feel its ok to call me before or after business hours with non-essential crap because youre "just" working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    One downside to telecommuting - I have some colleagues who feel its ok to call me before or after business hours with non-essential crap because youre "just" working from home.
    Two fixes.

1. Get a company cellphone phone. This is essential.

2. Turn the phone off when you're done with work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I definately think its a one size doesnt fit all kind of thing. If your job role is to work collaboratively on projects, I see the value of face to face every day. If you have kids/spouse/pets bothering you all day long, thats a problem working from home.

In my role, I work with colleagues and customers across the country in all time zones and occasionally internationally. I was commuting 90+ minutes each way to NYC to sit on conference calls most of the day when I wasnt at customer sites. To me, that was a waste of time and money, since I wasn't really doing much interacting with my team face to face anyway.

Funny thing about collaboration is I work in a big company. We have offices globally but I mostly work with people in NJ, MA, PA and Canada. Does it really matter if I am at my house or at my office in NJ if I am going to be emailing, IMing and/or calling people? Also most people are so friggin lazy that they will IM from 2 desks away instead of getting up so what is the real difference? I also have a soft phone that lets me get use my work phone extension at home. Telecommuting makes sense in my position.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Two fixes.

1. Get a company cellphone phone. This is essential.

2. Turn the phone off when you're done with work.
    Oh yeah, Im way ahead of that - no company phone, but I do get to expense my personal cell. We used to have company phones, but that policy changed, so I ported my old work cell number to google voice, and it fwds to both home office and personal cell, with rules I can set for when each rings - weekends and nights after a certain time, right to voicemail. I get an email and a text of the transcript I can monitor in case anything is urgent. No one then has my personal cell or home number, yet I can use the "work number" from anywhere, use the google voice app to call from the road when traveling. Its a beautiful thing, and all free. Oh, and if I leave the company, that "work" number comes with me, which is an added perk.

With smartphones and laptops, we're connected 24x7x365 if we want. In the right role, with some discipline, I believe working from home can be just as, if not more, productive. And thats not even getting into the issue of working moms with flex-time, which was a big issue with this Yahoo hullabaloo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Funny thing about collaboration is I work in a big company. We have offices globally but I mostly work with people in NJ, MA, PA and Canada. Does it really matter if I am at my house or at my office in NJ if I am going to be emailing, IMing and/or calling people? Also most people are so friggin lazy that they will IM from 2 desks away instead of getting up so what is the real difference? I also have a soft phone that lets me get use my work phone extension at home. Telecommuting makes sense in my position.
    Mine too. And if i need to get a customer requirement document done, or a statement of work, not having some Chatty Cathy wander by the desk and drone on about their kids, weekend, etc. while Im trying to get done is nice. Dont get that at home.

Of course, Im posting here at 11:15, so.....

I just got finished making and eating breakfast.

All League
    I have to go to the office once a month, which take 90 minutes. And all i do is BS with people I havent seen in a month, nothing gets done. I could not do it 5 days a week.

Dont get me wrong, some days at home I can slack with the best of them, but I find I'm more productive with out all external distractions. If I want to watch Judge Judy while eating lunch, I'm ok, but most time lunch is eaten while still at my desk.

It comes down to how well you can motivate yourself and do the task at hand. Right now I'm not working.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    News flash - most of the employed people in this country have a job that requires a physical presence in an actual office or at a job site. The handful of you waaah waaah whiners bltching about this and having to actually GO to work will get no sympathy from me. Man up, Sallies.

And I would bang her silly.

you rock!

Jets Insider VIP
    This morning was a nightmare. As soon as I looked outside I knew I was going to be working from home.

But, for some reason, I decided to try to make a 'good faith effort' attempt to come in. Showered, dressed, pushed off the 4+ inches of snow off the car and headed out.

What a freakin mess, compounded by the fact that only the tips of my wipers decided to work this morning, and it's been coming down fast. Took the first exit and turned the **** around. I could have spent that last 60 minutes of my life working...or posting pics, but you get the idea.

A job is not worth getting killed over by some idiot in a Dodge Ram doing 60 in a snow filled fast lane.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This morning was a nightmare. As soon as I looked outside I knew I was going to be working from home.

But, for some reason, I decided to try to make a 'good faith effort' attempt to come in. Showered, dressed, pushed off the 4+ inches of snow off the car and headed out.

What a freakin mess, compounded by the fact that only the tips of my wipers decided to work this morning, and it's been coming down fast. Took the first exit and turned the **** around. I could have spent that last 60 minutes of my life working...or posting pics, but you get the idea.

A job is not worth getting killed over by some idiot in a Dodge Ram doing 60 in a snow filled fast lane.
    Wow, 4"? How did you ever manage? Did you stock up on supplies? Bread? Milk? I hope you'll be OK.

Godspeed, Fish.

Someone better check on Stokes. He might be buried up to his neck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Big L, FTW!

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow, 4"? How did you ever manage?
    He's managed 4" his whole life.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The fact that you showered, dressed pushed off the snow, drove partly to work, turned around, drove home and then had time to post this all before 6am is astonishing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    That dress is clingy in all the right places. I agree with whatever she said about whatever this thread is about.
    this guy gets it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Wow, 4"? How did you ever manage? Did you stock up on supplies? Bread? Milk? I hope you'll be OK.

Godspeed, Fish.

Someone better check on Stokes. He might be buried up to his neck.
    Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    He's managed 4" his whole life.

He was in the pool!

-

All Pro

So wipers play "just the tip" also? Good to know.