Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFW: New York Jets: 2013 team needs

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    You guys are nuts.

QB is definitely the #1 issue on this team. Sanchez is the absolute worst starting qb in the nfl. I'd take Gabbert over him in a heartbeat. QB is the most important position in Football.. You guys that want two guards in the first two rounds sound moronic.

QB and OLB are the #1 and #2 needs for this football team.

Suckchez makes a good o-line look like crap.
    Yes, but most likely not this year. O line is vital.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I think there's a strong possibility the Jets will go O-line in the 1st round like the Steelers did last year. The Steelers O-line was terrible in 2011, so in the the 2012 draft they selected OG Dave Decastro in the 1st and OT Mike Adams in the 2nd.

Kind of agree with this mock draft with the Jets pick @ 9.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
    I would take an OLB at #9 like Jarvis Jones.
    Lacy would be good with 2nd round.
    And Nassib for our 3rd round.
    That IMO, would be a decent draft. With contributors at all three picks possibly.
    Last edited by TebowCan'tThrow; 03-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.

This is #6's last shot with Jets and he kno's it. let it playout bc u never YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    You guys really see the Jets taking a QB in this draft? I don't see them drafting one at all. If they can get the pieces in place to protect the QB, whoever that may be (Sanchez, Garrard, Quinn, McElroy, whoever) then they should be able to rack up 3 more wins than last season which I think would satisfy the fans to some degree.

The Jets need players who can protect the QB and catch the ball more than they need a lower tier QB in this year's draft.
    I think if we deal Revis we definitely take a QB this year and maybe next year as well...we've seen with Sanchez' failures that this is the most important position and our biggest need....keep drafting them until you get it right......if we don't deal Revis before the draft but during the season I'd still draft one in the later rounds, maybe Dysert.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Two of the top QBs will still be there at 41.
    The draft gurus actually feel no QB is worthy of a 1st round pick although out of necessity one will probably go top 32.

THe needs list seems very "abbreviated" relative to the Jets actual needs.
    the jets have the 39th pick

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan29 View Post
    I think if we deal Revis we definitely take a QB this year and maybe next year as well...we've seen with Sanchez' failures that this is the most important position and our biggest need....keep drafting them until you get it right......if we don't deal Revis before the draft but during the season I'd still draft one in the later rounds, maybe Dysert.
    I disagree.

"Getting it right" with a quarterback has quite a bit to do with what you've done to build solid protection for him well before you draft or sign him. Look at any all-pro quarterback and you'll find a solid line in front of him, a solid fullback that can pick up the blitz, solid receivers and TE's who are dependable and advance the ball after catch too.

Take a look at just how long Tom Brady has to throw the ball, he stands back there for like 10 seconds sometimes and nobody touches him! Any quarterback will succeed with that kind of protection. The Jets line can't give a quarterback that right now, and that's what the Jets have to concentrate on. Drafting a quarterback is the last thing the Jets need to do here, the very last thing they should even consider.

I know it might not be the most popular choice, but I would prefer trading for Nick Foles than drafting a qb in round 3

Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    You guys are nuts.

QB is definitely the #1 issue on this team. Sanchez is the absolute worst starting qb in the nfl. I'd take Gabbert over him in a heartbeat. QB is the most important position in Football.. You guys that want two guards in the first two rounds sound moronic.

QB and OLB are the #1 and #2 needs for this football team.

Suckchez makes a good o-line look like crap.
    You are right, but I don't think you'll solve the problem in this years draft. Perhaps a Flynn signing would make more sense, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the line established a year before we bring a new QB in. Next year will be a better year for QBs and we'll have more cap room after releasing Sanchez if we want to sign a FA QB.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 03-09-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    I know it might not be the most popular choice, but I would prefer trading for Nick Foles than drafting a qb in round 3
    Yes.

This draft is very low on top-end talent, at least topically.

Nobody blew me away. QB honestly, even Geno Smith, has nobody that would've been a first rounder last year or the year before that.

Just like with Sanchez, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

Tannehill is a very good example of this. While he certainly didn't light the world on fire last year, he showed some signs of being able to carry an offense and he obviously has above average mobility and a cannon right arm.

That's your prototypical first rounder. You can't draft a guy without, at least, the big arm.

This is a different NFL than before. Having a big arm is pretty important.

I don't like the idea of trading for Foles or Flynn with draft picks. I don't like that one bit. I like the idea of trading down to stockpile picks. Trading Revis is a massive opportunity. Teams that are on the cusp year in and year out and have a solid front-line pass rusher would make him shine. He's be great on San Francisco or on the Giants. Problem is that those teams aren't built to pay a CB like that. Pittsburgh is a no brainer (he's from Pittsburgh) but they are cap-strapped. Which is a shame.

