Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV to drop or share NFL Ticket in 2015?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not sure what Direct TV paid to have exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket, but I have to imagine that if the Sunday Ticket was available to ANY cable outlet and FIOS, that the NFL would still make a tremendous amount of money.

I would get the Sunday ticket in a heart beat, I just dont want it enough to switch to Direct TV.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the 4 billion dollar extension. Thats a ton of money for Direct TV.
    I have never understood how the exclusive deal benefited the NFL. Like many people, I simply cannot get DirectTV (trees in the way). As a result, I cannot pay the NFL money to see the games I want to watch. (We get 100% of the Patriots and Giant games).

Why wouldn't the NFL want me to write an annual check to my cable provider for their product?

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I have never understood how the exclusive deal benefited the NFL. Like many people, I simply cannot get DirectTV (trees in the way). As a result, I cannot pay the NFL money to see the games I want to watch. (We get 100% of the Patriots and Giant games).

Why wouldn't the NFL want me to write an annual check to my cable provider for their product?
    I would assume that total non-exclusive cost of Sunday Ticket was less than what DirecTV was willing to pay for the exclusive rights. You aren't paying the NFL to watch, you are paying DirecTV to watch

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not sure what Direct TV paid to have exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket, but I have to imagine that if the Sunday Ticket was available to ANY cable outlet and FIOS, that the NFL would still make a tremendous amount of money.

I would get the Sunday ticket in a heart beat, I just dont want it enough to switch to Direct TV.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the 4 billion dollar extension. Thats a ton of money for Direct TV.
    me-2 buit I can't get DTV because my apartmant points due north in the exact oppostite direction of the satellite

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That was $4 billion paid in 2009 for the extension.

Gotta think that anybody paying for exclusive rights beginnging in 2015 will be shelling out $8-10 billion.
    Don't you think the NFL would make more money by selling the Sunday Ticket NOT on an exclusive basis and thereby contracting with more outlets?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Don't you think the NFL would make more money by selling the Sunday Ticket NOT on an exclusive basis and thereby contracting with more outlets?
    Like I said earlier, the NFL wants to reach as many people as possible.

Some of the smaller cable outlets will not meet that criteria, let alone be able to afford the NFL fee that would be required.

Other than DTV and DishNetwork (maybe TimeWarner Cable), are there any other outlets that have a national reach?

I don't know the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell before you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV. That's the main service that keeps that company in business. They'll pay out the ass before they lose it.

Who the hell would even own dish if it wasn't for Sunday Ticket?

Some of the smaller cable outlets will not meet that criteria, let alone be able to afford the NFL fee that would be required.

Other than DTV and DishNetwork (maybe TimeWarner Cable), are there any other outlets that have a national reach?

Maybe FIOS. Most Cable Companies are local monopolies. Google is now releasing Hi Speed internet access (Google Fiber in KC)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Why does it have to be just one outlet? Why not offer it to whomever is willing to pay a certain price? I'm sure the NFL has some data to rely as to how much TWC, CV, FIOS, etc. would be willing to pay to have the Ticket.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Why does it have to be just one outlet? Why not offer it to whomever is willing to pay a certain price? I'm sure the NFL has some data to rely as to how much TWC, CV, FIOS, etc. would be willing to pay to have the Ticket.
    True, the whole point would be to have it available to as many people as possible.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Just playng devil's advocate here, but why would the NFL want to negotiate with many smaller, regional outlets when they can negotiate an exclusive contract with one supplier on a national level?

DTV paid a huge premium for the exclusive rights of the ticket.

And don't you find it surprising that none of these other outlets are screamining anti-trust and unfair trade pratices to the FTC about DTV's exclusive agreement?

I haven't heard of one complaint yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell before you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV. That's the main service that keeps that company in business. They'll pay out the ass before they lose it.

Who the hell would even own dish if it wasn't for Sunday Ticket?
    WRONG. Dish Network has been around a long time now and doesn't offer the NFL Sunday ticket.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Someone who can't get cable TV and there are a lot of people in this country who live in the sticks who can't and Satellite is their only option. Dish Network doesn't have the NFL ticket and they've been around forever.
    Plus in FL when the power goes out from a hurricane you just switch to the generator and you have TV.. When the power is out you can't with cable..

