Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: PFW: New York Jets: 2013 team needs

  1. #1

    PFW: New York Jets: 2013 team needs

    Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m. ET
    N.Y. JETS / 2013 TEAM NEEDS

    OFFENSIVE OUTLOOK
    Marty Mornhinweg takes over a unit that has been abysmal the past two seasons, especially at quarterback. Rex Ryan wants the offense to be an attacking group like the defense, and Mornhinweg will install his West Coast system. QB is a huge question mark, as are RB, OG and TE because of free agency. The Jets have some talent at wide receiver, especially with Santonio Holmes coming back.

    TOP 3 OFFENSIVE NEEDS
    ORT ó The Jets moved on from Wayne Hunter and decided to hand the right-tackle reins to Austin Howard in 2012. Howard allowed 131⁄2 sacks, according to STATS Inc., and the Jets traded for OT Jason Smith to provide help on the right side in certain formations. Itís the biggest hole on the Jetsí O-line and has been since Damien Woody retired.

    QB ó Tim Tebow didnít work, Greg McElroy showed no reason to think heís the future of the Jets and Mark Sanchez is likely facing his last chance with ďGang GreenĒ after being benched at the end of the season. Rex Ryan knows the Jets need a franchise quarterback, since Sanchez isnít it, and need to find one to develop, or even challenge for the starting job in 2013.

    OGó OLG Matt Slauson took a pay cut prior to the 2012 season and had to defer some snaps to Vladimir Ducasse. Slauson is a free agent, and Ducasse didnít show enough to give the franchise hope he can hold down the fort. ORG Brandon Moore is also a free agent, and will turn 33 in June. The Jets could start fresh at guard.

    DEFENSIVE OUTLOOK
    Dennis Thurman takes over for Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator, but make no mistake, this is still Rex Ryanís defense. Itís an aggressive unit predicated on having the leagueís best cornerback tandem, but it may see a facelift because of salary-cap issues. The Jets will use multiple fronts, and certainly could use an improvement in rushing the passer.

    TOP 3 DEFENSIVE NEEDS
    LB ó Veterans Bart Scott (who would have been due $6.9 million in 2013) and Calvin Pace ($5.81 million with a $2.5 million roster bonus) were cap casualties. Bryan Thomas, who will be 34 in June, is a free agent. The Jets could be looking at three starters to replace. They drafted Demario Davis last year, but donít have a ton of depth to put around ILB David Harris. Adding an edge-rushing OLB is definitely an option, something the team has been seeking.

    DT ó Sione Pouha signed a three-year deal last March and, when healthy, is one of the best in the business. But he dealt with back injuries all season long and missed four regular-season games. Pouha also turned 34 in February. His backup, 2011 pick Kenrick Ellis, remains raw and may not be ready to be a starter. Mike DeVito is a free agent.

    S ó The Jets drafted two safeties last year, Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, but both were late-round picks. LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are both free agents. Landry is expected to be a top priority, but he could be too expensive for the Jets to re-sign. Bell just turned 35.

    2012 DRAFT REWIND

    1st round (16): DE Quinton Coples / North Carolina (GP/GS: 16/2)
    Skinny: Tied for team lead with nine TFLs, a force down the stretch.

    2nd round (43):
    WR Stephen Hill /Georgia Tech (GP/GS: 11/8)
    Skinny: Showed a few flashes, but injuries were an issue.

    3rd round (77):
    LB Demario Davis / Arkansas State (GP/GS: 16/3)
    Skinny: Didnít make a huge impact, but saw plenty of snaps.

    6th round (187):
    FS Josh Bush / Wake Forest (GP/GS: 16/0)
    Skinny: Sam some defensive snaps. Mainly a special-teamer.

    6th round (202):
    RB Terrance Ganaway / Baylor (GP/GS: 3/0)
    Skinny: Ended up joining the Ramsí roster.

    6th round (203):
    OG Robert T. Griffin / Baylor (GP/GS: 0/0)
    Skinny: Landed on the Colts.

