Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anquan Boldin Rejects Pay Cut From Ravens

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Anquan Boldin Rejects Pay Cut From Ravens

Good for him. Why should he take less money while Flacco gets a huge payday? He made valuable contributions in bringing Baltimore their SB victory. Of course it's a 'cash' issue since they threw it all at Flacco. Boldin had at least as much to do with the SB win as Flacco did, who does not make some of those completions without Boldin's clutch, physical catches. I hope Flacco loves his cash more than making average to lousy throws that still get caught thanks to the clutch receiver play. And I don't think Boldin is below Greg Jennings. I wanted him on the Jets when the Cardinals let him go.

The Baltimore Ravens have succeeded in raising Anquan Boldin's competitive ire.

A month ago, Boldin was prepared to retire if his career ever reached the point where he would have to play for another team. Now that the Ravens have given the veteran an ultimatum to take either a pay cut or his walking papers, Boldin is forcing their hand.

Rosenthal: Top 85 free agents
    This year's free-agent crop lacks star power, but provides immense depth. Gregg Rosenthal ranks available players. More ...
    Boldin has rejected a proposal by the team to reduce his 2013 salary without an extension, USA Today reported, and is preparing to hit the open market as a free agent. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport is told it's a "cash issue" as opposed to a cap issue.

Asked about Boldin's retirement comments, the person explained, "I think he was trying to express loyalty to them. I know that he's hoping to stay with them, but he's willing to go someplace else."

Coming off a dominant postseason run with 22 receptions for 380 yards and four touchdowns as Joe Flacco's go-to receiver in clutch situations, Boldin still has plenty to offer a contender. If the Ravens do cut him loose, the 32-year-old would fall in alongside Wes Welker in the second tier of free-agent wide receivers behind Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    STB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I can't believe the Ravens low-balled Boldin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Wow. I can't believe the Ravens low-balled Boldin.
    He was their playoff MVP!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ONLY way the Ravens win the SB was with both guys stepping up down the stretch, Boldin was huge for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess with Smith as their #1 they don't feel they need Boldin at #1 money. Gotta make tough choices when you have a $20M QB I guess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bold in is a beat for them. They will miss him. Almost seems like the Ravens are willing to just ride out this Super Bowl win for a couple years. Listing Lewis, Boldin and potentially ed Reed and the other ILB would be devastating for them. Broncos are easily the favorites in the AFC next year.

If they would trade for a revis or sign Woodson or Reed, you could pretty much start engraving the trophy now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco's contract will insure that team doesn't win another Super Bowl during his career. He simply isn't that good.

Could be worse than Al Davis' contract to Larry Brown who happened to be lucky enough to be the choice for Neil O'Donnell's pitch and catch game in the Super Bowl while with the Steelers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Bold in is a beat for them. They will miss him. Almost seems like the Ravens are willing to just ride out this Super Bowl win for a couple years. Listing Lewis, Boldin and potentially ed Reed and the other ILB would be devastating for them. Broncos are easily the favorites in the AFC next year.

If they would trade for a revis or sign Woodson or Reed, you could pretty much start engraving the trophy now.
    All of that money went to Flacco. He's the $20M/yr man, he has to carry the team going forward.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boldin was just as much responsible for the Ravens Super Bowl run

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Boldin was just as much responsible for the Ravens Super Bowl run
    More so. caught many contested badly thrown balls.
    Bmore's offense was stagnant after the blackout until plays by Boldin got them flowing again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Good for him. Why should he take less money while Flacco gets a huge payday? He made valuable contributions in bringing Baltimore their SB victory. Of course it's a 'cash' issue since they threw it all at Flacco. Boldin had at least as much to do with the SB win as Flacco did, who does not make some of those completions without Boldin's clutch, physical catches. I hope Flacco loves his cash more than making average to lousy throws that still get caught thanks to the clutch receiver play. And I don't think Boldin is below Greg Jennings. I wanted him on the Jets when the Cardinals let him go.
    These are the kind of tough decisions that teams are going to have to make for the next two years, and it's why Brady's signing was beneficial to the Pats. He gave them wiggle room at a time when they needed it most.

