Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious, Sherman v Bayless

Hilarious, Sherman v Bayless

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9310--nfl.html

If you watch ESPN's horrific "debate" program "First Take," (and under normal circumstances, our first question would be, WHY?), you know that its two primary instigators, Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith, are empty, pompous gasbags with no credibility whatsoever. As Smith himself might say at a volume that is impossible to express with sufficient font size, THOSE ARE FACTS.
    When Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went on the show Thursday morning, you had to expect fireworks -- after all, Sherman is himself known for putting himself out there with some inflammatory remarks. The first-team All-Pro is one of the best at his position in the business, but he does rub some people the wrong way by expressing his greatness in some interesting ways. His recent Twitter beef with Darrelle Revis was one of many examples.
    So, when Bayless apparently opined that Sherman wasn't in Revis' class (using all of the tape-watching he puts in when he's getting his devil horns polished every morning), Sherman had quite a few things to say about it. A transcript of the most incendiary portion of the conversation, courtesy of ESPN's Mike Sando:
    "I believe my numbers speak for themselves," Sherman told Smith. "My tape speaks for itself. My tape is my resume. That is what I leave it up to. You can say whatever you want. Skip can say whatever he wants. But Skip, whenever you refer to me, whenever you speak to me, whenever you address me, address me as 'All-Pro Stanford graduate' because those are some accomplishments you'll never -- you can aspire to, you'll never accomplish."
    Sherman was just getting started.
    "You have never accomplished anything," he continued, focusing on Bayless. "So, but, um, those things are on my resume, those are what I've done, it's my second year in the NFL going into my third. I mean, you tell me who's wrong."
    Bayless: "OK, I'll accept that. I think I've accomplished more in my field than you have in yours, though you're just getting started."
    Sherman: "So, I'm at the top of my field. I'm All-Pro. I'm one of the best 22 players in the NFL. You're going to brush it off, but I don't think you're the best 22 anything. In sports, in media, in anything."
    Bayless: "That's debatable."
    Sherman: "You think more of yourself that you actually can prove."
    Bayless: "OK, do you think you are better than Darrelle Revis is right now?"
    Sherman: "In my 24 years of life, I'm better at life than you."
    Bayless: "OK, all right, that's fair, all right."
    Sherman: "Let's get down to brass tacks."
    Bayless: "Let's not get personal here. I just want to know --"
    Sherman: "It's not personal. It's resume."
    Bayless: "Do you think you're better than Darrelle Revis is right now?"
    Sherman: "I'm better than you. I have nothing to say about him. That is pretty much done. My numbers speak for themselves."
    So, yeah. That happened. And we just watched more "First Take" than we have since Rob Parker vomited all over himself and ruined his career on national television. When, oh when, will this ridiculousness end?

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

I love this guy

Veteran
    It's about time some took that arrogant egomaniac down a few notches

All League
    Sherman can be a bit of a tool but good for him. Most sports show talking heads are nothing more than articulate sports fans. Someone told skippy to get over himself, lol.

Veteran
    They knew what they were getting when they asked him to come on the show.

Horrible segment. Sherman sounds like an immature 15 year old in this. There are ways to knock someone down a peg. There are ways you can bring yourself down a few pegs in the process. This was a case of the latter.

The Jets circus continues.

"You're not letting your numbers and play do the talking, YOU'RE doing the talking, over and over and over again." - Bayless

I don't really see this as a win for Sherman; he walked right into Bayless' trap. His only goal is to get people riled up.

Hall Of Fame
    Sherman is a clown. I didn't realize that he went to Stanford. Probably where he got hooked on the Adderall.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. Just curious - what made him fall that far? His knee injury?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. Just curious - what made him fall that far? His knee injury?
    Not exactly sure, but he was a converted WR at Stanford. So while he had the height/speed/strength you want in a CB he was probably very raw and teams figured he needed time before he could start in the NFL.

What helps him even more is that he has a chip on his shoulder for being taken so late in the draft (sort of like the Tom Brady of CBs).

All Pro
    As much as Skip deserved every bit of that lambasting from Sherman, he really needs to STFU. You can catch all of the INT's you want, Revis would have never gotten beat like a drum by Julio Jones in the playoffs.....

This is not hilarious, it's awful. Athletes going on that atrocious show gives it the credibility it does not in any way deserve.

All League
    Charter JI Member

It's all an act on Sherman's part to draw attention to himself.

He's stuck in Seattle, if he doesn't draw attention to himself he would be a forgotten man.

He may be coming off as an ass....but EVERYBODY is talking about him.

He's gone from a no name to a big name, not because of his play on the field, but because of his antics in the media.

He's gone from someone only close followers of football (and Seattle fans) knew about, to becoming well known, even by casual fans.

Meh, who cares... the NFL needed another Ocho Cinco, and they found their guy.

Good for him, he is now the best player in the NFL at getting tweeted about in March.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Meh, who cares... the NFL needed another Ocho Cinco, and they found their guy.

Good for him, he is now the best player in the NFL at getting tweeted about in March.
    Why is this though? Does what these guys say / do off the field (legally) really that important? If every NFL player were quiet as church mice in the offseason, would it devalue the in-season product to a fan?

I'm asking this generally, btw, I'm not attacking your point

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Why is this though? Does what these guys say / do off the field (legally) really that important? If every NFL player were quiet as church mice in the offseason, would it devalue the in-season product to a fan?

I'm asking this generally, btw, I'm not attacking your point
    It wouldn't devalue to it to me and you, avid football fans, but to the casual fan it might.

Controversy and being boisterous is what sells here in America my friend...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    It's about time some took that arrogant egomaniac down a few notches
    Seriously? Did you watch the clip? Sherman continues to make a damn fool of himself. While I do agree Bayless is an arrogant prick sometimes, Sherman just basically kept trying to talk over Skip the entire time. Even when he was trying to ask him football related questions Sherman made it very personal and basically was attacking Skip. To me, he looked and sounded completely unprofessional.

The guy may be a rising star on the field, but he needs some serious coaching in his personal public relations department.

Practice Squad
    I don't even like Skip, but he was the only one who came off looking professional in that interview.

Sherman looked like a certified c0ck juggling thunderc*nt