Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Draft Prospect Pro Day Updates/News

@TonyPauline: Phillip Thomas/S/Fresno St times 4.53s in forty at pro-day. Robbie Rouse/RB improves to 4.58. New England Patriots showing interest in Rouse

Lost in the shuffle of last week’s Rutgers pro-day was the performance of Columbia defensive end/outside linebacker Josh Martin. Measuring 6024/246, Martin timed the forty between 4.67s-to-4.70s, touched 37-inches in the vertical jump then timed 4.41s in the short shuttle and 7.28s in the 3 cone. Scouts were pleased that Martin, who primarily lined up at defensive end for Columbia, measured over 6′ 2” (he was listed at 6′ – 1.5″ prior to the season). He will workout again during Columbia’s pro-day on April 2nd. Sources tell me the New York Jets have shown an exceeding amount of interest in Martin.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6877

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree with just about every assessment here..... What the hell is going on?
    I dunno, but it doesn't bode well for us. Rule of thump - anyone Paradis likes, the Jets avoid like the plague!!

(however, last year we took Coples... so there's hope!)

@TonyPauline: Despite poor 40 times in part due to leg/hamstring injury, report from scouts is Jarvis Jones/LB/Georgia looked good in position drills...

@TonyPauline: not unexpected but everyone told me crowd at Georgia pro-day was huge; one of the biggest witnessed with GMs, HC's, position coaches, etc

@7BOOMERESIASON: Jarvis Jones calls himself the best player in the NFL draft http://t.co/CdF1dzUB2v via @ProFootballTalk The D Sanders tactic. #I'mtheman

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones has no doubts about where he ranks among the prospects in this year’s NFL draft.

“At the end of the day I think I’m the number one player,” Jones told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after performing for NFL scouts at Georgia’s Pro Day workout on Thursday.

Jones didn’t work out at the Scouting Combine, so Pro Day was his opportunity to show what kind of athlete he is. According to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner-Herald, Jones ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds, which would be a disappointing time for a linebacker who was hoping to show off his speed.

Whether Jones is the best player in the draft or not, he seems to be drawing a lot of interest from teams in the Top 5: He said after working out that he has visits scheduled with the Chiefs, Eagles and Lions.

@Sethemerson Jets coach Rex Ryan just slapped hands with Cornelius Washington, congratulated him on performance in linebacker drill.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    @Sethemerson Jets coach Rex Ryan just slapped hands with Cornelius Washington, congratulated him on performance in linebacker drill.
    Good find!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ton?id=2539232

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He's clearly the most athletic OLB prospect in the draft... I wonder if hell crack the 2nd round even

@TonyPauline: Despite poor 40 times in part due to leg/hamstring injury, report from scouts is Jarvis Jones/LB/Georgia looked good in position drills...

@TonyPauline: not unexpected but everyone told me crowd at Georgia pro-day was huge; one of the biggest witnessed with GMs, HC's, position coaches, etc
    Fwiw

@RichCimini: Rex Ryan attended Georgia pro day. Scout there told me LB Jarvis Jones had "terrible workout." Ran 4.90. #Jets

Hall Of Fame
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
    Jarvis Jones disappoints at Georgia Pro Day http://wp.me/p14QSB-7NuS

The reviews are in from Georgia’s Pro Day, and while linebacker Jarvis Jones declared himself the best player in the draft afterward, most other observers weren’t so impressed.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock reported from the Pro Day that Jones ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, and that representatives of multiple teams were alarmed that Jones was that slow.

“I think a 4.9 is a red flag,” Mayock said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: ‘Wow. A lot slower than we expected.’”

By way of comparison, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o was also marked down by several observers as too slow after he ran his 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine — and Te’o, who finished in 4.82 seconds, was faster than Jones.

A 40 time isn’t everything: As former NFL general manager Charley Casserly noted on NFL Network, Jones’s 40 is comparable to the 40 that Terrell Suggs ran at his Pro Day, a workout that had some people downgrading Suggs but didn’t dissuade the Ravens from spending a Top 10 pick on him — and didn’t stop Suggs from becoming one of the NFL’s best defensive players. But Suggs is also 260 pounds. In the next breath, Casserly said he couldn’t remember any linebackers Jones’s size (245 pounds) who were able to overcome a 4.9-second 40 and still play well in the NFL.