So then where?

Unfortunately the two best answers may lie in the AFC East.

1) Buffalo-Buddy Nix is a terrible general manager. As such, Nix may be one of the top people you could fleece 2 picks and Fred Jackson from. It does make sense. They have Williams and a very good safety in Byrd.

2) New England- You are going to hate this, but Revis is a near perfect fit and New England has the pieces to make this deal work out well for the Jets. They could acquire either Ridley or Vereen, plus 2 1st rounders and a 3rd for Revis since this is a team with a window that is shutting imminently. Brady is in his last contract and at some point he will begin to fade.

I hate to say this, too, but it's not like a trade between the Jets and New England is unprecedented. And it makes too much sense. New England would have to be VERY high on Chandler Jones, though. Otherwise they likely aren't going to be able to get the pass rusher needed to make Revis worth a crap anyway.

Which touches upon a major pet peeve I have on everybody blowing Revis and how great he is:

CB is less valuable than a pass rusher and the reason is simple: A great pass rusher will eventually force holding. The crap this team has thrown out at End outside of Wilkerson and Coples has established absolutely nothing. You simply cannot invest in CB until you have a top 3rd in the league rush.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 03-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This draft is very low on top-end talent, at least topically.

Nobody blew me away. QB honestly, even Geno Smith, has nobody that would've been a first rounder last year or the year before that.

Just like with Sanchez, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

Tannehill is a very good example of this. While he certainly didn't light the world on fire last year, he showed some signs of being able to carry an offense and he obviously has above average mobility and a cannon right arm.

That's your prototypical first rounder. You can't draft a guy without, at least, the big arm.

This is a different NFL than before. Having a big arm is pretty important.

I don't like the idea of trading for Foles or Flynn with draft picks. I don't like that one bit. I like the idea of trading down to stockpile picks. Trading Revis is a massive opportunity. Teams that are on the cusp year in and year out and have a solid front-line pass rusher would make him shine. He's be great on San Francisco or on the Giants. Problem is that those teams aren't built to pay a CB like that. Pittsburgh is a no brainer (he's from Pittsburgh) but they are cap-strapped. Which is a shame.

So then where?

Unfortunately the two best answers may lie in the AFC East.

1) Buffalo-Buddy Nix is a terrible general manager. As such, Nix may be one of the top people you could fleece 2 picks and Fred Jackson from. It does make sense. They have Williams and a very good safety in Byrd.

2) New England- You are going to hate this, but Revis is a near perfect fit and New England has the pieces to make this deal work out well for the Jets. They could acquire either Ridley or Vereen, plus 2 1st rounders and a 3rd for Revis since this is a team with a window that is shutting imminently. Brady is in his last contract and at some point he will begin to fade.

I hate to say this, too, but it's not like a trade between the Jets and New England is unprecedented. And it makes too much sense. New England would have to be VERY high on Chandler Jones, though. Otherwise they likely aren't going to be able to get the pass rusher needed to make Revis worth a crap anyway.

Which touches upon a major pet peeve I have on everybody blowing Revis and how great he is:

CB is less valuable than a pass rusher and the reason is simple: A great pass rusher will eventually force holding. The crap this team has thrown out at End outside of Wilkerson and Coples has established absolutely nothing. You simply cannot invest in CB until you have a top 3rd in the league rush.
    The Pats certainly have the picks to throw around. It would suck to have to face Revis twice a year but Revis can't cover two guys, all he does is take your best receiver away from you, fortunately our #2 guy (Braylon) is pretty good too and Kerley looked very good last season. Even with Revis as a Pat the Jets should split with them like they usually do each year.

All Pro
    The Jets are brining in Garrard and Quinn more than likely. None of the QB's in this draft are going to be better than these two players. Face it, it's a bad year to be searching for a QB replacement and the Jets will have to ride out the season with what they have and who they can bring in in free agency. There is no QB savior in this draft, and even if there was our O-line couldn't protect him.

Be shocked if he Jets go QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds, they're just not going to do it, they can't do it, they have bigger fish to fry.
    Do yourself a favor friend, and put this in your sig.

this time of year - ignorance and blockhead behavior rules the roost. Sanchez is cooked, so lets draft one of these horrendously average and inconsistent projects... ya...

Its 2am, the only thing open is McDonald's. We'll get by with what's in the cupboard till we can eat proper in 2014