Is there any job in this world better than NFL owner? They have a limit on what they can spend on player salaries while profits can go as high as the sky. What other business has that kind of setup? No wonder the owners love Goody and gave him 30 million.
    Last edited by Pats1960; 03-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    If Boldin hits the market, Sam Bradford should beg his bosses to bring him to STL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    These are the kind of tough decisions that teams are going to have to make for the next two years, and it's why Brady's signing was beneficial to the Pats. He gave them wiggle room at a time when they needed it most.Is there any job in this world better than NFL owner? They have a limit on what they can spend on player salaries while profits can go as high as the sky. What other business has that kind of setup? No wonder the owners love Goody and gave him 30 million.
    It helps when your wife has a net worth of a quarter billion dollars.. Poor Tom is only worth a measly 100 million.. Funny thing is his wife had a dream of being a professional volleyball player..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Good for him. Why should he take less money while Flacco gets a huge payday?
    Cause he's possibly going to get cut otherwise. Small, slow WRs over the age of 30 are not heavily sought after commodities, no matter how well they played in the super bowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Cause he's possibly going to get cut otherwise. Small, slow WRs over the age of 30 are not heavily sought after commodities, no matter how well they played in the super bowl.
    Boldin may not be Calvin Johnson tall, but he is FAR from a "small WR." In fact, he is one of the strongest WRs in the game and hard to take down. Boldin has more of a OLB body than a WR body.

With that said he is old so I agree that no team will give him a big contract, but when you give an "above average" but not great QB Elite QB money this is whats going to happen. Other players on the team are going to demand to be paid in the same way and get offended if they aren't.

Ravens will be in trouble for a long time thanks to the Flacco deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Boldin may not be Calvin Johnson tall, but he is FAR from a "small WR." In fact, he is one of the strongest WRs in the game and hard to take down. Boldin has more of a OLB body than a WR body.

With that said he is old so I agree that no team will give him a big contract, but when you give an "above average" but not great QB Elite QB money this is whats going to happen. Other players on the team are going to demand to be paid in the same way and get offended if they aren't.

Ravens will be in trouble for a long time thanks to the Flacco deal.
    A few short weeks ago people were praising the Raven GM for running a great FO..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    A few short weeks ago people were praising the Raven GM for running a great FO..
    Well they did a good job putting together a team good enough to make a run at the Super Bowl and win (despite not being a great team). So they get credit for that. But breaking the bank for Flacco is a bad move in my book. Maybe I will be proven wrong and Flacco will lead them to another super bowl win, but Flacco is more of a top 10 QB and not a top 5. Meanwhile he was paid like a a top 2 QB. With guys like Lewis/Reed/Boldin, the real heart of the team, are either retiring or leaving, I can't see Flacco stepping up and carrying this team to another Super Bowl anytime soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Well they did a good job putting together a team good enough to make a run at the Super Bowl and win (despite not being a great team). So they get credit for that. But breaking the bank for Flacco is a bad move in my book. Maybe I will be proven wrong and Flacco will lead them to another super bowl win, but Flacco is more of a top 10 QB and not a top 5. Meanwhile he was paid like a a top 2 QB. With guys like Lewis/Reed/Boldin, the real heart of the team, are either retiring or leaving, I can't see Flacco stepping up and carrying this team to another Super Bowl anytime soon.
    Flacco may be the highest paid but living in Maryland 53% of his yearly take goes to Fed and state taxes so Bree's makes more spending money.. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens don't make the playoffs next year..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Hmm, weird. Anquan Boldin is 6'1 220, his first tier' competition:

Greg Jennings 5'11 198

Mike Wallace 6'0 199

Wes Welker 5'9 185

Boldin's size and physicality enabling him to wrestle the ball down and away from defenders bailed out Flacco more than once.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-10-2013 at 01:41 PM.