    7th round (242):
    SS Antonio Allen / South Carolina (GP/GS: 7/1)
    Skinny: Special-teams contributor figures to contribute more in 2013.

    7th round (244):
    WR Jordan White / Western Michigan (GP/GS: 3/0)
    Skinny: Slowed by foot injury in training camp. Had one catch.

    SUMMARY:
    Coples was a steady contributor, but there are still questions about Hill, Davis and the safeties.

    http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...013-team-needs

    Didn't realize Griffin was signed by anyone..

  2. #2
    I have said it here pretty much all offseason so far. I would love to see them draft Mike Glennon. I really don't think he is worthy of the #8 pick though. Not sure he will still be there in the 2nd round either. For this reason I might take him anyway. I have seen a few of you that like him. What are some of other peoples thoughts?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I have said it here pretty much all offseason so far. I would love to see them draft Mike Glennon. I really don't think he is worthy of the #8 pick though. Not sure he will still be there in the 2nd round either. For this reason I might take him anyway. I have seen a few of you that like him. What are some of other peoples thoughts?
    Glennon, Geno Smith, and EJ Manuel would instantly start on the jets in 2013 making them better in the present and the future.

  4. #4
    Two of the top QBs will still be there at 41.
    The draft gurus actually feel no QB is worthy of a 1st round pick although out of necessity one will probably go top 32.

    THe needs list seems very "abbreviated" relative to the Jets actual needs.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m. ET
    N.Y. JETS / 2013 TEAM NEEDS

    OFFENSIVE OUTLOOK
    Marty Mornhinweg takes over a unit that has been abysmal the past two seasons, especially at quarterback. Rex Ryan wants the offense to be an attacking group like the defense, and Mornhinweg will install his West Coast system. QB is a huge question mark, as are RB, OG and TE because of free agency. The Jets have some talent at wide receiver, especially with Santonio Holmes coming back.

    TOP 3 OFFENSIVE NEEDS
    ORT ó The Jets moved on from Wayne Hunter and decided to hand the right-tackle reins to Austin Howard in 2012. Howard allowed 131⁄2 sacks, according to STATS Inc., and the Jets traded for OT Jason Smith to provide help on the right side in certain formations. Itís the biggest hole on the Jetsí O-line and has been since Damien Woody retired.

    QB ó Tim Tebow didnít work, Greg McElroy showed no reason to think heís the future of the Jets and Mark Sanchez is likely facing his last chance with ďGang GreenĒ after being benched at the end of the season. Rex Ryan knows the Jets need a franchise quarterback, since Sanchez isnít it, and need to find one to develop, or even challenge for the starting job in 2013.

    OGó OLG Matt Slauson took a pay cut prior to the 2012 season and had to defer some snaps to Vladimir Ducasse. Slauson is a free agent, and Ducasse didnít show enough to give the franchise hope he can hold down the fort. ORG Brandon Moore is also a free agent, and will turn 33 in June. The Jets could start fresh at guard.

    DEFENSIVE OUTLOOK
    Dennis Thurman takes over for Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator, but make no mistake, this is still Rex Ryanís defense. Itís an aggressive unit predicated on having the leagueís best cornerback tandem, but it may see a facelift because of salary-cap issues. The Jets will use multiple fronts, and certainly could use an improvement in rushing the passer.

    TOP 3 DEFENSIVE NEEDS
    LB ó Veterans Bart Scott (who would have been due $6.9 million in 2013) and Calvin Pace ($5.81 million with a $2.5 million roster bonus) were cap casualties. Bryan Thomas, who will be 34 in June, is a free agent. The Jets could be looking at three starters to replace. They drafted Demario Davis last year, but donít have a ton of depth to put around ILB David Harris. Adding an edge-rushing OLB is definitely an option, something the team has been seeking.

    DT ó Sione Pouha signed a three-year deal last March and, when healthy, is one of the best in the business. But he dealt with back injuries all season long and missed four regular-season games. Pouha also turned 34 in February. His backup, 2011 pick Kenrick Ellis, remains raw and may not be ready to be a starter. Mike DeVito is a free agent.

