Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Jets will make resigning Mike Devito a priority

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,573

    Post Jets will make resigning Mike Devito a priority

    The Jets are expected to make free agent DE Mike DeVito a "priority" ahead of Tuesday's commencement of the signing period.

    It sounds like the sides will be negotiating this weekend. Beat writer Manish Mehta is skeptical of whether the Jets can afford DeVito, despite what will probably be a middling price tag. DeVito is a one-dimensional run stopper.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-08-2013 at 09:18 PM.

  2. #2
    D-Line is our strength.. keep it that way..

    Need to add some size at the NT though.. Not sure what to expect from Kenrick in the big picture.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,347
    Manish desperately wants this team to rot in he11

  4. #4
    we are over $8mil under the cap, and we havent even restructured anyone yet. Why does it keep getting brought up about players we cant afford. We are in pretty good shape in my opinion.

    Restructure Santonio, David Harris, etc and we will be even more under

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,265
    Good, hopefully means we won't draft a defensive lineman with our 1st round pick for the third year in a row

  6. #6
    I don't see the benefit. He always seemed over rated to me. Our DL is fine without him as long as we still have Pouha.

  7. #7
    @DWAZ73: Among those I'm hearing #Jets have interest in bringing back: DeVito, Bell, Landry, Hilliard. Whether they have $$ is another issue.

    @DWAZ73: Also, hearing there could be mutual interest in Matt Slauson returning to #Jets. Nothing concrete as of yet as far as talks, etc.

    @DWAZ73: Just me speculating: Could see Braylon Edwards back with #Jets, maybe with incentive-laden deal. Showed he still has something left.

    @DWAZ73: Healthy Holmes, healthy Hill and rejuvenated Edwards to go with Kerley would at least be a decent WR corps for #Jets
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-08-2013 at 09:56 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
    we are over $8mil under the cap, and we havent even restructured anyone yet. Why does it keep getting brought up about players we cant afford. We are in pretty good shape in my opinion.

    Restructure Santonio, David Harris, etc and we will be even more under
    Because 6 mill of it will need to be set aside for the rookies and 1.3 for Cumberland and 2.2 for Howard does not leave any money in July

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @DWAZ73: Just me speculating: Could see Braylon Edwards back with #Jets, maybe with incentive-laden deal. Showed he still has something left.

    @DWAZ73: Healthy Holmes, healthy Hill and rejuvenated Edwards to go with Kerley would at least be a decent WR corps for #Jets
    hell yeah.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Because 6 mill of it will need to be set aside for the rookies and 1.3 for Cumberland and 2.2 for Howard does not leave any money in July
    God I hope not on Howard. We can upgrade for that price he isn't very good.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    God I hope not on Howard. We can upgrade for that price he isn't very good.
    Last year was his first starting, I did not think he did bad at all. I know the jets were linked to Schwartz from Minn but i don't know who else for 2 mill. Trublood?
    Svitek will get more. Jamal Brown might be worth a shot, but if his hip acts up there goes the 2 mill.

    There are some guys on the jets that I would love the pats to raid, both Howard and Edwards.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Good, hopefully means we won't draft a defensive lineman with our 1st round pick for the third year in a row
    Happy with the 2 we have ... But + 1








    Ljr

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I don't see the benefit. He always seemed over rated to me. Our DL is fine without him as long as we still have Pouha.
    How about versatility and quality locker room presence? He can play different positions and the Jets can always use more guys like Devito and Brandon Moore. The Santonio Holmes types...not so much.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    How about versatility and quality locker room presence? He can play different positions and the Jets can always use more guys like Devito and Brandon Moore. The Santonio Holmes types...not so much.
    His lack of vertility is why I wouldn't bring him back. He is a one dimensional DE. Pouha is much more diverse. The D has plenty of good leaders that is not our issue. He is not Moore and wouldn't even be a starter. So your talking paying high BU dollar in a position we really don't need help in. He is a good vet BU that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. Our money could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    His lack of vertility is why I wouldn't bring him back. He is a one dimensional DE. Pouha is much more diverse. The D has plenty of good leaders that is not our issue. He is not Moore and wouldn't even be a starter. So your talking paying high BU dollar in a position we really don't need help in. He is a good vet BU that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. Our money could be spent more wisely elsewhere.
    Devito does have versatility, to play DE in a 3-4, and to slide to DT and NT in 4-3 and 3-4 sets.

    Could mean the Jets let Pouha go.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The Jets are expected to make free agent DE Mike DeVito a "priority" ahead of Tuesday's commencement of the signing period.

    It sounds like the sides will be negotiating this weekend. Beat writer Manish Mehta is skeptical of whether the Jets can afford DeVito, despite what will probably be a middling price tag. DeVito is a one-dimensional run stopper.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1
    cross between a 34 DE and a 43 DT. small @310 to play NT in 34. IF HEALTHY POUHA was the NT I wanted to keep on jets.. fukk!!! Jets better draft or sign a BIGFATT FUKKER of a NT!

  17. #17
    Remember in Ryan's system, even though it's a base 3-4, one of the outside DL is called a DE and the other is called a DT. Wilkerson has shown he can play both roles. I think Coples is slated for DE. Devito would be a guy who spells Wilkerson at DT and moved inside with him in subs/nickels. He's been a nice player.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,573
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    cross between a 34 DE and a 43 DT. small @310 to play NT in 34. IF HEALTHY POUHA was the NT I wanted to keep on jets.. fukk!!! Jets better draft or sign a BIGFATT FUKKER of a NT!
    Damon Harrison says hi.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I don't see the benefit. He always seemed over rated to me. Our DL is fine without him as long as we still have Pouha.
    We get back $3.8M if Pouha is cut, or traded. Devito is 305 lbs, big enough to move inside and can stop the run. With Wilkerson and Coples on the outside, and Ellis, and/or Devito in the middle we could let go of Pouha particularly if we move to the 4-3. Pouha is 32 now, most likely his best years are behind him.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 03-09-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,215
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Damon Harrison says hi.
    I would love it if he and Ellis stepped up their game - it would give us a nice rotation inside - especially if Sione is healthy.

    But right now I don't think either of them are at the point that they can be relied on just yet. Hopefully that changes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us