Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This stupid **** is going to ruin it for everyone

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry This stupid **** is going to ruin it for everyone

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...ing-from-home/

My conservative company only recently started allowing this on a regular basis - the last thing I need is some uppity broad making a ridiculous salary (who could afford to install a ****ing nursery right next to her office) who wants to make a name for herself ruining it for the rest of us.

I will defend her on this point however - it sounds like Yahoo employees are idiots, for people that work at a tech company.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/06/yahoo-ceo-...tm_medium=home

I came to this conclusion after reading this TechWorld story that described the devastatingly simple way that Mayer learned that her workforce was slacking off at home — she simply checked the VPN logs and found that far too many over her employees weren’t using them for significant portions of the day. This is important because logging into VPNs is presumably a key requirement for Yahoo employees to have secure access to work email and other resources that they need to do their jobs.

What makes this particularly galling is that logging into your VPN at the start of every day and keeping it open is not some crushing burden. In fact, it’s entirely possible to do relatively little work during the day all while keeping your VPN up and running. That many Yahoo employees apparently couldn’t be bothered to virtually “punch in” during work hours shows that they weren’t even dedicated enough to competently fake doing their work.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    gee, ya mean people don't work as hard when they're at home?

I'm shocked.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Fish, I edited your title....and if it makes you feel better...it still looks vulgar.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...ing-from-home/

My conservative company only recently started allowing this on a regular basis - the last thing I need is some uppity broad making a ridiculous salary (who could afford to install a ****ing nursery right next to her office) who wants to make a name for herself ruining it for the rest of us.

I will defend her on this point however - it sounds like Yahoo employees are idiots, for people that work at a tech company.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/06/yahoo-ceo-...tm_medium=home
    Sorry, don't get the outrage. I work from home 2 days a week, and although it's tough, it is rewarding as hell. Shame on those morons, anyway - how do you goldbrick and not expect to be caught?
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-06-2013 at 11:28 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Sorry, don't get the outrage. I work from home 2 days a week, and although it's tough, it is rewarding as hell. No way other companies will do this; calling all employees to work in the office. Shame on those morons, anyway - how do you goldbrick and not expect to be caught?
    I forgot to post the other story that made me shake my cane in the first place - the fact that other idiots are actually listening to this thunderc unt.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/best-...ry?id=18666891

Maybe I shouldn't be worried because Best Buy sucks tho. But them being based out of MN, the home of heinous winters, it would be much easier for folks to work instead of trudging through daily snowstorms.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/best-...ry?id=18666891

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    gee, ya mean people don't work as hard when they're at home?

I'm shocked.
    I work more, actually less interruptions. But I do eat more though. The kitchen is like a broken vending machine, free Zagnuts for all!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I would hit it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disallowing teleworking is a knee jerk reaction to what is actually a failure of management. If your managers can't effectively manage teleworkers, then how can they manage workers at remote sites? Answer: they can't. And as one pundit pointed out, it's ironic that a company whose top aim is to improve it's mobile presence bans its mobile workers.

There's something about having kids that turns some women into control freaks. I've seen it many times over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for her.

I work from home full time. These idiots don't even know how to log into VPN and then sleep off their hangovers? The issue is that Yahoo is a failing company and nobody is accountable for anything. I'm sure she's trying to change that. I just find it laughable that they wouldn't even log into their VPNs ... haha, that's bad. Probably been working two jobs, that's why.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Good for her.

I work from home full time. These idiots don't even know how to log into VPN and then sleep off their hangovers? The issue is that Yahoo is a failing company and nobody is accountable for anything. I'm sure she's trying to change that. I just find it laughable that they wouldn't even log into their VPNs ... haha, that's bad. Probably been working two jobs, that's why.
    Is that the actual story? That they had a large pct of their teleworkers that didn't even log in to the network during work hours? If so, link please...I'd like to read it. And if indeed that is the case, then why don't they simply fire them? Again, the issue traces back to management.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Is that the actual story? That they had a large pct of their teleworkers that didn't even log in to the network during work hours? If so, link please...I'd like to read it. And if indeed that is the case, then why don't they simply fire them? Again, the issue traces back to management.
    It's quoted in the OP.

And I agree. Bad management. Management is part of the problem too, they probably didn't log in either. I've always said though, you get this type of employee behavior when you treat your employees like sh!t. I have no doubt that this was the case.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    It's quoted in the OP.

And I agree. Bad management. Management is part of the problem too, they probably didn't log in either. I've always said though, you get this type of employee behavior when you treat your employees like sh!t. I have no doubt that this was the case.
    Agreed. Let's also not forget that Yahoo's issues are much, much deeper than some teleworkers jagging off on the job. Hell, how many onsite workers were jagging of as well? Probably at least a 4-1 ratio. At least the remote jagoffs weren't driving up the utility bills.