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Its all negotiation, DirecTV is nothing without the exclusive NFL package. If they lost the NFL they would lose subscribers in droves, me included.
    You can get all the Jets games for free in Florida on DirectTV without the Sunday Ticket Package.

DirecTV doesn't know where their hardware is located. All they know is the billing zip code, and that's what determines which programming you receive. Simply change the billing address to a friend in New York, give DirecTV a credit card for recurring payments, tell them to suppress all bills and phone calls, done.

And, as a bonus, not only will you get all the Jets games on all the networks but you'll get SNY for post game shows, Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, Devils, Islanders, Nets, and Giants too. The only downside is you'll get local NY news, but that's not a big deal for most.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You can get all the Jets games for free in Florida on DirectTV without the Sunday Ticket Package.

DirecTV doesn't know where their hardware is located. All they know is the billing zip code, and that's what determines which programming you receive. Simply change the billing address to a friend in New York, give DirecTV a credit card for recurring payments, tell them to suppress all bills and phone calls, done.

That is absolutely true!

My first 3 years down here I had DTV and had the bill sent to an old neighbor in Hyannis. Had the basic DTV package for $29.99/month and got all the Pats games along with the local Boston news.

Then one night, MrsPatsFanTx decides she wants to watch some girlie-girl movie on DTV pay-per-view and plugged in the phone cord to order the movie.

BUSTED!

Still pissed off about that to today.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Maybe FIOS. Most Cable Companies are local monopolies.
    Not necessarily true - depending on how you look at it. By the number of cable companies, yes, you're correct. "Most" of the 70+ are local. By subscribers, half of the ~100 million cable subscribers nationwide are customers of the big 5 - Comcast (the largest, with more than 22% of all cable subscribers), Time Warner (a little more than half of Comcast), the Cox, Verizon and AT&T, each with about a third of what Time Warner has. I think #5-10 account for about another 15%, so the remaining 60+ cable companies average less than 1% each.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Yes, DTV uses the network feeds for Sunday Ticket.

As it is now, we know what network games will be shown where and what percetage of the population is covered. That's how the come up with the viewership ratings to determine ad rates.

To your question about more eyes watching through DTV, how would they know who, and how many, are watching what feed on DTV.

If I'm sitting down here in Houston, how would they know if I am watching the Pats/Bills on a CBS feed or the Packers/Bears feed on Fox?
    They know. Both Direct and DISH (and TIVO anywhere else, too) collect data - they don't know (or don't say) that it's "you", but they collect viewership data and target their ads (not TV spots, but the digital ads you see on their guide etc.) accordingly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This gets into media technology, of which I know very little about. But, in general local ads and national ads are bought differently. You see it when there is an ad for On Demand movies on FiOS or a movie on DirecTV.

Most NFL broadcasts have ads for very large national partners where the location of the viewer is not relevant(Budwiser, State Farm, etc).
    Yes and no - there are national and local commercial breaks (pods).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I would assume that total non-exclusive cost of Sunday Ticket was less than what DirecTV was willing to pay for the exclusive rights. You aren't paying the NFL to watch, you are paying DirecTV to watch
    While technically true that payments go to Direct TV, the NFL's ultimate revenues have to be a function of the total # of subscribers x the price of the service.

With an enormous number of household having "cable" TV, it seems unlikely to me that the Direct TV "exclusive" fee would be larger than the total fee that could be had from a non-exclusive fee.

What is Direct TV's market share? 10%?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think the fact that they do Sunday Ticket with a satellite provider may have something to do with the fact that cable and satellite are different - in that cable pays 'franchise fees' to the local government, which is basically the rent for using and altering their infrastructure. So they're essentially in business with the local government, as are the local affiliates of the networks. So I would think adding Sunday Ticket to a cable provider might affect the NFL's agreement with the network and their local affiliate in a way that the non-geographically specific/tethered satellite doesn't.

Or not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While technically true that payments go to Direct TV, the NFL's ultimate revenues have to be a function of the total # of subscribers x the price of the service.

With an enormous number of household having "cable" TV, it seems unlikely to me that the Direct TV "exclusive" fee would be larger than the total fee that could be had from a non-exclusive fee.

What is Direct TV's market share? 10%?
    No, if they were a cable provider they'd be a close second to comcast. But I wouldn't be surprised if they might take a loss on Sunday Ticket as a loss leader.