Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great signing!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Great signing!

FOR THE JETS!
    Brian Hartline signs 5 year 31 million $ contract?
    Are you kidding me?

My theory is not overpay for receivers. Calvin Johnson had the best year ever for a receiver....oh yea the Lions won all of 4 games.

Tanny is gone as much for the Holmes contract as Sanchez. Both Bill Belichick & Bill Parcells are guys that never overpay receivers.

Cro could cover Hartline with a kid in each arm. This is a good sign if it an indication of Miamis direction, let your LT & your most productive RB leave & sign. Middling WR to 31 million.
    The FA value will be when the dust settles & teams get close to the cap. I would love to see us get at least 1 veteran LB to compliment Harris, Davis, & whoever we take in the draft.
    I love what our competition in the division, Bills (stupid 100 mill for Williams)
    Fins (31 mill for Hartline), are doing. We only need Idzik to be fiscally responsible & reload this team with some young talent.
    Build this team toward Brady's demise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jokes on you! The deal is only 12 million guaranteed over 5 years. If you look at the breakdown, it's actually a very cap friendly contract.

Contracts are all about guaranteed money not overall dollars.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Jokes on you! The deal is only 12 million guaranteed over 5 years. If you look at the breakdown, it's actually a very cap friendly contract.

Contracts are all about guaranteed money not overall dollars.
    I was about to say this. The Dolphins are way under the cap, like $35M under and even further under in the future. Jake Long may end up being a FA, but they are in a position to "pay" a little extra this year and leave themselves much more flexible in the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I was about to say this. The Dolphins are way under the cap, like $35M under and even further under in the future. Jake Long may end up being a FA, but they are in a position to "pay" a little extra this year and leave themselves much more flexible in the future.
    Let em pay!
    Teams that are WAY UNDER the cap you don't think they don't overpay?
    Each & every agent knows what teams have in salary cap & I guarantee negotiate with that in mind.
    Thats how someone like Williams ends up in Buffalo!
    Cap money goes away quickly in FA
    And don't think for one moment that players in Miami aren't thinking, Hartline got what?
    Jets will be in a great position next year, you will all see.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Let em pay!
    Teams that are WAY UNDER the cap you don't think they don't overpay?
    Each & every agent knows what teams have in salary cap & I guarantee negotiate with that in mind.
    Thats how someone like Williams ends up in Buffalo!
    Cap money goes away quickly in FA
    And don't think for one moment that players in Miami aren't thinking, Hartline got what?
    Jets will be in a great position next year, you will all see.
    How did they over pay for him?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a start.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if u look at the structure of the deal it is not bad for them-also not for nothing but even though hartline is no stud wr1 I would take him over the cancer named Holmes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    FOR THE JETS!
    Are you kidding me?

My theory is not overpay for receivers. Calvin Johnson had the best year ever for a receiver....oh yea the Lions won all of 4 games.

Tanny is gone as much for the Holmes contract as Sanchez. Both Bill Belichick & Bill Parcells are guys that never overpay receivers.

Cro could cover Hartline with a kid in each arm. This is a good sign if it an indication of Miamis direction, let your LT & your most productive RB leave & sign. Middling WR to 31 million.
    The FA value will be when the dust settles & teams get close to the cap. I would love to see us get at least 1 veteran LB to compliment Harris, Davis, & whoever we take in the draft.
    I love what our competition in the division, Bills (stupid 100 mill for Williams)
    Fins (31 mill for Hartline), are doing. We only need Idzik to be fiscally responsible & reload this team with some young talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    FOR THE JETS!
    Are you kidding me?

In real money the deal is probably around 5 and 22 which is value. The guy is a starting #2 WR and you have him locked up for about 4.5 which is pretty much the same price that the pats paid for Lloyd. And 1 mil less that Meachem got.

Where is the value in having Cro at 11mill a year cover a WR making 1/2 that?

And Miami has 5 picks in the top 80
    Last edited by patman; 03-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's an average receiver making average bucks. He's is one of a couple receivers for Miami who had more catches than anyone on the Jets BTW.

Don't see a problem. I'd take him over Stephen Hill anyday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's better then every WR currently on our roster.

Miami is moving in the right direction. They have a HC and QB they believe in and are building around them.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the signing. You always pay a little more in free agency, but I don't think Hartline is really overpaid by much, if at all. I haven't seen the structuring of the contract so if anybody has that info I would appreciate it. But with only 12 million gauranteed, I think that is pretty team friendly. 5 to 6 million a year is pretty much standard rate for a #2 reciever isn't it? The only concern I have is the touchdown issue. I think more of those will come if we can get a #1 opposite him. He was going up against opposing teams #1 corner all year and still faired pretty well. I think once he's seeing the #2 corner during games, he'll do even better. The guy has very good hands, he's a good route runner, good team guy, and not a diva. I think it's a pretty low risk signing.

