Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DirecTV to drop or share NFL Ticket in 2015?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DirecTV to drop or share NFL Ticket in 2015?

It would be cool to finally have it available on FIOS.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-sunday-ticket

The NFL's exclusive deal with DirecTV for "NFL Sunday Ticket" is set to expire in 2015.

Speaking Wednesday at the Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom Conference in Florida, DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle hinted that rising sports costs might lead to changes in how fans access the extremely popular product.

Brandt: Draft class underrated
    A lack of star power does not equal a lack of talent. Gil Brandt sees 10 future Pro Bowl players in the 2013 NFL Draft class. More ...
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, Doyle said DirecTV would consider a non-exclusive deal with the NFL if the price tag went too high in the next negotiation. Doyle left the door open that DirecTV might drop "Sunday Ticket" entirely.

The NFL signed a four-year, $4 billion extension with DirecTV in 2009, ensuring the "Sunday Ticket" package would be available exclusively on DirecTV through the 2014 season.

It's a hefty price (even amongst corporate giants), though it's impossible to deny the big business NFL fans have brought back DirecTV's way. DirecTV long has cited the package as a major selling point for its product.

Doyle's intimation that DirecTV might walk away from its relationship with the NFL is part of the game. If it ever happened, another carrier surely would pay the price to show every NFL regular-season game. We hope this doesn't end with you needing a new cable box.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what Direct TV paid to have exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket, but I have to imagine that if the Sunday Ticket was available to ANY cable outlet and FIOS, that the NFL would still make a tremendous amount of money.

I would get the Sunday ticket in a heart beat, I just dont want it enough to switch to Direct TV.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the 4 billion dollar extension. Thats a ton of money for Direct TV.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once upon a time I wanted Sunday ticket, but not badly enough to make the switch to DirectTV. Now, after having the Red Zone channel for the last three years with FiOS, I realize that I have all I need and doubt I'll get the Sunday ticket if it becomes available.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    EDIT: Nevermind, saw the 4 billion dollar extension. Thats a ton of money for Direct TV.
    That was $4 billion paid in 2009 for the extension.

Gotta think that anybody paying for exclusive rights beginnging in 2015 will be shelling out $8-10 billion.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a cold day in hell before you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV. That's the main service that keeps that company in business. They'll pay out the ass before they lose it.

Who the hell would even own dish if it wasn't for Sunday Ticket?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its all negotiation, DirecTV is nothing without the exclusive NFL package. If they lost the NFL they would lose subscribers in droves, me included.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That was $4 billion paid in 2009 for the extension.

Gotta think that anybody paying for exclusive rights beginnging in 2015 will be shelling out $8-10 billion.
    I wonder at what point is it better financially for the NFL to allow the Sunday Ticket on all TV providers??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Once upon a time I wanted Sunday ticket, but not badly enough to make the switch to DirectTV. Now, after having the Red Zone channel for the last three years with FiOS, I realize that I have all I need and doubt I'll get the Sunday ticket if it becomes available.
    Problem with Red Zone....

we wait forever for JETS highlights.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same thing the 1st time I saw Redzone
    1- Why would I need NFL Sunday ticket
    2- The other stations can NOT be happy about Redzone, CBS, FOX, they Ad companies gotta know that everyones flipping to redzone during commercials.
    NFL is so big they just say.....whatever.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder at what point is it better financially for the NFL to allow the Sunday Ticket on all TV providers??
    Good point, but what a coup for the provider that has the exclusive rights.

From the NFL's perspective, I'm sure they want the most coverage/exposure as possible. DTV has a has a very good national reach.

Also, the current contracts with CBS, NBC, FOX and ESPN would be greatly different if the Sunday ticket was available to all providers.

Bottom line, the NFL will make a decision based on the greatest revenue generated.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Who the hell would even own dish if it wasn't for Sunday Ticket?
    Someone who can't get cable TV and there are a lot of people in this country who live in the sticks who can't and Satellite is their only option.

Dish Network doesn't have the NFL ticket and they've been around forever.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, but what a coup for the provider that has the exclusive rights.

From the NFL's perspective, I'm sure they want the most coverage/exposure as possible. DTV has a has a very good national reach.

Also, the current contracts with CBS, NBC, FOX and ESPN would be greatly different if the Sunday ticket was available to all providers.

Bottom line, the NFL will make a decision based on the greatest revenue generated.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the games shown on the Sunday Ticket are the actual broadcasts from the network feeds and show the commercials that would normally be shown correct? It could lead to added advertising revenue because more eyes would be watching.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that I'm in the NY area and don't have an issue watching the Jets, I agree wholeheartedly. I obviously watch the Jets and the rest of my football watching is predominantly on Red Zone. Its like having the NFL Ticket with a built in DJ who knows exactly when to change the channel. In a sense, its better than the Ticket. I moved 1.5 years ago and my previous building didn't have FIOS. When I finally got the Red Zone Channel, it was transformative.

Of course, there are a lot of people who live away from their team's primary viewing area. For them, the package makes sense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Someone who can't get cable TV and there are a lot of people in this country who live in the sticks who can't and Satellite is their only option.

Dish Network doesn't have the NFL ticket and they've been around forever.
    I have DirecTV because I hate every cable company I've had to deal with and DirecTV has always been far better to me. Sunday Ticket was an added bonus...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the games shown on the Sunday Ticket are the actual broadcasts from the network feeds and show the commercials that would normally be shown correct? It could lead to added advertising revenue because more eyes would be watching.
    Yes, DTV uses the network feeds for Sunday Ticket.

As it is now, we know what network games will be shown where and what percetage of the population is covered. That's how the come up with the viewership ratings to determine ad rates.

To your question about more eyes watching through DTV, how would they know who, and how many, are watching what feed on DTV.

If I'm sitting down here in Houston, how would they know if I am watching the Pats/Bills on a CBS feed or the Packers/Bears feed on Fox?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    +$10B? Any word from Revis on what he thinks his cut should be?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

As it is now, we know what network games will be shown where and what percetage of the population is covered. That's how the come up with the viewership ratings to determine ad rates.

To your question about more eyes watching through DTV, how would they know who, and how many, are watching what feed on DTV.

If I'm sitting down here in Houston, how would they know if I am watching the Pats/Bills on a CBS feed or the Packers/Bears feed on Fox?
    I am not talking specific games, just more people watching in general. I know if I had Direct TV I would watch more games in the time slots that the Jets are not playing. Instead of being stuck with the Giant game here in NY, I would be able to watch another out of market game that I would not have been able to watch before.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    +$10B? Any word from Revis on what he thinks his cut should be?
    1/2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no chance DIrecTV gives up Sunday Ticket. It is just the start of a negotiating ploy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This gets into media technology, of which I know very little about. But, in general local ads and national ads are bought differently. You see it when there is an ad for On Demand movies on FiOS or a movie on DirecTV.

Most NFL broadcasts have ads for very large national partners where the location of the viewer is not relevant(Budwiser, State Farm, etc).