Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No tender for Jordan Shipley

No tender for Jordan Shipley

I know this isnt "big" FA news, especially among the crack group of Jets beat writers, but I know from pervious posts that some of you guys share my feelings on this guy.

27 years old, UFA, had 50+ catches as a rookie, torn ACL but came back for the last few games for jacksonville and did very well. Slot WR who also returns punts.

This is the type of player we need here - he is a football player, not a track star and is arguably 20 times the player that Clyde Gates is.

He is cheap, works hard, has great hands and knows how to get open - plus he would solve our punt return issues.

I would love to see him in a Jets uniform in 2013.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I know this isnt "big" FA news, especially among the crack group of Jets beat writers, but I know from pervious posts that some of you guys share my feelings on this guy.

27 years old, UFA, had 50+ catches as a rookie, torn ACL but came back for the last few games for jacksonville and did very well. Slot WR who also returns punts.

This is the type of player we need here - he is a football player, not a track star and is arguably 20 times the player that Clyde Gates is.

He is cheap, works hard, has great hands and knows how to get open - plus he would solve our punt return issues.

I would love to see him in a Jets uniform in 2013.
    Me too.

I really like Shipley, AND Amendola. I hate to be redundant, juvenile, or biased, but would it really make a difference with you know who throwing them the ball?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm in could definitely contribute ...returner as well

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, we shoulda signed him last year. F-Tanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Yep, we shoulda signed him last year. F-Tanny.
    I agreed, as good a signing as he would be now, it was an absolute no-brainer last year with the WR corps we were running out there coupled with our need for a Punt Returner.

I honestly have no clue how an NFL GM could overlook a guy like him.

We already have a slot receiver, a pretty good one in fact, in Jeremy Kerley.

Then we have a second year slot player in Jordan White who, according to reports from Tony, was believed by his teammates to deserve more playing time.

Lastly, while Holmes is an outside receiver, he has the versatility to play snaps in the slot.

Shipley is a pure slot guy. To me it seems like massive overkill if we sign him. Pass.

All League
    I'd be looking at Danario Alexander too...guy can ball, just not sure if he can stay healthy. 6'5" of toughness with a good deal of speed.

He ain't a 'slot' guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    I'd be looking at Danario Alexander too...guy can ball, just not sure if he can stay healthy. 6'5" of toughness with a good deal of speed.

He ain't a 'slot' guy.
    Restricted free agent. Ngata gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

Then we have a second year slot player in Jordan White who, according to reports from Tony, was believed by his teammates to deserve more playing time.

Lastly, while Holmes is an outside receiver, he has the versatility to play snaps in the slot.

Shipley is a pure slot guy. To me it seems like massive overkill if we sign him. Pass.
    I don't see that in Holmes at all, I see Holmes breaking free on move after setting the corner up, not just the one quick sudden type move that the great slot guys have.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

/thread

This is why I said that teams will be hesitant to sign Revis until Training Camp.
    For every AD, Jamall Charles and Welker, there is a Terrel Thomas, Shipley, Foxworth who don't fully recover the next year.

We already have a slot WR in Kerley and another one in White. The WR we add needs to be an outside presence, unless of course we're going to cut ties with White without ever watching him play, then we can add one and one.

All Pro
    I almost don't care if he can play WR. We need a punt returner. I actually miss Leonard the punt catcher. I'm tired of holding my breath every punt.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I almost don't care if he can play WR. We need a punt returner. I actually miss Leonard the punt catcher. I'm tired of holding my breath every punt.
    Tedd Ginn would be a good fit as a fifth WR and returner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Tedd Ginn would be a good fit as a fifth WR and returner.
    Ted Ginn's claim to Fame was beating Revis for a 53 yd td in the first 09 Jet game they won 31-27 and then 3 weeks later running back two kickoffs for td's in a 30-25 fin win.. Even Jason Taylor had a 48 yd fumble return for a td in that game..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Ted Ginn's claim to Fame was beating Revis for a 53 yd td in the first 09 Jet game they won 31-27 and then 3 weeks later running back two kickoffs for td's in a 30-25 fin win.. Even Jason Taylor had a 48 yd fumble return for a td in that game..
    That might have been his best game but the guy is solid in the return game. he may go back to SF on a vet min deal, but for 1 mill you get a 5th wr that is good in the return game.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    We already have a slot WR in Kerley and another one in White. The WR we add needs to be an outside presence, unless of course we're going to cut ties with White without ever watching him play, then we can add one and one.
    I think kerley is more then just a slot WR. He is great after the catch and can make plays in the open field.

I am more then happy going with young guys like white and wish we had given every single one of clyde gates reps to him last year, but white may or may not make it. Shipley had a 50 catch season as a rookie, that isnt easy to do and with the punt return needs we have, I think he brings a lot more to the table then white.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think kerley is more then just a slot WR. He is great after the catch and can make plays in the open field.

I am more then happy going with young guys like white and wish we had given every single one of clyde gates reps to him last year, but white may or may not make it. Shipley had a 50 catch season as a rookie, that isnt easy to do and with the punt return needs we have, I think he brings a lot more to the table then white.
    The Jets need some WRs who are over 6 foot. Holmes and Kerley are under 6 foot, in the WCO you need a couple guys over 6 foot on the outside.

I don't see that in Holmes at all, I see Holmes breaking free on move after setting the corner up, not just the one quick sudden type move that the great slot guys have.
    Well duh, I didn't say that is his natural position.

He's ideally suited to play on the outside, but he has played snaps in the slot in the past and has been successful. The reason is because he is an excellent route runner.

And Holmes does indeed have excellent short area quickness. I have no idea what you're talking about.

This is why I said that teams will be hesitant to sign Revis until Training Camp.
    For every AD, Jamall Charles and Welker, there is a Terrel Thomas, Shipley, Foxworth who don't fully recover the next year.

Terrell Thomas tore another ACL, that's why he struggled.

Foxworth was over the hill and a middling talent at best.

Shipley just isn't very good.

ACL injuries aren't the death sentence they were 10-15 years ago. The worst injuries a player can incur are either a torn Achilles or a ruptured patella tendon.