Yahoo's real issues---that it's an antiquated portal site with crappy email and a search engine nobody uses--have nothing to do with it telework policy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I would hit it.

That dress is clingy in all the right places. I agree with whatever she said about whatever this thread is about.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    News flash - most of the employed people in this country have a job that requires a physical presence in an actual office or at a job site. The handful of you waaah waaah whiners bltching about this and having to actually GO to work will get no sympathy from me. Man up, Sallies.

And I would bang her silly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Agreed. Let's also not forget that Yahoo's issues are much, much deeper than some teleworkers jagging off on the job. Hell, how many onsite workers were jagging of as well? Probably at least a 4-1 ratio. At least the remote jagoffs weren't driving up the utility bills.

Yahoo's real issues---that it's an antiquated portal site with crappy email and a search engine nobody uses--have nothing to do with it telework policy.

I think the last time I even used Yahoo! for anything was in 1995 - seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    News flash - most of the employed people in this country have a job that requires a physical presence in an actual office or at a job site. The handful of you waaah waaah whiners bltching about this and having to actually GO to work will get no sympathy from me. Man up, Sallies.

Granted I realize there are plenty of jobs out there that require a physical, onsite presence - but with the increases in technology there are more reason to offer it to their employees than not to. Overhead is one - our company used to own 4 buildings on a particular campus, now they've consolidated and sold off nearly 3, and no longer have the headache of maintenance, insurance, and taxes.

If management is too stupid to recognize which idiots are going to ruin it for everyone (and essentially, this is what happened - this idiots derailed the gravy train) then they should be fired too. The reason they haven't rolled it out to everyone in my department is because at least 50% of the people can't be trusted to do their work whilst at the office, never mind being at home, watching Judge Joe Brown on the Lazy Boy, ramming ham-fisted hands into pork rind bags while juggling a greasy remote control.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you L, but the less MF'ers on the road talking on their MF'ing cellphones in the MF'ing left lane doing 55 MF'ing MPH while I am trying to get home the better off I'll be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Granted I realize there are plenty of jobs out there that require a physical, onsite presence - but with the increases in technology there are more reason to offer it to their employees than not to. Overhead is one - our company used to own 4 buildings on a particular campus, now they've consolidated and sold off nearly 3, and no longer have the headache of maintenance, insurance, and taxes.

If management is too stupid to recognize which idiots are going to ruin it for everyone (and essentially, this is what happened - this idiots derailed the gravy train) then they should be fired too. The reason they haven't rolled it out to everyone in my department is because at least 50% of the people can't be trusted to do their work whilst at the office, never mind being at home, watching Judge Joe Brown on the Lazy Boy, ramming ham-fisted hands into pork rind bags while juggling a greasy remote control.
    LOL. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

And couldn't agree with you more on the overhead. My company has a multiplier. It's what you make times some number, and this is what you bill at. My multiplier is three. Basically 1/3 of my billing rate goes to me, 1/3 goes for profit, and 1/3 is for overhead. 33.3% for fvcking overhead! 33.3% to pay for fvcking accounting department, marketing department, legal, and on and on and on....

Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post
    I totally agree with you L, but the less MF'ers on the road talking on their MF'ing cellphones in the MF'ing left lane doing 55 MF'ing MPH while I am trying to get home the better off I'll be.
    Well said! I probably have to dodge a dozen *******s during my weekly commute who are texting or whatever, weaving in and out of lanes, drifting in to oncoming traffic... It would be Darwinism at it's finest if they would only crash and kill themselves, instead of hitting innocent other drivers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything Bushy and Fish have said.

If people aren't doing work, fire those people only. Otherwise, this is just management bull**** of "oooh - look at us! We're managers! We're tough on our employees!"

yeah, sure you are. And they prolly hate your ****in guts.

I used to use Yahoo to host my domain, but they were so inept I switched almost 10 years ago to BlueHost.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said. GO TO WORK!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work from home a few days a week, usually after travelling, and then we got bought and all the field offices save a few larger ones were closed, to save money, so all sales, sales engineering, etc. that were far enough from one of the remaining offices got to work from home full time.

I love it. i start earlier than i would if i commuted, work later at times, can run out at lunch to the post office or whatever, we have dinner at a reasonable hour, quality of life is pretty good. Its actually one major reason I put up with a lot of crap at my job because I save on commuting time and cost. It helps to set up an actual office at home in a spare room; I get the feeling some of my colleagues are working from home at the kitchen table on a cell phone. Those are the ****ers that ruin it for everyone.

Sure there are lazy telecommuters, but being in an office, they were just as lazy, and with tele- and web- conferencing, and going onsite to customer meetings, you can be just as productive. The moronic time suckers arent hanging around your cubicle or office.... for me its me and the dog in the home office.