Jones does, of course, have plenty of good game tape to back him up: He wasn’t a two-time All-American for nothing. As Mayock said, the question facing NFL teams now is, “Do you throw out the 4.9 and go back to the tape and trust that he can do what you ask him to do?”

Jones has to hope teams are willing to do just that.

@NFL_ATL: Jarvis Jones has lackluster pro day http://t.co/nemYg4dvBS

Jarvis Jones did not have the best of days on Thursday.

Georgia linebacker didn't work out at the NFL Scouting Combine despite doctors clearing him of spinal stenosis stemming from a 2009 neck injury. It is why NFL masses eagerly awaited his March 21 pro day.

Jones didn't help his NFL Draft stock after running a muddy 4.92-second 40-yard dash in chilly conditions, The Associated Press reported Thursday. Among the linebackers who ran at the NFL Scouting Combine, only Virginia Tech's Bruce Taylor was slower. Jones' 20 bench-press reps would have tied for No. 16.

Those aren't the numbers you expect from a possible top 10 pick who recently called himself the best player in the draft.

"I'm a football player," Jones said after the workout. "It's about football, right? I'm a football player. That's what I do. At the end of the day, you get those drills -- I'm not saying they ain't worth nothing -- but you get those drills, running the 40 and all that stuff. You could get someone off the street who can run a 4.3, but they can't play football. That's easy."

NFL coaches Mike Smith (Atlanta Falcons), Rex Ryan (New York Jets) and Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers) were in attendance. Defensive coordinators Jack Del Rio (Denver Broncos), Rob Ryan (New Orleans Saints) and Ken Whisenhunt (San Diego Chargers) also were present.

Jones was an All-American for the Bulldogs, so one workout won't erase everything he put on tape. We'll have to wait to see what, if any, impact it has on his draft position.

@Gil_Brandt: Jarvis Jones didn't help self at UGA's pro day, running two 4.92 40s. Worked out at rush OLB and DE. DL John Jenkins ran solid 5.20, 5.23

Hall Of Fame
    So is Jarvis Jones a definite no at #9 this year? As each week passes it seems there are fewer and fewer guys that warrant a top 10 pick. Are guys getting too picked apart nowadays with all these scouts and draftnicks out there on websites and twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So is Jarvis Jones a definite no at #9 this year? As each week passes it seems there are fewer and fewer guys that warrant a top 10 pick. Are guys getting too picked apart nowadays with all these scouts and draftnicks out there on websites and twitter?
    Interesting..

@MoveTheSticks: Led SEC in sacks: '05-Willie Evans '06-J. Anderson '07-Marcus Howard '08-C. Dunlap '09-Antonio Coleman '10-N. Fairley, '11/12-Jarvis Jones

Interesting..

@MoveTheSticks: Led SEC in sacks: '05-Willie Evans '06-J. Anderson '07-Marcus Howard '08-C. Dunlap '09-Antonio Coleman '10-N. Fairley, '11/12-Jarvis Jones
    ouch!
    terrible list to be on

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    @MoveTheSticks: I can't remember a draft that was this unsettled at the top of the 1st rd. At this time, more questions than answers.

Hall Of Fame
    @MoveTheSticks: I can't remember a draft that was this unsettled at the top of the 1st rd. At this time, more questions than answers.
    Which is why we take Warmack or Cooper.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    He is a fine athletic specimen. Not sure if he is a great football player.

I'd still take Jones at 9. The guy has had two straight great years in the sec and watching him on tape he makes plays. The question is if he is not good enough for us from his 40 then who is he good enough for? Watch a later team like the Ravens or pats take him and he'll be a star for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd still take Jones at 9. The guy has had two straight great years in the sec and watching him on tape he makes plays. The question is if he is not good enough for us from his 40 then who is he good enough for? Watch a later team like the Ravens or pats take him and he'll be a star for years.
    I'm no draft expert, but I watched a handful of Georgia games and he passed the "do you notice him" test with flying colors. I didn't know anything about him and I kept going "who the f is that Jones guy?" He was forcing fumbles 10 yards down field, tackling guys for a loss and rushing the passer. No one is a can't miss and obviously his injury concerns are a big part of him dropping, but man... he's easily my favorite fit for the Jets and is just a straight play maker on a team that is desperate for them.