Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Cowboys are still 6.8 million OVER the salary cap right now....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Dallas Cowboys are still 6.8 million OVER the salary cap right now....

ESPN.com's Dan Graziano says DT Jay Ratliff still being on the Cowboys' roster "doesn't make too much sense."
    Dallas is back over the salary cap after franchising DE/OLB Anthony Spencer last week, and they need to clear at least $6.8 million by Tuesday at 4PM EST. However, cutting Ratliff won't do them much good. It would only save the Cowboys $1 million against the cap. A restructuring is more likely.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

And yet you don't hear a peep about it.

If the Jets were 6.8 million over the cap we would be getting bashed on every sportscenter, NFL live, NFL network and whatever other sports media outlet you can think of. Sh!t, we are 8 million under and I still constantly hear how cap-strapped we are.

Why all the over-reaction and excessive "End of the world/negative" headlining about the Jets??

Obviously there are teams in much worse situations.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Dallas Sucks

Is that counting the "dead money" that they are carrying from the year they hosted the Super Bowl and Jerry got fined for selling more tickets than he had seats?

All Pro
    That's because Cowboy fans get mad when they bash them. Jet fans get mad when someone compliments them. I see it here everyday. All you have to do is say how bad the Jets are and you get instant credibility around here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Is that counting the "dead money" that they are carrying from the year they hosted the Super Bowl and Jerry got fined for selling more tickets than he had seats?
    They have a cap charge of 10 million this year for the penalties they received during the 2010 uncapped season. I think Washington has around an eight million dollar cap hit this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They have a cap charge of 10 million this year for the penalties they received during the 2010 uncapped season. I think Washington has around an eight million dollar cap hit this year.
    Just confirms what I said, there are some NFL teams in far worse cap situations then the Jets, for some reason, you just don't hear about them.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Just confirms what I said, there are some NFL teams in far worse cap situations then the Jets, for some reason, you just don't hear about them.
    The Saints are in bad shape too, but they won a Super Bowl recently and have a legit franchise QB so the cap stuff gets brushed off by many.

With all the petty stupid things the NFLPA fights, they did not really fight the penalties to Wash and Dallas which TBH were pretty lame and demonstrated clear collusion on the part of the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Saints are in bad shape too, but they won a Super Bowl recently and have a legit franchise QB so the cap stuff gets brushed off by many.
    Yep, everything always seems to get overblown if the Jets name is attached to it.

The Eagles are another team that were in CAP hell....look at all the cuts they have made to get under the CAP and they have NEVER won a superbowl, they have been to the superbowl twice and lost both times and even they don't get the kind of negative scrutiny the Jets always seem to garner. By the way, the Eagles don't have a franchise QB either, anybody that thinks Michael Vick or Nick Foles are franchise QB's are total fools.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    With all the petty stupid things the NFLPA fights, they did not really fight the penalties to Wash and Dallas which TBH were pretty lame and demonstrated clear collusion on the part of the NFL.
    They didnt fight it because the players benefited from it in 2010.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Even if you took the 10 million dollar penalty away the Cowboys would still only be 3.2 million under the cap, still in much worse shape then the Jets right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Even if you took the 10 million dollar penalty away the Cowboys would still only be 3.2 million under the cap, still in much worse shape then the Jets right now.
    Except I think they have more guys under contract than the Jets do. They have less holes to fill with their remaining cap dollars.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Except I think they have more guys under contract than the Jets do. They have less holes to fill with their remaining cap dollars.
    The Jets really don't have many free agents to sign, as far as not having as many holes to fill as the Cowboys, that is definitely debatable and the same could be said about the Eagles. Plus the Cowboys have already used up their franchise tag, the Jets still have theirs at their disposal if they choose to use it.

Its just funny to me how these other teams are overlooked by the media and the Jets are constantly and blatantly raked over the coals. That's the point I was trying to make.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets really don't have many free agents to sign, as far as not having as many holes to fill as the Cowboys, that is definitely debatable and the same could be said about the Eagles. Plus the Cowboys have already used up their franchise tag, the Jets still have theirs at their disposal if they choose to use it.

Its just funny to me how these other teams are overlooked by the media and the Jets are constantly and blatantly raked over the coals. That's the point I was trying to make.
    If the Eagles cut Nnamdi, they will be around 24 million under the cap with 65 players signed. That is not a bad situation at all.

Plus the Jets have no one to use the franchise tag on, and if they did it would eat up a decent amount of their limited cap space.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If the Eagles cut Nnamdi, they will be around 24 million under the cap with 65 players signed. That is not a bad situation at all.

Plus the Jets have no one to use the franchise tag on, and if they did it would eat up a decent amount of their limited cap space.
    The point was its a tool they have at their disposal that they have yet to use. They could use it on Keller, Moore or Landry if they chose to, although they probably won't.

The Jets currently have 58 players under contract, 11 free agents to deal with - either re-sign, or release, that were starters last season.

The good news is none of these free agents are core players with the exception of Keller & Moore. Landry was a one year experiment, so, I don't consider him a core player. The rest of the free agents are easily replacable through the draft and free agency.

Here's the list:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/new-york-jets/
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.

The point was its a tool they have at their disposal that they have yet to use. They could use it on Keller, Moore or Landry if they chose to, although they probably won't.

The Jets currently have 58 players under contract, 11 free agents to deal with - either re-sign, or release, that were starters last season.

The good news is none of these free agents are core players with the exception of Keller & Moore. Landry was a one year experiment, so, I don't consider him a core player. The rest of the free agents are easily replacable through the draft and free agency.

Here's the list:

The opportunity to use the franchise tag expired last week, I don't think teams can do it any more for this FA season.

Hall Of Fame

Here's the list:

The Jets have roughly 8 million dollars right now to replace 11 starters and sign all their draft picks. The cost of signing those draft picks will be approx. 5.2 million. While not a dire situation, it is hardly a good one either.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Jets have roughly 8 million dollars right now to replace 11 starters and sign all their draft picks. The cost of signing those draft picks will be approx. 5.2 million. While not a dire situation, it is hardly a good one either.
    But not even close to being the worst CAP situation in the NFL as we are being protrayed to be. And the front office can still approach players - like David Harris for example, about restructuring.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The opportunity to use the franchise tag expired last week, I don't think teams can do it any more for this FA season.
    You are correct Ray Ray, they had to use it by last Monday March 4th - I didn't realize that, I thought they had until the start of free-agency to use it. However, they still have the ability to approach players about restructuring if they need to.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    But not even close to being the worst situation in the NFL as we are being protrayed to be.
    So what is your point exactly?? How the media portrays the Jets cap situation doesnt actually change it. I dont know why you guys worry so much about what the media says, it has zero effect on the Jets. The fact is, the Jets roster and salary cap is not good right now, but there is hope for 2014 as many of these anchors could be off the books and some real change can occur.