Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Go To" Beers

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I'm a big Belgian enthusiast. I WISH this were my go to... It would mean you can get it outside of the Monastery in Belgium.
    Best beer ever made.

Last year, in an attempt to raise cash for their roof, they produce tons more and unleashed the Westvleteren 12 on the market (as opposed to only selling from the monastery). I was lucky to get my hands on a 6 pack.
    Very complex beer. Obviously your trying way too hard to convince yourself it's the best you've ever had since it' supposed to be. It packs a wallop at over 10 ABV. I had the impression of tasting a different beer every time.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Since we're all Borgos on this bus, can we rename to

Your Favorite To-Go Beers

soon; too?

"Only greatness equals greatness"

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Last year, in an attempt to raise cash for their roof, they produce tons more and unleashed the Westvleteren 12 on the market (as opposed to only selling from the monastery). I was lucky to get my hands on a 6 pack.
    Very complex beer. Obviously your trying way too hard to convince yourself it's the best you've ever had since it' supposed to be. It packs a wallop at over 10 ABV. I had the impression of tasting a different beer every time.
    GOOD GOD... You have ANY idea how lucky you are to get one of those?!

Total Wine had exclusive rights, around my area anyways, and sold them earlier than they were supposed to.
    Employees basically got them.

The best one I had was aged for 5 years or so.

I would strongly recommend aging one for 3 years from bottle date (if you can)

THAT is when it becomes the world's greatest beer. Otherwise, when it's young it tastes a lot more like St Bernardus Abt 12 and isn't nearly as flavorful.

edit: Just realized you were in France. So you should have a much easier time getting it than us in the states who have to go to the black market

also, I've had the same thing re tasting different every time. It gets better and better as it warms up in the glass! A true work of art!
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 06-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Total Wine had exclusive rights, around my area anyways, and sold them earlier than they were supposed to.

THAT is when it becomes the world's greatest beer. Otherwise, when it's young it tastes a lot more like St Bernardus Abt 12 and isn't nearly as flavorful.

edit: Just realized you were in France. So you should have a much easier time getting it than us in the states who have to go to the black market

also, I've had the same thing re tasting different every time. It gets better and better as it warms up in the glass! A true work of art!
    Yes I know. Part of the experience is actually getting your hands on them which is why I mentioned the fact that it effects your judgement. I first heard about it when I read an article of Belgians lining up in front of supermarkets to buy the nectar.

Still it's an amazing beer. The prices were insane, something around 90€ for the 6 pack.

Hall Of Fame

they were around and a lot came to the US. my store took reservations for them but I passed because of the money. there were stories of it sitting in Connecticut liquor stores for a couple of days.

beer snobs think they made too much of it and it wasn't as good.
    euros think it was mass produced for US market, and they are still making the stinky cheese face.

the reputation is now a bit tarnished.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

beer snobs think they made too much of it and it wasn't as good.
    euros think it was mass produced for US market, and they are still making the stinky cheese face.

Stinking greedy ass monks.