Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami Dolphins re-sign quarterback Matt Moore

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Sorry he is off the market. By far the best FA option available.

As long as the Jets DONT piss away a draft pick for hot garbage like Flynn or a first round pick for any of the duds in this draft, I'm OK. Sign Garrard cheap..draft a mid late rounder and let those two compete with GMac and Turnover machine...best man starts the season.

OT...I hear it's snowing in the NE...not here in La Quinta. Tee time in less than two hours.YES.
    Rational thinking from SG3. I agree with you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    As a dolphins fan, I love this move. We keep a great teammate, good leader, and probably one of the best backups in the league.

I'm also surprised he didn't test free agency, but I don't know if it necessarily shows he lacks drive or that competitive spirit. I think he's been quoted as saying he's comfortable in Miami. He has a family and home. He's got alot of friends and whatnot. He could spend the money to move and fight for a job that he may not even get. Even if he did win the job, most teams (like the dolphins did) will draft another qb, not planning on Moore being their future.

I can also see where you can make the case that it reflects badly on him, I just happen to disagree. Either way, I don't need a super competitive, fiery, backup qb. Just want a guy that with help teach and encourage the young gun, with the ability to step in a game or too if need be.
    I dont think it reflects poorly as him as a man/person, but competitivness-wise not sure how it couldnt.

Belive me, if i was in his shoes - financial stability, less chance of injury, young team, fla weather in the fall/winter and no state income tax. Sounds better then getting inhilated every game up in buffalo

As a dolphins fan, I love this move. We keep a great teammate, good leader, and probably one of the best backups in the league.

I'm also surprised he didn't test free agency, but I don't know if it necessarily shows he lacks drive or that competitive spirit. I think he's been quoted as saying he's comfortable in Miami. He has a family and home. He's got alot of friends and whatnot. He could spend the money to move and fight for a job that he may not even get. Even if he did win the job, most teams (like the dolphins did) will draft another qb, not planning on Moore being their future.

I can also see where you can make the case that it reflects badly on him, I just happen to disagree. Either way, I don't need a super competitive, fiery, backup qb. Just want a guy that with help teach and encourage the young gun, with the ability to step in a game or too if need be.

But the jet fans wanted him if he had that persona that you agree he does not have. The jets wanted him to be a starter and your content with him holding a clipboard as a b/u. You have much less aspirations for the player.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont think it reflects poorly as him as a man/person, but competitivness-wise not sure how it couldnt.

Belive me, if i was in his shoes - financial stability, less chance of injury, young team, fla weather in the fall/winter and no state income tax. Sounds better then getting inhilated every game up in buffalo
    Exactly, we fans forget that this is a job for them. He is no longer a 21 YO kid dreaming of glory, but a 29YO man that does wants to milk this opportunity into not having to "work" for the rest of his life.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be Damon Huard and make 15 mill over 12 years and have the nfl pension that goes along with being a 12 year vet.
    +1

This guy would never be stepping into any position where he was 'the man' - only a stopgap. And as Patman correctly points out, once you're on the outs in the NFL it can be real hard to get back into a lucrative groove.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Any word on how much/how long they gave him? If they were going to give him the high end of what backups make (close to $4m), then I could see why he'd take it. There's definitely a benefit to pocketing that much coin, keeping your family situation stable, and not getting the sh!t kicked out of you game in/game out.

I think Kyle Orton got a 3yr/$10.5m deal. If Moore is getting a deal in the neighborhood - I suspect he would - I understand it from both ends.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Any word on how much/how long they gave him? If they were going to give him the high end of what backups make (close to $4m), then I could see why he'd take it. There's definitely a benefit to pocketing that much coin, keeping your family situation stable, and not getting the sh!t kicked out of you game in/game out.

I think Kyle Orton got a 3yr/$10.5m deal. If Moore is getting a deal in the neighborhood - I suspect he would - I understand it from both ends.
    2 year contract for $8MM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If I'm Moore, I'd probably take that as well. He'll be 32 when he comes out of this deal, and probably in line for backup gigs until he's 36 or so at slightly less per year. And he'll be able to walk and turn his head without the help of Vicodan.

Not a bad gig overall.

Draft Mike Glennon!!!!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Sorry but I cant stand Garrard. He has been awful for a very long time. To also say that he doesnt make mistakes is also a farce. The guy has thrown some back breaking INTs in the past. I would much rather have Moore than Garrard.

