Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hate that REX is still here

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He lost the players in 2011. He lost his coaching staff in 2012. Pettine and Guge.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think your beloved logic is flawed yet again. They are not mutually exclusive. He can want Rex to coach and not be scared who the coach is. It is merely preference. I am sure fans of other teams are entertained by Rex.
    The problem with that is his first response to me directly related to what the Jets do. They mentioned nothing about being entertained by Rex.

And I quote:

Seriously?

I'd much prefer Wrecks staying for the next 10 years rather than the Jets finding a good, competent HC.

All the Jets are doing is paying a DC to be a HC.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I think hate is strong. I do think it should have been Idzik's choice 100%, and it sounds like it wasn't.

But every year, Rex has fielded a competitive (if not elite) defense, and now with an experienced and previously-successful guy running the offense, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Rex has had the bottom of the barrel as far as OCs - I think he deserves a shot with a competent signal-caller. And if he can find a way to get to 7 or 8 wins with this pathetic roster, I think he should stay even longer. 4 wins or less and he's probably gone.
    This. People can talk about blind loyalty to Mark all they want, but the guy was unfortunately the best QB on this roster and that's why you didn't see the change made until the Jets were mathematically eliminated. If you think for one second Rex wouldn't have trotted out a backup like Garrard LAST YEAR over Sanchez, then you are out of your friggin mind. I actually applaud him for not caving to the pressure to play Tebow. A switch like that, even at the end of the year, would have been a disaster. The last thing I saw Rex do last year was give Mark Sanchez an absolute death stare before walking of the field in buffalo. There is no "blind loyalty".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He lost the players in 2011. He lost his coaching staff in 2012. Pettine and Guge.
    Evidence please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else hate that REX is still here

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Evidence please.
    Guge basically saying that Ducasse is not his fault and that he was forced to play Ducasse against his wishes. After the season he is let go.

Pettine leaving and taking a lateral position within the same division after being rumored that he was one of Manish's sources.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He really wasn't. He was benched in the middle of a game and at the end of the year.

Plus if they did dog it in the San Diego game as people claim, then they let Sanchez get back in the starters role by letting McElroy get hurt. So they did it to themselves. in way.

And of course, to your point, there is no outstanding evidence.
    I don't have any insight to the Jets' FO, but if Rex truly believed Mark gave them the best chance to win, then the culpability falls on Tanny for not going out and trading or signing a viable alternative. It's basically like, "well we drafted this guy high and we're paying him a ton of money, so we're stuck with him." Good organizations don't think this way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guge basically saying he was forced to play Ducasse. After the season he is let go.

Pettine leaving and taking a lateral position within the same division after being rumored that he was one of Manish's sources.
    Now before I say anything, do you mean lose physically, mentally, or both?

If you meant mentally or any bit mentally then here is my response.

I don't recall seeing Ducasse play that much so I don't know what Guge is talking about.

Pettine dug his own grave by being a leak. That's his fault. Maybe some greasing palms, who knows.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I don't have any insight to the Jets' FO, but if Rex truly believed Mark gave them the best chance to win, then the culpability falls on Tanny for not going out and trading or signing a viable alternative. It's basically like, "well we drafted this guy high and we're paying him a ton of money, so we're stuck with him." Good organizations don't think this way.
    BINGO.

And that is backed up by the fact that it was Tanny himself who gave him that ton of money in the first place.

Now to be clear, Rex is loyal to a fault and probably kept Sanchez in a bit longer than he should have. But when he had to pull him, he did so.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now before I say anything, do you mean lose physically, mentally, or both?

If you meant mentally or any bit mentally then here is my response.

I don't recall seeing Ducasse play that much so I don't know what Guge is talking about.

Pettine dug his own grave by being a leak. That's his fault. Maybe some greasing palms, who knows.
    The point is that Rex lost both of these guys. Pettine was Rex's right hand man and he betrayed him. And Guge who was in his first year with the team came out publicly and criticized his boss.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    BINGO.

And that is backed up by the fact that it was Tanny himself who gave him that ton of money in the first place.

Now to be clear, Rex is loyal to a fault and probably kept Sanchez in a bit longer than he should have. But when he had to pull him, he did so.
    Well, none of us truly knows the power structure in place, but Rex was certainly high up on the ladder. Tanny admittedly lost his job due to that extension, so we know he's the main villain here, but if Rex had a more holistic football sense he'd have petitioned the FO to grab someone who could perform better at the QB position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody wanted the jets job with sanchez and holmes on the roster and the revis thing staring them in the face.

Idzik will get a bunch of picks for revis and we will most likely have the #1 pick in the draft next year. Sanchez and holmes will be cut.

Thats when you sell the head coaching job. Rex is just keeping the seat warm and saving woody one year of salary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The point is that Rex lost both of these guys. Pettine was Rex's right hand man and he betrayed him. And Guge who was in his first year with the team came out publicly and criticized his boss.
    It's about the WHY, though. We don't know why.

For Pettine, as I said, it could easily have been $$$$$$$.

Guge, I just think is insane and his credibility is left to be desired as these paragraphs show.