    S ó The Jets drafted two safeties last year, Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, but both were late-round picks. LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are both free agents. Landry is expected to be a top priority, but he could be too expensive for the Jets to re-sign. Bell just turned 35.

    2012 DRAFT REWIND

    1st round (16): DE Quinton Coples / North Carolina (GP/GS: 16/2)
    Skinny: Tied for team lead with nine TFLs, a force down the stretch.

    2nd round (43):
    WR Stephen Hill /Georgia Tech (GP/GS: 11/8)
    Skinny: Showed a few flashes, but injuries were an issue.

    3rd round (77):
    LB Demario Davis / Arkansas State (GP/GS: 16/3)
    Skinny: Didnít make a huge impact, but saw plenty of snaps.

    6th round (187):
    FS Josh Bush / Wake Forest (GP/GS: 16/0)
    Skinny: Sam some defensive snaps. Mainly a special-teamer.

    6th round (202):
    RB Terrance Ganaway / Baylor (GP/GS: 3/0)
    Skinny: Ended up joining the Ramsí roster.

    6th round (203):
    OG Robert T. Griffin / Baylor (GP/GS: 0/0)
    Skinny: Landed on the Colts.

    7th round (242):
    SS Antonio Allen / South Carolina (GP/GS: 7/1)
    Skinny: Special-teams contributor figures to contribute more in 2013.

    7th round (244):
    WR Jordan White / Western Michigan (GP/GS: 3/0)
    Skinny: Slowed by foot injury in training camp. Had one catch.

    SUMMARY:
    Coples was a steady contributor, but there are still questions about Hill, Davis and the safeties.

    http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...013-team-needs

    Didn't realize Griffin was signed by anyone..
    Good debut by Coples. 5.5 sacks and 9 TFLs.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    BURLINGTON, VERMONT
    Posts
    1,203
    Austin Howard may have given up 13 1/2 sacks but how many were on the QB? I think he is worth bring back on a one year deal. No more Wayne Hunter deals

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243
    always a positive thing to see your draft picks on other team's rosters who finished with better records...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Two of the top QBs will still be there at 41.
    The draft gurus actually feel no QB is worthy of a 1st round pick although out of necessity one will probably go top 32.

    THe needs list seems very "abbreviated" relative to the Jets actual needs.
    I would agree. Still I think we need to draft one this year. So to me I really don't see the difference if we take one with the 1st pick or 2nd. I would hate to be wrong, and have Glennon not be there. Pretty sure, almost positive Smith will be gone. So I guess what it comes down to is........ Will we really pass on a player ( we should have) drafted if we take Glennon first. Or is that game changer not even there to begin with at another position?

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would agree. Still I think we need to draft one this year. So to me I really don't see the difference if we take one with the 1st pick or 2nd. I would hate to be wrong, and have Glennon not be there. Pretty sure, almost positive Smith will be gone. So I guess what it comes down to is........ Will we really pass on a player ( we should have) drafted if we take Glennon first. Or is that game changer not even there to begin with at another position?
    More likely is that if Arizona takes Geno Smith in the first, you would probably see either Jacksonville, Buffalo or the Jets trade back into the end of the first round to get their QB.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,327
    We'll take a QB in the 3rd 4th or 5th depending on who drops, and they will have just as much chance to succeed as any other QB. There are a lot of prospects with ?s in this draft, and none without any. I like Wilson, Bray, Nassib, and Landry Jones. I'd take Wilson in the 3rd, and one of the others if they drop to the 4th, or 5th. There are others even with potential I would take after that. No sure things though.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We'll take a QB in the 3rd 4th or 5th depending on who drops, and they will have just as much chance to succeed as any other QB. There are a lot of prospects with ?s in this draft, and none without any. I like Wilson, Bray, Nassib, and Landry Jones. I'd take Wilson in the 3rd, and one of the others if they drop to the 4th, or 5th. There are others even with potential I would take after that. No sure things though.
    Although I don't think we should bother touching any of these QBs, if we're gonna take a later guy with some upside, we have to be thinking Dysert Miami-ohio.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,235
    We need a Qb to step up, or we are dead in the water.