I would prefer a trade for Flynn.
    I think Garrard actually beat out both Tannehill and Moore last season before getting hurt. Garrard made the probowl in his last season as a starter.

No way we can afford Flynn. How would we pay him with all our other needs?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But the jet fans wanted him if he had that persona that you agree he does not have. The jets wanted him to be a starter and your content with him holding a clipboard as a b/u. You have much less aspirations for the player.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm a dolphins fan so yes I'm extremely content with him holding a clipboard. I don't think it's important for the backup to have the mindset of the starter. It's not a bad thing either. I just think it's fine if he knows his place on the team at this stage of his career, and he's content with holding that clipboard and being the best backup he can be.

Also, I do think he could go somewhere and start, at least briefly. So I guess I'll acknowledge that you may be correct and he doesn't have the persona that the Jets would prefer. That being said, as a dolphins fan, I'm ok with that.

Also, 2 years at 8 million makes me understand this decision better. Thats very good pay for a backup.

Also, I didn't mean that it reflected badly on him as a man/person. I was commenting on the fact that some posters said it reflected poorly on his compeititiveness. I disagreed, but based on what patman is saying, I guess I sort of change my mind. This is only if I was another team and wanted him as a starter. I might change my mind now knowing he's content to be a backup. But again, as a dolphins fan, I don't mind it at all. And with the salary he's getting, and the comfort of staying put and with a team you like, I can understand the decision.

He would have probably been the best FA option at QB for the Jets, but obviously he's more comfortable being a backup where he is - which is his prerogative, I guess. I'm cool with signing Garrard and drafting someone in the middle rounds and letting everyone duke it out in camp.

Also, to the Jets fans that may have wanted Matt Moore to take Sanchez' job, Moore has been a notoriously bad practice player. And although I think Sanchez is pretty awful himself, I don't know if Moore would have taken his job during training camp and I know that's what most Jets fans want. I think Garrard if healthy has a much better chance of winning a Qb battle in training camp.

All Pro
    $8M over two years makes it an easy decision for him. That's very good money for a backup QB.

We would probably have had to offer in the region of $5M a year on a long-term commitment to have had any chance at him. For a guy who would be a stop-gap, unless anyone truly believed that Moore would have been a long-term solution, that would have been too much to pay IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    $8M over two years makes it an easy decision for him. That's very good money for a backup QB.

We would probably have had to offer in the region of $5M a year on a long-term commitment to have had any chance at him. For a guy who would be a stop-gap, unless anyone truly believed that Moore would have been a long-term solution, that would have been too much to pay IMHO.
    i was surprised Miami payed that much with how well Tanehill played

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    i was surprised Miami payed that much with how well Tanehill played
    But when your only paying your starter less than 3 a year, you can afford to spend the extra money on the best back up you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I agree with you though, the Jets are not the only team Moore could have started for. Tennessee, Jacksonville, Arizona etc. He might have just cost himself some money and a starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm a little confused with this one. Unless he really likes livin la vida loca in South Florida, why not test the FA Market and see if he could land a starting gig somewhere?

I like him more than most, I guess, but I've always thought that he could do fairly well if given the chance. I was somewhat surprised that they chose Tanehill to start over him last year (but considering he was a top 10 pick and has a hot wife , I guess I shouldn't have been).
    See this is what a lot of fans didn't get. Career wise it is a better move for a guy like him just to stay a BU. Unless someone is willing to give you Flynn money to be the man that is. He will make 8 mil min in the next 2 years and will still be young at the end of the deal. We couldn't pay him more then that to be honest. I think he could have gotten more in FA but that is not a bad deal at all for him and he did like Miami. Anyone who thought he was going to sign for less then that was kidding themselves. As a career BU he can play well past 30 and still make 3-5 mil a year right now. If he signs to be a starter and looks horrid that is pretty much the end of that kind of money. Even if he succeeded no one would commit to him this late in his career. If he can get a job after bombing he'd be lucky to make over 2 mil. This way he remains a high paid BU for years and no risk. Not to mention you don't have to take a beating on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    We keep a great teammate, good leader
    A little redundant, no?

Bummer. He would have been perfect for us until we found a stud through the draft.