Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets will make resigning Mike Devito a priority

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    We get back $3.8M if Pouha is cut, or traded. Devito is 305 lbs, big enough to move inside and can stop the run. With Wilkerson and Coples on the outside, and Ellis, and/or Devito in the middle we could let go of Pouha particularly if we move to the 4-3. Pouha is 32 now, most likely his best years are behind him.
    Pouha turned 34 last month..

All Pro
    We get back $3.8M if Pouha is cut, or traded. Devito is 305 lbs, big enough to move inside and can stop the run. With Wilkerson and Coples on the outside, and Ellis, and/or Devito in the middle we could let go of Pouha particularly if we move to the 4-3. Pouha is 32 now, most likely his best years are behind him.
    Pouha didn't start playing until he was older, plus he was an older draft pick (I think he did some overseas work before he finished at college). So although he's old he's not been playing too long. His back issue last season was a worry though.

Lord knows we need to keep stockpiling all the 34 DE's/43 DT's we can. Can never have enough of those. Let's draft another one at #9, too.

Devito is exactly the type of player the Jets need right now. He is versatile, fairly young, and not too expensive. He provides us with depth that we so dearly need. While not an all pro, he's the kind of guy who when he plays, you don't have to worry about him being a liability. He helps the team, and the Jets have let numerous guys like him go over the last 3 years, and the results speak for themselves. You need depth to survive a season, especially on a team whose defense plays an inordinate amount of time due to the inept offense that leads the league in 3 and outs and turnovers. If it comes to DeVito vs Slausen, here's a vote for DeVito.

All Pro
    Devito can play every position on the line, but he cannot command a double team like Pouha, and he cannot rush the passer. He's a very good 2 down DE, and a serviceable NT. He's great to have as a utility player, and a role model(his motor is nonstop) but it all depends on what Pettine is going to be willing to pay him. There's also the fact that Rex is going to be tempted to start him if he's here to the detriment of young players with more upside that need experience. The best thing would be to have Pouha back at a reduced rate if he's healthy, but again Pettine is going to want him. We might just go with what we have this year. Harrison does show some potential and he'll never develop that if he doesn't see the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Insurance policy for Ellis. This is a big year for him.

I think the only reason Pouha hasn't been released yet is bc they are waiting to see if they can re-sign Devito.

If the plan is to re-sign DeVito, release Pouha and play DeVito at the nose, we're in for a rude awakening.

I like DeVito, he was a serviceable two down player for us for what? Six? Seven? years? Good for him. Please go somewhere else, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If the plan is to re-sign DeVito, release Pouha and play DeVito at the nose, we're in for a rude awakening.

I like DeVito, he was a serviceable two down player for us for what? Six? Seven? years? Good for him. Please go somewhere else, Mike.
    He's only 28/29, a good veteran versatile across the line. Bring him back.

Pouha had a great run but he's no longer the same player after the injuries and age. Time to move on from him.

Coples/Ellis/Wilkerson
    DeVito/Harrison

Definitely could use another veteran and a young big boy to beef up the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    He's only 28/29, a good veteran versatile across the line. Bring him back.

Pouha had a great run but he's no longer the same player after the injuries and age. Time to move on from him.

Coples/Ellis/Wilkerson
    DeVito/Harrison

Definitely could use another veteran and a young big boy to beef up the depth.
    DeVito's going to command at least $3 million per on the open market. That's far too much money for a back-up or to play him out of position at the nose.

You have Wilkerson. You have Coples. You have your two studs on your DL. This is not a 43 team, but a 34 team. Put a big fatty in the middle, add some YOUTHFUL depth and let's go.

There are far more pressing needs than keeping around DeVito as a situational player.

If he's here to start, you might as well have not picked Coples.

Goodbye, Mike.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Devito is exactly the type of player the Jets need right now. He is versatile, fairly young, and not too expensive.
    If the Jets don't sign Devito, I can see BB and the Pats making a run at him.

Exactly the type of versitility that BB loves.

If the price is right sure you always need depth in the NFL. Landry has to be priority #1 if we're trading Revis or Cro.

DeVito's going to command at least $3 million per on the open market.
    I will believe that when I see that. People on this site were acting like Pouha was getting minimum $25 mil guaranteed last off-season he ended up having to settle for 3 years $15 mil from the Jets. Devito is nowhere as good or valuable as a starting NT like Pouha.

DeVito can play the nose well. Very powerful man.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If the Jets don't sign Devito, I can see BB and the Pats making a run at him.

Exactly the type of versitility that BB loves.
    BB loves all of the Jets leftovers I can also see him making a run at Eric "Stonefeet" Smith - he'd end up being an upgrade over the garbage in NE's secondary they are so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    DeVito can play the nose well. Very powerful man.
    He is not a viable starting NT. He's a decent run-stuffing 3-4 DE and a good lockeroom guy that's it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I would love it if he (Harrison) and Ellis stepped up their game - it would give us a nice rotation inside - especially if Sione is healthy.

But right now I don't think either of them are at the point that they can be relied on just yet. Hopefully that changes.
    Thats what I am expecting.

If we can resign Devito & Pouha that would be ideal.

They are both pretty selfless guys, so, I think the front office can make this happen.

So this means Pouha's the odd man out- hopefully some $$ can be freed off if he's cut.

All Pro
    Hate the move. Coples should be the starter and we will most likely have to pay more for DeVito than backup money... not a bad player but not a difference maker anymore...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    So this means Pouha's the odd man out- hopefully some $$ can be freed off if he's cut.
    If one is to go, you would think it would be Pouha because of his age (34) and his recurring back problems last season.

But remember, Pouha just signed a three year extension last March, I don't see the Jets releasing him - although they could approach him about restructuring if they feel his CAP number is too high but as long as he is healthy, I don't think that will be the case.

Their contracts have always been reasonable, both pretty selfless guys that were drafted by the Jets and very good in the locker room and make no mistake about it, Sione Pouha has been the heart & soul of that D-Line, especially since Shaun Ellis left and that can't be overstated.

All that being said, I think the Jets will try and keep them both - and they should be able to do it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.

DEVITO needs to gain 15-20 more lbs if he wants to replace Pouha as the starter at NT. He was listed at 310 last yr but thats not cutting it. Jets have DE who is bigger (Wilkerson 6'4 320). Ur DE cant be Bigger then ur NT when u play 34 defense..