Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hate that REX is still here

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    But couldnt he have easily fired Rex and let it be known to the new GM that they can cut/fire whoever they want.
    True. But what we heard about that search was that the cap was a bigger issue than Rex staying.

Plus this is Woody Johnson we're talking about. The guy wants publicity. He wants a big name head coach to grab the headlines.

I just had a thought.

People have claimed that Idzik is not a personnel guy. What if Woody is setting up bringing in a big name head coach next year to not only coach but to control personnel?

What if Idzik is not a yes man for Rex, but a yes man for the next head coach?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If that was true, why didn't Pettine just leave after Rex took his playcalling duties away? Plus I was never under the impression that he had playcalling duties in the first place.
    That would have been the honorable thing to do.

I agree. Pettine was a figure head. But IMO he still betrayed Rex and Rex allowed it to happen. Supposedly the Jets knew about Pettine's behavior going back to 2011 and still retained him for 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    True. But what we heard about that search was that the cap was a bigger issue than Rex staying.

Plus this is Woody Johnson we're talking about. The guy wants publicity. He wants a big name head coach to grab the headlines.

I just had a thought.

People have claimed that Idzik is not a personnel guy. What if Woody is setting up bringing in a big name head coach next year to not only coach but to control personnel?

What if Idzik is not a yes man for Rex, but a yes man for the next head coach?
    I think Idzik is a yes man period.

If that was true, why didn't Pettine just leave after Rex took his playcalling duties away? Plus I was never under the impression that he had playcalling duties in the first place.
    He did. It's been reported. There are articles out there.

Hate is a powerful word. Having said that, the retention of Rex was a bad idea. My main fear is that in his desperation to save his career, he might do things that don't help the Jets in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The Jets will be more competitive than people think. We only need a guy at QB that doesn't turn the ball over like Sanchez & a lot changes.
    I disagree with this.
    If we get a QB who simply doesnt turn the ball over like Sanchez (a top 15-20 QB) then we go from a 4 win team to at best a 7 win team.

This team sucks bad. As of today we dont have a starting RB, 2 starting OGs, 2 starting Safeties, 2 starting OLBs. I dont mean we have bad players at these positions, I mean we dont have anyone who can start the whole season.

Plus, we have below average talent at WR, RT and TE and question marks at ILB (can Davis start? will Harris' play continue to decline?).

A starting QB who doesnt turn the ball over as much as Sanchez doesnt fix any of these problems.

A QB wh

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Rex is a good coach but make no mistake, that is NOT the reason he is still here.

Money is the reason. If Woody did not have to eat another two years of salary, he would be gone.

The Jets are rebuilding. Rex is a lame duck coach. Revis is leaving. Sanchez will be the starter. Jets fans will endure.
    THIS

He might end up being that for the next guy yes but not for Rex.

I think Woody Johnson is being a manipulator, not Rex Ryan.

Woody wants a big name head coach, but he knows that no big head coach is going to want to come into this situation, cap wise and talent wise. So he begins to set up for next year by getting rid of Tanny and hiring Idzik, who will be a yes man for the coach coming in next year, but will help to clean up the rest of the mess this year (i.e. trading Revis, making cuts etc.)

The Jets suck this year, Rex is fired and the Jets all of the sudden have a lot of potential cap room, good draft picks and are in need of a coach who can bring in good personnel and be a high profile head coach.

Woody is effectively undertaking a slow moving coup e'tat on Rex Ryan. And he is blocking it from Rex and the media by lavishing praise on him at the press conference.

Now I have no solid evidence for this, it is mostly conjecture. But it's awesome conjecture

And this is based on?

He might end up being that for the next guy yes but not for Rex.

I think Woody Johnson is being a manipulator, not Rex Ryan.

Woody wants a big name head coach, but he knows that no big head coach is going to want to come into this situation, cap wise and talent wise. So he begins to set up for next year by getting rid of Tanny and hiring Idzik, who will be a yes man for the coach coming in next year, but will help to clean up the rest of the mess this year (i.e. trading Revis, making cuts etc.)

The Jets suck this year, Rex is fired and the Jets all of the sudden have a lot of potential cap room, good draft picks and are in need of a coach who can bring in good personnel and be a high profile head coach.

Woody is effectively undertaking a slow moving coup e'tat on Rex Ryan. And he is blocking it from Rex and the media by lavishing praise on him at the press conference.

Now I have no solid evidence for this, it is mostly conjecture. But it's awesome conjecture
    LOL... if more forum posters were as honest as this, the Internet would be a better place.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    And this is based on?
    It was a half joke.

Remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Lucky to have him.

Sad some here can't see that
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I think hate is strong. I do think it should have been Idzik's choice 100%, and it sounds like it wasn't.

But every year, Rex has fielded a competitive (if not elite) defense, and now with an experienced and previously-successful guy running the offense, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Rex has had the bottom of the barrel as far as OCs - I think he deserves a shot with a competent signal-caller. And if he can find a way to get to 7 or 8 wins with this pathetic roster, I think he should stay even longer. 4 wins or less and he's probably gone.
    There's NO way this team ever loses more than 10 games again. It'll never happen now considering we have a competent GM and a top notch defense year in and year out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    But you can already see that Idzik and Rex are pretty far apart on some of the major issues including Revis
    Proof? Other than Mehta and Cimini?

Hall Of Fame
    Love Rex. I want him here for a long long time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    There's NO way this team ever loses more than 10 games again. It'll never happen now considering we have a competent GM and a top notch defense year in and year out.
    Wow! Such high standards.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    This is not a Rex bashing thread.

But you can already see that Idzik and Rex are pretty far apart on some of the major issues including Revis, and I just get a sick feeling because I think our rebuilding could be compromised because of it.

Woody was wrong to force Rex to stay. Idzik needs an open charter to rebuild the team, not fight continuously with a lame duck coach who will continue to want to keep washed up veterans and only draft defense.

It just really bothers me. Rex should be gone. Not after this season when the the Jets suck, likely with Sanchez again if Rex gets his way.
    Where can you "see that they are far apart"?

For a thread that isn't meant to bash Rex, all you did here was disguise the true point "Rex should be gone" with a bunch of unsubstantiated hyperbole.

In my experience differing points of view in a collaborative environment ALWAYS out-performs a room full of yes-men all agreeing with each other, where everyone is scared to give constructive input, or a different perspective.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Really?

The Jets are staring down the barrel of a 5-11 season next year.

They will once again be a bottom 5 offensive team and the defense can not stop a top 10 offense.

Rex would be great as a DC, but he has no business running an organization. It's not his mentality, strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Wow! Such high standards.