Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Miami Dolphins re-sign quarterback Matt Moore

  1. #1

    Miami Dolphins re-sign quarterback Matt Moore

    The Miami Dolphins aren't finished re-signing their own players.

    NFL.com's Jeff Darlington reports quarterback Matt Moore has decided to stay in South Florida, signing a new contract with the Dolphins, according to a source close to the player. This comes hours after Miami re-signed wide receiver Brian Hartline.

    Terms of Moore's new contract were not immediately known and the Dolphins have yet to announce the deal.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ack-matt-moore

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    Yeah, thank god.

  3. #3
    Thats good news for us.

    I like moore as a player but we need to rebuild the position and he simply is too much of a stopgap at this point.

    Still would rather have flynn or nassib (or even lalich) in here for 2013.

  4. #4
    If Moore is content being a back-up QB, I'm glad we didn't sign him.

  5. #5
    Brady Quinn and a draft pick will be the competiton for Sanchez.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If Moore is content being a back-up QB, I'm glad we didn't sign him.
    Funny you say that.

    One of the things i took away from watching (and took away is with a grain of salt of course) from hard knocks was that moore was way too nice of a guy to be able to be "the man" for a team.

    He seemed like an excellent teammate and a fantastic backup to have in the room, but he didnt seem nearly competitive enough with the whole garrard/tannenhil situation to ever be able to make "the leap" as a legit QB.

    There is just a big d*ck factor that these QBs need to have from a leadership standpoint and he just didnt seem to have it.

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    I'm a little confused with this one. Unless he really likes livin la vida loca in South Florida, why not test the FA Market and see if he could land a starting gig somewhere?

    I like him more than most, I guess, but I've always thought that he could do fairly well if given the chance. I was somewhat surprised that they chose Tanehill to start over him last year (but considering he was a top 10 pick and has a hot wife , I guess I shouldn't have been).

  8. #8
    I got to give him credit...he is a loyal soldier. Thats rare to find these days in the NFL. But he could of definitely got more somewhere else.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Funny you say that.

    One of the things i took away from watching (and took away is with a grain of salt of course) from hard knocks was that moore was way too nice of a guy to be able to be "the man" for a team.

    He seemed like an excellent teammate and a fantastic backup to have in the room, but he didnt seem nearly competitive enough with the whole garrard/tannenhil situation to ever be able to make "the leap" as a legit QB.

    There is just a big d*ck factor that these QBs need to have from a leadership standpoint and he just didnt seem to have it.
    LMFAO...WoW you can tell all that from hard knocks??? How come your not a scout?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,303
    Good. Let's just sign Garrard and go get a Manuel or a Scott in the draft.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If Moore is content being a back-up QB, I'm glad we didn't sign him.

    My guess is that the deal is a long term a couple of mill a year with incentives for games played.

    This is a guy that has "only" made 7 mill so far in his career. He can roll the dice go with the jets and play for 1mill this year, hope to beat out Sanchez and hope that they don't draft a qb in the 2nd rd. if he comes up short, all of a sudden he is 30 YO and out of a job after having been beaten out by Sanchez and Garrard in back to back years.

    Or he could double the money he has already made by holding a clip board for the next 3 years. The guy probably has a wife and kids, I would have done the same thing.

    There is nothing wrong with wanting to be Damon Huard and make 15 mill over 12 years and have the nfl pension that goes along with being a 12 year vet.
    Last edited by patman; 03-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Good. Let's just sign Garrard and go get a Manuel or a Scott in the draft.
    Sorry but I cant stand Garrard. He has been awful for a very long time. To also say that he doesnt make mistakes is also a farce. The guy has thrown some back breaking INTs in the past. I would much rather have Moore than Garrard.

    I would prefer a trade for Flynn.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm a little confused with this one. Unless he really likes livin la vida loca in South Florida, why not test the FA Market and see if he could land a starting gig somewhere?

    I like him more than most, I guess, but I've always thought that he could do fairly well if given the chance. I was somewhat surprised that they chose Tanehill to start over him last year (but considering he was a top 10 pick and has a hot wife , I guess I shouldn't have been).
    I'm surprised at Moore's decision as well.

    There are at least 5 or 6 teams out there that Moore could have been the starting QB, including the Jets.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    LMFAO...WoW you can tell all that from hard knocks??? How come your not a scout?
    Great input jackass

    It had nothing to do with any attempted scouting prowess, but if you watched the show, you would have seen his personality in the meeting rooms and on the field. Had nothing to do with his talent.

    Not to mention, it appears I am 100% right in judging his competitiveness as rather then pursue one of the 5+ open competitions to be a starter in the league, he chose to stay on a team where he would go into the season as the backup.

    I wouldnt call that competitive.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Great input jackass

    It had nothing to do with any attempted scouting prowess, but if you watched the show, you would have seen his personality in the meeting rooms and on the field. Had nothing to do with his talent.

    Not to mention, it appears I am 100% right in judging his competitiveness as rather then pursue one of the 5+ open competitions to be a starter in the league, he chose to stay on a team where he would go into the season as the backup.

    I wouldnt call that competitive.
    Relax I was just busting balls

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,303
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Sorry but I cant stand Garrard. He has been awful for a very long time. To also say that he doesnt make mistakes is also a farce. The guy has thrown some back breaking INTs in the past. I would much rather have Moore than Garrard.

    I would prefer a trade for Flynn.
    Our cap is a mess. We can't tie up big money in a stopgap QB, which is what Moore would have been. We would have had to overpay him, which makes no sense given his lack of star quality and our cap situation. Flynn is likely out of our price-range. IMO Garrard is the best combination of talent, experience and - importantly - affordability for a short-term solution at QB until we draft and groom our next guy.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If Moore is content being a back-up QB, I'm glad we didn't sign him.
    Agreed, it really does suggest something about his competitive spirit ...

  18. #18
    trade for flynn but they wont

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,184
    Sorry he is off the market. By far the best FA option available.

    As long as the Jets DONT piss away a draft pick for hot garbage like Flynn or a first round pick for any of the duds in this draft, I'm OK. Sign Garrard cheap..draft a mid late rounder and let those two compete with GMac and Turnover machine...best man starts the season.

    OT...I hear it's snowing in the NE...not here in La Quinta. Tee time in less than two hours.YES.

  20. #20
    As a dolphins fan, I love this move. We keep a great teammate, good leader, and probably one of the best backups in the league.

    I'm also surprised he didn't test free agency, but I don't know if it necessarily shows he lacks drive or that competitive spirit. I think he's been quoted as saying he's comfortable in Miami. He has a family and home. He's got alot of friends and whatnot. He could spend the money to move and fight for a job that he may not even get. Even if he did win the job, most teams (like the dolphins did) will draft another qb, not planning on Moore being their future.

    I can also see where you can make the case that it reflects badly on him, I just happen to disagree. Either way, I don't need a super competitive, fiery, backup qb. Just want a guy that with help teach and encourage the young gun, with the ability to step in a game or two if need be.
    Last edited by jp5002; 03-08-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us