  13. #13
    You guys really see the Jets taking a QB in this draft? I don't see them drafting one at all. If they can get the pieces in place to protect the QB, whoever that may be (Sanchez, Garrard, Quinn, McElroy, whoever) then they should be able to rack up 3 more wins than last season which I think would satisfy the fans to some degree.


    The Jets need players who can protect the QB and catch the ball more than they need a lower tier QB in this year's draft.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,235
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    You guys really see the Jets taking a QB in this draft? I don't see them drafting one at all. If they can get the pieces in place to protect the QB, whoever that may be (Sanchez, Garrard, Quinn, McElroy, whoever) then they should be able to rack up 3 more wins than last season which I think would satisfy the fans to some degree.


    The Jets need players who can protect the QB and catch the ball more than they need a lower tier QB in this year's draft.
    Agree, ride some Qb out and build around the future Qb.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Agree, ride some Qb out and build around the future Qb.
    This OL can't keep letting up sacks... Let's get Holmes back, get Braylon back healthy, get Hill back, get our TE situation straightened out, see what happens with Greene and settle out our RB position, but most of all lets get this O-line stiffened up. Also let's get our LB and Saftey positions nailed down.


    Quarterback, although we might all think so, isn't the 1st or even the 5th priority of this team right now.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,235
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    This OL can't keep letting up sacks... Let's get Holmes back, get Braylon back healthy, get Hill back, get our TE situation straightened out, see what happens with Greene and settle out our RB position, but most of all lets get this O-line stiffened up. Also let's get our LB and Saftey positions nailed down.


    Quarterback, although we might all think so, isn't the 1st or even the 5th priority of this team right now.
    We need a RB, that can run and catch. Greene is NG.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    We need a RB, that can run and catch. Greene is NG.
    Greene is okay but not a top #1 guy. Also are we really going to hit the field with Lex Hillard again? Hillard is part of the overall blocking and protection problem the Jets have.



    Still we agree, Quarterback isn't anywhere near the #1 thing this team needs to be concentrating on, or even the 3rd, or 4th priority right now.

  18. #18
    I think there's a strong possibility the Jets will go O-line in the 1st round like the Steelers did last year. The Steelers O-line was terrible in 2011, so in the the 2012 draft they selected OG Dave Decastro in the 1st and OT Mike Adams in the 2nd.


    Kind of agree with this mock draft with the Jets pick @ 9.


    http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Greene is okay but not a top #1 guy. Also are we really going to hit the field with Lex Hillard again? Hillard is part of the overall blocking and protection problem the Jets have.



    Still we agree, Quarterback isn't anywhere near the #1 thing this team needs to be concentrating on, or even the 3rd, or 4th priority right now.


    You guys are nuts.

    QB is definitely the #1 issue on this team. Sanchez is the absolute worst starting qb in the nfl. I'd take Gabbert over him in a heartbeat. QB is the most important position in Football.. You guys that want two guards in the first two rounds sound moronic.

    QB and OLB are the #1 and #2 needs for this football team.

    Suckchez makes a good o-line look like crap.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    You guys are nuts.

    QB is definitely the #1 issue on this team. Sanchez is the absolute worst starting qb in the nfl. I'd take Gabbert over him in a heartbeat. QB is the most important position in Football.. You guys that want two guards in the first two rounds sound moronic.

    QB and OLB are the #1 and #2 needs for this football team.

    Suckchez makes a good o-line look like crap.
    The Jets are brining in Garrard and Quinn more than likely. None of the QB's in this draft are going to be better than these two players. Face it, it's a bad year to be searching for a QB replacement and the Jets will have to ride out the season with what they have and who they can bring in in free agency. There is no QB savior in this draft, and even if there was our O-line couldn't protect him.


    Be shocked if he Jets go QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds, they're just not going to do it, they can't do it, they have bigger fish to fry.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us