Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get Warmack and Fluker and our O will be great without adding Skill palyers

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sorry to ruin the fun, but this would be atrocious use of the first 2 picks.
    I agree, but I think one of the picks should be on an OL, preferably a stud OG. Moore is not the same player after double hip surgeries, Slauson is serviceable, and as you know both are FAs that will have the Jets over a barrel just based on how shabbily they were treated by Tannenbaum.

First off, austin howard is getting either a 1st or 2nd round tender because if he didn't, he would get a very solid contract. He is a young, inexpensive RT who is an excellent run blocker already. You dont draft fluker when he is your RT.
    Solid point. You have to save some money somewhere and Howard isn't a bad player.

I am so tired reading on here about our Oline being a huge problem last year. First off, by advanced metrics (PFF i believe) we ranked in the top 10. Second, i hope people realize what a huge part the QB plays in the Oline and we have one of the least cerebral QBs in all of football. Sanchez routinely does not RBs to the correct side to pick up free rushers. He holds the ball too long and has extremely poor pocket presence which leads to unnecessary sacks.
    I love PFF, but at the end of the day it's still statistics and that doesn't tell the whole story. And Sanchez is responsible for protection calls, but so is Mangold. And having one of the most cerebral QBs in a game (McElroy) didn't seem to help him too much. Sanchez used to have fairly decent pocket presence and excellent footwork within the pocket. Having to worry about RT two years ago and, to a lesser degree, the middle last year, didn't help that. Mangold needs to drop 20 pounds and they need to get a stud OG.

We had a RB who was last in the league in yards after contact - is that the Olines fault?
    Nope. Thankfully that will be addressed this year.

Lastly, we had an OC who didnt even realize that against SD, they were playing man coverage and blitzing on EVERY PLAY. To combat that he did NOTHING. Facing a defense that telegraphed every blitz pre-snap, we ran a total of 1 screen pass and 1 misdirection (both went for 15+yards) - thats it. He did nothing to protect mcelroy or sanchez at all.
    Totally agree with this. But that speaks to the bigger point, that despite assertions that the talent level is up to task, they still weren't able to overcome poor coaching/play calling. The problems are systemic.

Drafting a Guard and RT would show a complete lack of understanding of the talent level on the team by Idzik and Rex
    Not drafting a OG would be foolhardy. Hard to argue your point about the RT, though. Solid analysis, as usual.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4829504]

We had a RB who was last in the league in yards after contact - is that the Olines fault?

If the rb is constantly hit in the backfield before he gets a load of steam up- yes. If he goes down in the 4 yds downfield with one hit then no.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Do whatever it takes to get these to Olinemen. Put them on the line with Fergy and Mangold and and we'll be good to go .

Warmack could be there at 9 and Fulker could fall into the 2nd. If we have to move up, we should.

A great oline, and this would be an elite oline, can make everything on O look so much better!!!!
    While I agree with the overall premise, I don't believe the priority should be to spend 1st and 2nd rounders on OL.

Apparently, this draft is loaded with good OL talent. I had already thought if the FO played their cards right, they might be able to have a great OL by the end of the draft. I still believe that.

I just think DEFENSE is what is going to keep us in games this season. So I would like the FO to use their 1st round pick on an OLB or some other defensive player, maybe Safety? Obviously, someone that corresponds to best available player and achieves the ultimate goal of generating pass rush on the defense.

I think the FO could still potentially use 2nd and 3rd rounders to achieve getting a very good OL for this season. Mangold is as good as they come and could easily cover up the inexperience of a young lineman.

And I very much share your enthusiasm also. I so much miss the days of the OL in 2009 when they entered the ZONE. It was like you were watching them in slow motion. They were ALL having out-of-body experiences.

In the Bengals and Chargers games, you see how much more dominant the OL was becoming as the game wore on. It was a truly awesome thing to watch and something that I had never seen in my life watching the Jets play.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this move. Rather go for the QB in next year's draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warmack
    Montee Ball

That's my wishlist. Hasn't changed since Day 1. And yes, people told me I was crazy. Now it's looking like Warmack isn't going to be there at 9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Warmack
    Montee Ball

That's my wishlist. Hasn't changed since Day 1. And yes, people told me I was crazy. Now it's looking like Warmack isn't going to be there at 9.
    That would be a great haul and both players would contribute right away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best Jets teams of the past 20 years have always had good to great O-lines. That's where it begins and ends so you better hope we get Warmack.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting Warmack, but keeping Howard might be the way to go. Then use the Revis pick and our 2nd rounder to address other needs. I love the TE from Stanford. Brick, slauson, mangold, Warmack, Howard and Ertz with Vlad as the extra TE would be a great run-blocking front.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our OL was good last season, wasn't our problem. Our problem is that we have a ****ty QB and little talent at skill positions. We need a real RB, more depth at WR, a new TE if Keller is gone, and a real QB. noway we use our first 2 picks on OL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Best Jets teams of the past 20 years have always had good to great O-lines. That's where it begins and ends so you better hope we get Warmack.
    That's true and it would be very good if they could snaga great OL with the 9th overall. I'm just torn also though. I would love to see the Jets defense finally get a pass rush. If we could get a bonafide pass rushing OLB coupled with an up and coming Wilkerson and Coples? That would give us the pass rush we have so desperately needed for years. I also tend to believe if we are going to win at all this season, we must do it on defense. JMO.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Give me Warmack

My Jets club season tickets are riding on this pick if he is available. I refuse to spend $600+ a game for garbage offense play. As a young teen I remember the Jets passing on Sapp for an alleged marijuana incident which wasn't even true. It's my childhood all over again if he Jets pick another Vernon Gholston when it is our offense that SCREAMS HELP and not our defense.
    P.S.
    Holmes sucks.