Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Cop shoots Cop

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,067

    Cop shoots Cop

    How is it a cop shoots another cop due to poor training or negligence and the home owner is charged with assault. I guess I get it, yet I wonder if we are giving away to much in the name of law and order.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    Man Charged With Reckless Endangerment, Assault After Cop Shoots Other Cop in the Back

    A Pennsylvania man was charged with reckless endangerment, assault, endangering the welfare of a child and illegal possession of a firearm in an incident that ended with one police officer shooting another in the back as they attempted to force their way through the door. Via the Pittsburgh Tribune Review:

    Police said Lijewski was carrying a loaded shotgun around his home in the 5100 block of Elmwood Drive when his girlfriend called 911. Four officers arrived, including Baldwin Borough police Sgt. Ralph Miller, who knocked on the front door while a second Baldwin officer moved into a backup position behind him.

    Lijewski answered the door but refused orders to show both hands. Miller could see a woman holding a child in the house and wanted to speak with her when Lijewski began shutting the door. The second Baldwin officer put his foot in the door, and Miller put his shoulder into the door to try to force it open wider.

    The second officer fired two shots with his patrol rifle, striking Miller, 54, between the bottom of his bulletproof vest and his belt.
    The key detail, though, comes via the AP:

    Police responded even after a woman called back to say Lijewski had unloaded the weapon and police were no longer needed.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Butt Fumble with bullets

  3. #3
    The key detail? You're serious? Woman calls in fear of her
    life because a male has a loaded gun, but you think because she called back and said he unloaded its all good?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    How is it a cop shoots another cop due to poor training or negligence and the home owner is charged with assault. I guess I get it, yet I wonder if we are giving away to much in the name of law and order.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    Man Charged With Reckless Endangerment, Assault After Cop Shoots Other Cop in the Back

    A Pennsylvania man was charged with reckless endangerment, assault, endangering the welfare of a child and illegal possession of a firearm in an incident that ended with one police officer shooting another in the back as they attempted to force their way through the door. Via the Pittsburgh Tribune Review:

    Police said Lijewski was carrying a loaded shotgun around his home in the 5100 block of Elmwood Drive when his girlfriend called 911. Four officers arrived, including Baldwin Borough police Sgt. Ralph Miller, who knocked on the front door while a second Baldwin officer moved into a backup position behind him.

    Lijewski answered the door but refused orders to show both hands. Miller could see a woman holding a child in the house and wanted to speak with her when Lijewski began shutting the door. The second Baldwin officer put his foot in the door, and Miller put his shoulder into the door to try to force it open wider.

    The second officer fired two shots with his patrol rifle, striking Miller, 54, between the bottom of his bulletproof vest and his belt.
    The key detail, though, comes via the AP:

    Police responded even after a woman called back to say Lijewski had unloaded the weapon and police were no longer needed.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    The key detail? You're serious? Woman calls in fear of her
    life because a male has a loaded gun, but you think because she called back and said he unloaded its all good?
    ==================================================

    I was thinking the key detail was that a cop had his booger finger on the trigger with out a target and not ready to shoot and had a negligent discharge into another cop, twice. And the alleged suspect gets charged.

    A butt fumble indeed.

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Butt Fumble with bullets
    Lol

    Sad but true.

    Those charges are not sustainable.

    For the record, the fact that she called back stating that he had unloaded the gun means nothing in this scenario, she could have made the call with a double barrell pressing on her temple.

    Cops blew it.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,663
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ==================================================

    I was thinking the key detail was that a cop had his booger finger on the trigger with out a target and not ready to shoot and had a negligent discharge into another cop, twice. And the alleged suspect gets charged.

    A butt fumble indeed.
    He wasn't charged with shooting a cop, he was charged with things he likely would have been charged with regardless of the shooting. You think he only got charged because a cop got shot?

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    He wasn't charged with shooting a cop, he was charged with things he likely would have been charged with regardless of the shooting. You think he only got charged because a cop got shot?
    I think because the article only mentioning an injury to the shot cop, he was referring to the assault charge.

    -

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,663
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I think because the article only mentioning an injury to the shot cop, he was referring to the assault charge.

    -
    Assault in pa would include menacing or threatening someone with a weapon. The girlfriend is likely the victim. I don't get the impression that he was charged with anything re; the shooting.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Assault in pa would include menacing or threatening someone with a weapon. The girlfriend is likely the victim. I don't get the impression that he was charged with anything re; the shooting.
    Unless the officer witnessed that act he can't be charged

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,663
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Unless the officer witnessed that act he can't be charged
    That's not true.

