Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jets will make resigning Mike Devito a priority

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way this makes sense is if they cut Pouha.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    What games have you been watching? Certainly not Jets games.

DeVito is an excellent run-stopping DE, ideal for the 3-4, with the versatility to play NT or DT in a 4 man line.

He's the kind of player the Jets need to keep. Interesting that he is the priority over Keller, Moore or Greene.
    He's been watching video games and JAG tv series lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The Jets are expected to make free agent DE Mike DeVito a "priority" ahead of Tuesday's commencement of the signing period.

It sounds like the sides will be negotiating this weekend. Beat writer Manish Mehta is skeptical of whether the Jets can afford DeVito, despite what will probably be a middling price tag. DeVito is a one-dimensional run stopper.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1
    As they should. There is no player as consistent along the DL as Mike Devito. Is he a great player? NO. But he is most definitely our most consistently good player along the DL.

He's a lunch pail guy, who just works. He keeps his mouth shut and actually LEADS by example. Guys like Devito whether they are in a starting role or not, should be a no-brainer to resign.

What's worse is if the Jets do not sign him, you can bet your A$$ he'll be a Patriot next season. He's the exact kind of player that BB covets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Good, hopefully means we won't draft a defensive lineman with our 1st round pick for the third year in a row
    I'd bet OLB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Devito does have versatility, to play DE in a 3-4, and to slide to DT and NT in 4-3 and 3-4 sets.

Could mean the Jets let Pouha go.
    I think that might be the more appropriate move. Pouha is already under contract for pretty good money as I recall. If we cut him, what would be the cap implications?

Pouha definitely disappointed this last season. In 2011, he was the best player on the DL as far as I'm concerned. But this last season he was pretty much a non factor. He didn 't play up to the value of his contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love both Pouha and Devito and would love to be able to keep both. That just probably isn't possible given the Jets salary cap problems right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think that might be the more appropriate move. Pouha is already under contract for pretty good money as I recall. If we cut him, what would be the cap implications?

Pouha definitely disappointed this last season. In 2011, he was the best player on the DL as far as I'm concerned. But this last season he was pretty much a non factor. He didn 't play up to the value of his contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love both Pouha and Devito and would love to be able to keep both. That just probably isn't possible given the Jets salary cap problems right now.
    Pouha would save 3.8 million if cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be funny if we pay Devito more than what Jenkins just got from the Giants.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cut Pouha and sign DeVito for less. Addition by subtraction. Pouha f*cked us last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    It will be funny if we pay Devito more than what Jenkins just got from the Giants.
    Considering Jenkins signed for only 3 years, 8 million dollars with only 3 million guaranteed, it is very possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Cut Pouha and sign DeVito for less. Addition by subtraction. Pouha f*cked us last year.
    Damn him for getting injured playing football. The nerve of the guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mehta sayin he is hittin the open market, can't let Devito leave the building now pouha has gone.

This D-line is dwindling away, I'm surprised we cut pouha without an agreement in principle with Devito's agent.