Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Release Eric Winston, thoughts

Rookie

Chiefs Release Eric Winston, thoughts

Winston, selected by the Houston Texans in the third round of the 2006 NFL Draft, was a solid player for the Chiefs in 2012, but given his history as a zone blocker, and new head coach Andy Reid's preference for straight-ahead man-on-man power blockers, it may not have been the best fit. The question now becomes what the Chiefs will do with tackle Branden Albert, who they gave the franchise tag last Monday. After the Chiefs traded for ex-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, any chance that a signal-caller would be taken with the first overall pick owned by the Chiefs pretty much went out the window.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4681--nfl.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-06-2013 at 09:11 PM.

My thought is the Jets should go after him. He's a solid RT.

KC is blowing my mind with these stupid moves. Hard to say their record doesn't get better but nothing they have done has made a lick of sense. Winston is a better OL then Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    KC is blowing my mind with these stupid moves. Hard to say their record doesn't get better but nothing they have done has made a lick of sense. Winston is a better OL then Albert.
    maybe they are gonna tank the 2013 season also as many say the jets are.

Regime change.

Veteran
    he's gotta be better then Howard, right?

Comeon man stop with the silly statements. There is a reason Eric winston plays Rt and Brandon Albert LT.

All Pro
    How he was ranked last season? Is he strictly a RT or is he versatile enough to play OG as well? Is age starting to catch up with him?

From what I remember, he signed a reasonable deal last year. If he can still play and would be willing to sign a relatively low money contract, he could be a decent stop gap solution on our offensive line.

Thumbs up

Eric Winston can play on my team, no problem.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    How he was ranked last season? Is he strictly a RT or is he versatile enough to play OG as well? Is age starting to catch up with him?

From what I remember, he signed a reasonable deal last year. If he can still play and would be willing to sign a relatively low money contract, he could be a decent stop gap solution on our offensive line.
    He's only 30. He makes 5 mil a year, or he did, and he's a very good player, but we can't afford him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Comeon man stop with the silly statements. There is a reason Eric winston plays Rt and Brandon Albert LT.
    Because Albert was a high pick that happened to be a G. That is about the only reason I see he played LT. He wasn't very good at it. Likely yeah he ends up as the RT this year now but I would have just kept Winston at 5 mil and let Albert walk. It is not like there would have been a huge market for a bust G playing LT.

Cutting Winston is cap posturing. They will now draft Joeckel and move Albert to RT saving them money to use in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    he's gotta be better then Howard, right?
    Jets could move Howard inside to Guard and start Winston at RT. Not a bad idea at all if Idzik can do enough cap manuevering to make it possible.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Cutting Winston is cap posturing. They will now draft Joeckel and move Albert to RT saving them money to use in FA.
    I don't get this scenario at all. Albert has never played on the Right side either at tackle or guard, why pay a guy 11 mill to play out of position. Not every guy can do it, I know they put Light on the Right side and he was just not
    comfortable putting his left arm down.

I did not hear chief fans being disappointed in his play, He is a ZBS Tackle and maybe Reid and Andy Heck want to go with a man blocking scheme. I will be surprised if he did play well last year that some team just picks up his deal 3 years at 16 mill, no SB just cut him if he don't work out.

Stop. Think long term. See the big picture and read between the lines (nonetheless those that make that complete sense). Nothing stupid about this when they draft Joeckel.

Let me guess- sign this beast!!

Hall Of Fame
    They're taking a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They're taking a tackle.
    Agreed. Even if Patman doesn't see it. Amazing how arrogant New England Patriots fans are because their GM 13 years ago lucked into the greatest qb of all-time in the 6th round that somehow makes them all better people than everyone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Agreed. Even if Patman doesn't see it. Amazing how arrogant New England Patriots fans are because their GM 13 years ago lucked into the greatest qb of all-time in the 6th round that somehow makes them all better people than everyone else.
    I think their first choice would be to trade down but they cant find a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think their first choice would be to trade down but they cant find a partner.
    Trade downs usually don't happen in today's NFL unless you have a QB like RG3. The days of the New Orleans Saints trading their entire draft for a running back are over.