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Assault in pa would include menacing or threatening someone with a weapon. The girlfriend is likely the victim. I don't get the impression that he was charged with anything re; the shooting.
    Gotcha.

    Not familiar with the Assault statutes in Pa. Thats broader than the NYS parameters.

    Prayers for the Officers full recovery.

    -

  12. #12
    R.I.P Bacon.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    That's not true.
    It's absolutely true.

    § 8902. Arrest without warrant.
    (a) General rule.--For any of the following offenses, a
    police officer shall, upon view, have the right of arrest
    without warrant upon probable cause when there is ongoing
    conduct that imperils the personal security of any person or
    endangers public or private property:
    (1) Under Title 18 (relating to crimes and offenses)
    when such offense constitutes a summary offense:
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5503 (relating to disorderly conduct).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5505 (relating to public drunkenness).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5507 (relating to obstructing highways and
    other public passages).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6308 (relating to purchase, consumption,
    possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed
    beverages).
    (2) Violation of an ordinance of a city of the second
    class.
    (b) Guidelines by governmental body.--The right of arrest

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    He wasn't charged with shooting a cop, he was charged with things he likely would have been charged with regardless of the shooting. You think he only got charged because a cop got shot?
    =================================================

    Good point. I am assuming he was charged with assault for the negligent discharge of the patrol rifle. I just thought the story was different based on my assumption they charged him with assault and endangering a child because one cop shot another, but I probably do have it all wrong.

    The article is incomplete to all the details. I had read another article about this story that explained the Perp has a criminal record that prevents him from owning firearms, it also mentioned that a third officer who had been I guess covering the house around the corner and when he heard the two gunshots ran around the corner and returned fire on the cops at the door but thankfully he fired high and missed them.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    R.I.P Bacon.
    ================================================

    Could you expand on your thoughts a bit? Cause no one has died.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,663
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    It's absolutely true.

    § 8902. Arrest without warrant.
    (a) General rule.--For any of the following offenses, a
    police officer shall, upon view, have the right of arrest
    without warrant upon probable cause when there is ongoing
    conduct that imperils the personal security of any person or
    endangers public or private property:
    (1) Under Title 18 (relating to crimes and offenses)
    when such offense constitutes a summary offense:
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5503 (relating to disorderly conduct).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5505 (relating to public drunkenness).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 5507 (relating to obstructing highways and
    other public passages).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6308 (relating to purchase, consumption,
    possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed
    beverages).
    (2) Violation of an ordinance of a city of the second
    class.
    (b) Guidelines by governmental body.--The right of arrest
    Except that your list doesn't include assault, doesn't account for the warrantless arrest statue as it relates to domestic violence situations, as this clearly was, and nobody's talking about arrested; it says charged.

    I kinda know what I'm talking about here, friend.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Except that your list doesn't include assault, doesn't account for the warrantless arrest statue as it relates to domestic violence situations, as this clearly was, and nobody's talking about arrested; it says charged.

    I kinda know what I'm talking about here, friend.
    The actual article sheds more light on the charges.

    Lijewski ripped the phone off the wall when his girlfriend called 911, punched holes in the bathroom door and almost broke through a bedroom door where his girlfriend hid with two children, Scott said.
    Phil DiLucente, who with attorney Jim Ecker is representing Lijewski, said he is not sure whether his client would be facing charges if Miller had not been injured.
    “Police officers have a certain procedure they have to follow in any domestic call. If they had made entry and found there was no true victim under the circumstances, maybe not. In this particular case, the officer did get shot ,and there was an understanding that maybe a little more had gone on in the residence,” he said.
    Read more: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3...#ixzz2MvZUDwHn
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

  18. #18
    Why the hell isn't the LEO being charged with reckless endangerment? He discharged a weapon at a door as it was being closed. There were women and children in there, and he was reckless and irresponsible enough to hit another officer.

    Yeah, the guy parading around his home with a loaded shotgun destroying things ought to be charged with a crime, but is there any doubt that the most grievous crime was committed by one of the police officers responding to the situation?

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Except that your list doesn't include assault, doesn't account for the warrantless arrest statue as it relates to domestic violence situations, as this clearly was, and nobody's talking about arrested; it says charged.

    I kinda know what I'm talking about here, friend.
    forget it. cr726 read an article about it, now he's the world's foremost authority.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    forget it. cr726 read an article about it, now he's the world's foremost authority.
    Really? That's the best you got?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us