Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mornhinweg says Jets can get by without an accurate quarterback

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    he came to the right team -that is all we have is in accurate qbs-it pains me beyond belief to say it but sanchez is going to be the qb next year-jets are going to tank the season but as a season ticket holder I am not thrilled paying for garbage-I have been going since I was a kid over 30 years ago and this season my expectations are the worst ever-even in the past when awful they still had a playmaker or two-this year once revis is gone they will have ZERO stars on the team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    From Tony on his site

Ryan Nassib having dinner with the Jets tonight...

Marty Mornhinweg and company at workout and loved his passing today...

To a question regarding this as a smokescreen:

and if Jets are looking at him at #9:

Tony's writeup:

Syracuse
    If there were any questions about his passing skills leaving the combine, Ryan Nassib answered them all today with an impressive pro-day workout.

The signal caller threw 75 passes under the guidance of his coaches, former NFL offensive coordinator Paul Hackett and former All Pro signal caller Ken Anderson. All but four passes were caught. Three passes were dropped by receivers while the fourth was a catchable pass yet just slightly high of the mark at the end of the workout.

Nassib significantly improved his downfield accuracy and the placement of his deep outs. The long passes did not float as much as they had in the past and all his throws had excellent speed. Most impressive was the accuracy and speed Nassib displayed on his move throws late in the workout. Despite the grinding routine throughout the workout Nassib swiftly sprinted outside the tackle box and was dead on passing in motion.

Nassib is scheduled to have dinner with the New York Jets this evening, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg included.

http://www.draftinsider.net/
    Right now I wouldn't say it's a smoke screen, but I'm hoping a bunch of leaks leading up to the draft say the Jets are interested, then we'll know...

I don't see how a kid who looked so so in college and not great at the combine compared to the other QBs, gets drafted early based on a scripted pro day.

Hopefully the Jets learned a lesson with Sanchez in that regard.
    His pro day was one of the best in recent years per Phil Simms.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty Mornhinweg once deliberately gave the ball to the Bears in overtime immediately after winning the coin toss.

That is all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Right now I wouldn't say it's a smoke screen, but I'm hoping a bunch of leaks leading up to the draft say the Jets are interested, then we'll know...

I don't see how a kid who looked so so in college and not great at the combine compared to the other QBs, gets drafted early based on a scripted pro day.

Hopefully the Jets learned a lesson with Sanchez in that regard.
    His pro day was one of the best in recent years per Phil Simms.
    Agreed. This is where teams can make mistakes by placing too much emphasis on these pro days. We hear these stories every year about guys who look like they have improved so much from the end of the season just a few months ago, and then look like their old selves when they put the pads on in live action during training camp.

ANY decent QB prospect should only have a few incomplete passes at their pro day, it would be more noteworthy if they looked bad during their pro day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Marty Mornhinweg once deliberately gave the ball to the Bears in overtime immediately after winning the coin toss.

That is all.
    Yep..As a HC...He's now just the OC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty, stop suckling on the teat of stupidity. None of us Jet fans wants a "company man" for an OC. Just speak the truth that every QB on our roster sucks. In a football sense, of course; not literally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And that assurance is pretty meaningless if/when you go 4-12 with a sh!tty offense.
    coaches contracts are guaranteed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    coaches contracts are guaranteed.
    Thanks - Does that mean he won't get fired????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Tony on his site

Ryan Nassib having dinner with the Jets tonight...

Marty Mornhinweg and company at workout and loved his passing today...

To a question regarding this as a smokescreen:

and if Jets are looking at him at #9:

Tony's writeup:

Syracuse
    If there were any questions about his passing skills leaving the combine, Ryan Nassib answered them all today with an impressive pro-day workout.

The signal caller threw 75 passes under the guidance of his coaches, former NFL offensive coordinator Paul Hackett and former All Pro signal caller Ken Anderson. All but four passes were caught. Three passes were dropped by receivers while the fourth was a catchable pass yet just slightly high of the mark at the end of the workout.

Nassib significantly improved his downfield accuracy and the placement of his deep outs. The long passes did not float as much as they had in the past and all his throws had excellent speed. Most impressive was the accuracy and speed Nassib displayed on his move throws late in the workout. Despite the grinding routine throughout the workout Nassib swiftly sprinted outside the tackle box and was dead on passing in motion.

Nassib is scheduled to have dinner with the New York Jets this evening, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg included.

http://www.draftinsider.net/
    there's no smokescreens here. the jets are looking to draft another qb. which round, who knows. but i imagine they expect to get extra picks from trading revis and it wouldn't be surprising if they took a qb in the 2nd round. i expect to read they're meeting with ej, glennon, etc. idzik seems like a thorough guy.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep..As a HC...He's now just the OC.

Dude, I kinda know that already. My point is that stupidity seems to be part of the MM package. You don't need an accurate QB? Then dropping Favre's name? The funny thing is another poster here this week said watching Sanchez' early years and compared it to watching a young Unitas. How MS gets others to include his name in sentences with truly great QBs is one of nature's biggest mysteries

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way to spin this positively. This was a stupid comment. I hope he was lying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There is no way to spin this positively. This was a stupid comment. I hope he was lying.
    Sounds like he's saying "My offense can work with Mark or Tim or whoever"

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Sounds like he's saying "My offense can work with Mark or Tim or whoever"
    And he'll be severely disappointed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The interview yielded another nugget. Mornhinweg said he was planning to use running backs as short yardage receivers when applicable.

espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21222/mornhinweg-more-to-qb-than-percentage?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitt er

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    jpk6044 says: Mar 8, 2013 7:28 AM

“Icebergs really aren’t a problem,” said the captain of the Titanic.
    LOL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any guys here that have experience as an OC in the NFL???........thought so...

Ill take MM's word for it...for now..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brett Farve threw a lot of very deep routes; therefore, his completion percentage was a lot lower. Sanchez misses on the short stuff way too often. He's got the panicitisis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-quarterback/

Maybe im reading too much into this, but that sounds a lot like Tebow.
    In a rebuilding year with PSL issues, it makes sense to keep Tebow on the team and even start so all the Tebowites can go to the game and ESPN can follow his every move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem seemed more in the question and followup because there was no common frame of reference.

Mweg said that you didn't need accuract QB but then gave an example of Favre who had no worse than a 59% compl. percentage which is nearly 4 points better than Sanchez' best and 12 points higher than Tebow.

The interviewer shouldve followed up the question by asking, "Are you saying that Favre is your example of an 'innacurate' quarterback?" If Mweg said yes, then the interviewer shouldve pointed out the difference between the completion percentages.

Sanchez hasn't even been close to being mediocre compl. percentage wise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Rex said last years team was his most talented. We all know he was lying.

I think we all take these too serious. People look at a word or two and dissect it up, down and sideways

What's all that matters is MMs resume as an OC/developer of QBs, which is pretty darn good.