Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mornhinweg says Jets can get by without an accurate quarterback

Mornhinweg says Jets can get by without an accurate quarterback

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-quarterback/

Maybe im reading too much into this, but that sounds a lot like Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Obviously, that's what McNabb was, inaccurate.

I think that is total BS. I think that was the smart thing to say because of the way the media undermines players. I really think there will be a QB change next season, Sanchez is done and I am sure they are trying to trade him. Saying anything negative will just make him even more unappealing....even though there is not much more wiggle room.

All Pro
    Marty is a Tebowite.

"Get by" might mean survive at 6-10.
    His comment is just plain stupid. Think before you speak, please.
    Now comparing Sanchez to Favre? Right. Favre was the ultimate "Mad Bomber". High reward, lower success rate. Plus Favre could improvise and had confidence. Sanchez has NOTHING.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can someone please come in here and demand excellence? I mean, why arent these guys coming in here and saying,"Damn right they need to be accurate. Its the qbs job to get the ball to the receivers where they can catch it."

Probably just putting out there in case Sanchez is the starter and 3-4 games into the season, the Jets are winless and Sanchez is complete 50% of his passes...

If he says you need an accurate qb and there's not one on the roster at the start of the season, then what?

Also Favre was an accurate passer, to say he want is laughable... He was just more aggressive, had a hige arm and took more shots down the field than anyone else.

His last few years (2008 and 2009) when he didn't have quite the arm and had to be more of a game manager, he completed 65.7% and 68.4%...

He'll be gone after the season along with Rex and the rest of his staff.

It's going to be a long year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Can someone please come in here and demand excellence? I mean, why arent these guys coming in here and saying,"Damn right they need to be accurate. Its the qbs job to get the ball to the receivers where they can catch it."
    I like your thinking....but not with the NY media.

Its good to lay low for now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    He'll be gone after the season along with Rex and the rest of his staff.

It's going to be a long year.
    Agreed. Unless Idzik hires Bevel from the Hawks. Maybe Bevel keeps marty around.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We also don't need Wr's who can catch or running backs who can run.

Extend Hill and resign Greene. And awwwwway we go....SOJ

When your team at the top is run by a bafoon, this is the type of sh*t we get.

Hall Of Fame
    I loved some of the comments at the bottom of the article...LOL.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Agreed. Unless Idzik hires Bevel from the Hawks. Maybe Bevel keeps marty around.

I don't think MM would have come here without Idzik's reassurance that he stays if Rex goes.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I don't think MM would have come here without Idzik's reassurance that he stays if Rex goes.
    Maybe as HC?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Maybe as HC?
    oof. Let's hope not.

Jets Insider VIP
    oof. Let's hope not.
    If he succeeds as OC, Rex most likely isn't going anywhere.

The flavorless Jets offense of a year ago won't be returning to New York this season, according to Marty Mornhinweg.

The team's new offensive coordinator is anxious to install his West Coast scheme in hopes of reviving an attack that crumbled to 30th in the league in 2012.

"We're gonna go after people," Mornhinweg told the team's official site.

"There's different ways to go after people, but we're going to go after 'em and we're going to play to our players' strengths rather than concerning ourselves too much about their weaknesses. If a man can't do that, then we'll get another player that can for that particular play."

These words sound brilliant in March, but the Jets currently employ the same trio of quarterbacks -- Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy -- they went into battle with last season.

No matter what the Jets say, Tebow is gone, but Sanchez lingers. Pro Football Focus graded him as the second-worst passer in the league for the second year running in 2012. Over his career, Sanchez has never completed more than 40 percent of his passes under pressure, something he saw plenty of last season.

Mornhinweg has inherited a grisly mess, but waxed optimistic this week about his stable of quarterbacks.

"Some of the great ones have really not thrown for such great accuracy," Mornhinweg said. "Steve Young was astronomical accuracy-wise. Brett Favre wasn't. They all come in different shapes and sizes. Those guys that throw for a little bit less accuracy typically generating a little bit bigger plays on occasion. There's a little bit of a tradeoff there."

Young and Favre are memories and the Jets have nothing close. We wouldn't be surprised to see the team go on a hunt for new blood. Matt Moore is off the market -- he would have been better than anything New York has at the moment -- but there's also the draft. Bottom line: Four years after rolling the dice on Sanchez, it's time for the Jets to rethink the equation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

Why wouldn't he? he did not have a job-Marty is not a Holmgren-Norv Turner- Gruden- Payton-Reid level OC, where something like that will be included in a contract. Your not going to turn down Gruden or Cowher because they don't want Marty. If he got a multi year contract that is all the assurance he needs or should have expected.

From Tony on his site

Ryan Nassib having dinner with the Jets tonight...

Marty Mornhinweg and company at workout and loved his passing today...

To a question regarding this as a smokescreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_TFY View Post
    no way....
    and if Jets are looking at him at #9:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_TFY View Post
    no, rnd two or trade into late one...
    Tony's writeup:

Syracuse
    If there were any questions about his passing skills leaving the combine, Ryan Nassib answered them all today with an impressive pro-day workout.

The signal caller threw 75 passes under the guidance of his coaches, former NFL offensive coordinator Paul Hackett and former All Pro signal caller Ken Anderson. All but four passes were caught. Three passes were dropped by receivers while the fourth was a catchable pass yet just slightly high of the mark at the end of the workout.

Nassib significantly improved his downfield accuracy and the placement of his deep outs. The long passes did not float as much as they had in the past and all his throws had excellent speed. Most impressive was the accuracy and speed Nassib displayed on his move throws late in the workout. Despite the grinding routine throughout the workout Nassib swiftly sprinted outside the tackle box and was dead on passing in motion.

Nassib is scheduled to have dinner with the New York Jets this evening, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg included.

http://www.draftinsider.net/

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why wouldn't he? he did not have a job-Marty is not a Holmgren-Norv Turner- Gruden- Payton-Reid level OC, where something like that will be included in a contract. Your not going to turn down Gruden or Cowher because they don't want Marty. If he got a multi year contract that is all the assurance he needs or should have expected.
    And that assurance is pretty meaningless if/when you go 4-12 with a sh!tty offense.