Also, one of the main reasons I wanted the dolphins to resign him (other than the fact that we don't have anybody else) is that I think it's important for a young qb to keep players he's familiar with and has a chemistry with. You guys know all too well with Sanchez that a qb needs time to develop that and you don't want to change targets year after year. Hartline is Tannehill's go to guy at the moment and a guy that he leans on. Very happy he resigned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I like the signing. You always pay a little more in free agency, but I don't think Hartline is really overpaid by much, if at all. I haven't seen the structuring of the contract so if anybody has that info I would appreciate it. But with only 12 million gauranteed, I think that is pretty team friendly. 5 to 6 million a year is pretty much standard rate for a #2 reciever isn't it? The only concern I have is the touchdown issue. I think more of those will come if we can get a #1 opposite him. He was going up against opposing teams #1 corner all year and still faired pretty well. I think once he's seeing the #2 corner during games, he'll do even better. The guy has very good hands, he's a good route runner, good team guy, and not a diva. I think it's a pretty low risk signing.

Also, one of the main reasons I wanted the dolphins to resign him (other than the fact that we don't have anybody else) is that I think it's important for a young qb to keep players he's familiar with and has a chemistry with. You guys know all too well with Sanchez that a qb needs time to develop that and you don't want to change targets year after year. Hartline is Tannehill's go to guy at the moment and a guy that he leans on. Very happy he resigned.
    The fins get Wallace or Jennings to go along with Bess and Hartline they will have the best WRs in the division. I think Miller will be solid and see a lot more action with a year of blitz pick up behind him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would anyone compare him to Stephen Hill? Do you think you would have been so high on him after his rookkie year? he caught a grand total of 10 more balls than Hill his rookie year. I would stick with Hill. MUCH more upside

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As we all know from dealing with Revis, from a player/agent perspective in negotiating new contracts, they could care less about the "cap friendliness" of the deal or what the contract might actually pay out in 5 years.

Instead, Mike Wallace will see Hartline's contract and say to the phins "If you think Brian Hartline is worth an average of $6 million a year and $12 million guaranteed, I want $12 million a year on average with $24 million guaranteed."

That's where Miami is screwing themselves. Mike Wallace and his representatives will tell the phins that he is worth twice as much a Brain Hartline....and that may just be a very legitimate argument.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The fins get Wallace or Jennings to go along with Bess and Hartline they will have the best WRs in the division. I think Miller will be solid and see a lot more action with a year of blitz pick up behind him.
    Yea if we get Wallace that would probably be true. Just got to have a quarterback to go with it. And even though I'm happy with Tannehill, and I think he can be the guy, he's not their yet.

Also, I'm really excited for Miller to get more playing time. He's a fun guy to watch, and in my opinion, one of the bigger steals in last years draft. For a guy as fast as he is, he's got great size to go along with it. He didn't play much last year, but when he did, he really made his mark. Needless to say, I have really high hopes for him.

Now if we could only get Egnew to turn things around. I was happy with the pick at the time, but man this guy is just a doofus lol. Just another example of why you don't reach for a combine star.

P.S. Patman, what do you think of Mike Wallace. He's intriguing for sure, and I do want him. But I also think he could turn out to be one of the bigger busts this offseason. Granted I haven't seen him play alot, and this is only what I read, but hearing things like he only runs 1 route, drops balls, and just doesn't put forth alot of effort if he's unhappy has me a bit worried. Also, I have alot of respect for the Steelers front office, and it seems like they usually know when to let a player go.

Either way, he's going to be way more overpaid than Hartline is. A reciever of his caliber and history shouldn't be making top 5 reciever money, but that's just what happens in free agency. Not a whole lot you can do about it if you want the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    Yea if we get Wallace that would probably be true. Just got to have a quarterback to go with it. And even though I'm happy with Tannehill, and I think he can be the guy, he's not their yet.

Also, I'm really excited for Miller to get more playing time. He's a fun guy to watch, and in my opinion, one of the bigger steals in last years draft. For a guy as fast as he is, he's got great size to go along with it. He didn't play much last year, but when he did, he really made his mark. Needless to say, I have really high hopes for him.

Now if we could only get Egnew to turn things around. I was happy with the pick at the time, but man this guy is just a doofus lol. Just another example of why you don't reach for a combine star.

P.S. Patman, what do you think of Mike Wallace. He's intriguing for sure, and I do want him. But I also think he could turn out to be one of the bigger busts this offseason. Granted I haven't seen him play alot, and this is only what I read, but hearing things like he only runs 1 route, drops balls, and just doesn't put forth alot of effort if he's unhappy has me a bit worried. Also, I have alot of respect for the Steelers front office, and it seems like they usually know when to let a player go.

Either way, he's going to be way more overpaid than Hartline is. A reciever of his caliber and history shouldn't be making top 5 reciever money, but that's just what happens in free agency. Not a whole lot you can do about it if you want the guy.
    From what i gather the guy is a me first type, but most WRs are. Dont read anythiing that he is bad in the lockerroom , but you dont read anything that he is good there either. Coming from Ariens offense he was asked torun 7, 8s and 9s. How well that transfers into the Green Bay route tree- I have my doubts. But as far as asking him to do what he does well l see a very limited chance for him to bust.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we are the last team to talk about others overpaying

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    While we're on the subject of Miami WR's what was the reasoning behind Marshall going to da bears and what were the details behind it?