Openly hostile and at times downright unprofessional with the media, DeGuglielmo has created a trail of campfire stories for Jets beat reporters. During his introductory remarks last offseason, DeGuglielmo insisted he wasn't worried about the "ghosts of Bill Callahan." He then called Callahan to apologize.

At the same news conference, DeGuglielmo boldly backed failed right tackle Wayne Hunter. "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office," DeGuglielmo declared, "that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he's going to play well." Hunter promptly was traded to the St. Louis Rams before ever playing a down for his new position coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-parting-ways

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guge basically saying that Ducasse is not his fault and that he was forced to play Ducasse against his wishes. After the season he is let go.

Pettine leaving was not a lateral move.....he was never considered a def coord because of rex being here. It always was rexs def. He is getting out of rex ryans shadows and will try to make a name for himself. Typical troll response / thinking by you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I think hate is strong. I do think it should have been Idzik's choice 100%, and it sounds like it wasn't.

But every year, Rex has fielded a competitive (if not elite) defense, and now with an experienced and previously-successful guy running the offense, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Rex has had the bottom of the barrel as far as OCs - I think he deserves a shot with a competent signal-caller. And if he can find a way to get to 7 or 8 wins with this pathetic roster, I think he should stay even longer. 4 wins or less and he's probably gone.
    The Jets will be more competitive than people think. We only need a guy at QB that doesn't turn the ball over like Sanchez & a lot changes.
    Obviously I don't think we are a Superbowl team but fighting for a playoff spot should be the goal of every team, every year.
    You just never know in the NFL how things play out with injuries ect.

Hill could take a giant step, we could get a rookie runningback that makes us all realize that our Oline is not as bad as everyone says it is.

Marty might show us that there hasn't been a competent OC here for 7 years.

Rex might get the pass rusher & fast safety he's been looking for.

The idea that we have ZERO $ for a couple of FAs is the BS.
    Contracts can be constructed based on the where we will be after this season when we can unload Sanchez & holmes.

Obviously we wont be HUGE players in FA but if we draft really well, I think the NY Jets with the coaching staff they have, some good players in Mangold, Dbrick, Cro, Coples, Wilk, ect. won't be pushovers in the 2010 Indy sort of way.
    Keep in mind that the Bills never got any better last year, Bush, Smith,Long & maybe Hartline will leave Miami (That's a lot of turnover).
    Brady is just one good hit from the bench at his age.
    I never concede an entire season B4 it happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Nobody wanted the jets job with sanchez and holmes on the roster and the revis thing staring them in the face.

Idzik will get a bunch of picks for revis and we will most likely have the #1 pick in the draft next year. Sanchez and holmes will be cut.

Thats when you sell the head coaching job. Rex is just keeping the seat warm and saving woody one year of salary.
    How old are you? 12?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Thats when you sell the head coaching job. Rex is just keeping the seat warm and saving woody one year of salary
    My God! I had not thought about that. That actually makes a lot of sense. Woody thinking that a prime HC would not want to come in here with all of this mess around him and thinking that we can go through a complete cleansing next year.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 03-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Pettine leaving was not a lateral move.....he was never considered a def coord because of rex being here. It always was rexs def. He is getting out of rex ryans shadows and will try to make a name for himself. Typical troll response / thinking by you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    You can't be that naive.

They were BFFs. Rex always went out of his way to compliment Pettine and bring attention to him. And Pettine repays him by taking a job within the same division.

Here is what happened IMO. Rex took away Pettine's playcalling duties. Pettine gets pissed. The opportunistic weasel Manish swoops in and Pettine leaks like a sieve for two seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My God! I had not thought about that. That actually makes a lot of sense. Woody thinking that a prime HC would not want to come in here with all of this mess around him and thinking that we can go through a complete cleansing next year.
    But couldnt he have easily fired Rex and let it be known to the new GM that they can cut/fire whoever they want.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't be that naive.

They were BFFs. Rex always went out of his way to compliment Pettine and bring attention to him. And Pettine repays him by taking a job within the same division.

Here is what happened IMO. Rex took away Pettine's playcalling duties. Pettine gets pissed. The opportunistic weasel Manish swoops in and Pettine leaks like a sieve for two seasons.
    If that was true, why didn't Pettine just leave after Rex took his playcalling duties away? Plus I was never under the impression that he had playcalling duties in the first place.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guge also said that Wayne Hunter would be the starter, as long as he was the OL coach...... why would anyone believe anything he says.

Pettine, IMO, wanted to make a name for himself...... he would never do that, under Rex Ryan.

This is not something that's exclusive to Rex...... Belicheat has had plenty of coordinators leave, for a variety of reasons. And, upon leaving, some opened their mouths about the Pats. Mangini opened up the Spygate can of worms and McDaniels stated that cheating was common practice.

NO HC is a great OC and DC..... that's why you hire competent people to compliment your strengths. Belicheat won, when he had great coordinators, in Weis and Crennel. McCarthy has the best QB in the league, but he only won when Capers had the defense playing top 3. Payton is a great OC, with a great QB, but he only won when Williams had the defense top rated. I can keep going on and on...... but, the bottom line is there are no HCs that are great at offense AND defense....... there just AREN'T.