Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: Sunday notes: Revis Watch begins

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Sunday notes: Sunday notes: Revis Watch begins

A look at the Jets and around the NFL:

1. Cornering the market: The Darrelle Revis camp is pushing for a resolution ASAP -- i.e. a trade -- because it's concerned about the cornerback market drying up. There are a handful of good free-agent corners out there, namely Sean Smith (Dolphins) and Aqib Talib (Patriots). Dunta Robinson, released by the Falcons, was gobbled up by the Chiefs. Teams such as the Bucs, Cards, Patriots and Broncos are shopping for a cornerback, and it's highly unlikely they'd be interested in dealing for Revis if they spend $8 million-a-year on someone else.

This could be part of the Jets' strategy, but it's a double-edged strategy. They could wait out Revis until, say, the summer, figuring the cornerback market will be depressed and they'd be able to re-sign him to a team-friendly deal. Of course, if they wait that long, they risk losing the most aggressive suitors, the teams desperate for help at the position -- if they opt for the trade route.

For those of you on Revis Watch, pay attention to the cornerback signings, starting Tuesday. That could tell us where Revis might be headed. The Broncos have expressed interest, according to a source. The Bucs have more than $30 million in cap room and could be a dark horse.

2. Time for the bonus, baby: The first artificial deadline in the Revis situation is next Saturday -- a $1 million roster bonus if he's on the team. Once he earns the bonus, he doesn't have to return it if he gets traded and it counts toward the salary cap. If you're thinking of cutting ties with a player, it makes sense to do it before committing $1 million to him. Because of the magnitude of the Revis situation, the bonus probably won't have an impact on the Jets' thinking, a league source told me.

Other Jets roster bonuses: C Nick Mangold -- $3 million on Tuesday; CB Antonio Cromartie -- $2.3 million on Tuesday.

3. Scheme change?: There have been some rumblings around the league that the Jets, predominantly a 3-4 team under Rex Ryan, may use more 4-3 fronts than in the past. It makes sense, considering the personnel. After cutting Calvin Pace and Bart Scott, they're thin on linebackers, but they could put David Harris in the middle and Demario Davis on the weak side. Actually, Davis probably is better suited to a 4-3. At the scouting combine, Rex Ryan mentioned how DT Quinton Coples will be used more on the edge than inside, perhaps another 4-3 hint. Also, they're trying hard to re-sign DT Mike DeVito, which would give them four starting-caliber linemen. Food for thought.

4. One year ago ... : Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of: 1.) the Jets getting blown off by Peyton Manning, 2.) the Jets signing QB Mark Sanchez to a three-year contract extension, basically a new five-year contract for $58 million. Ah, memories. On the night it was announced, this is what I wrote: "This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets...It means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired." And now Tannenbaum is a guest analyst for the NFL Network. Unfortunately for him, there are no mulligans in the GM business.

5. Nick the kick: The best thing that happened to Nick Novak was getting cut by the Jets during the 2011 preseason. Novak, who lost out to Nick Folk, landed with the Chargers. On Saturday, he reportedly signed a four-year, $6.6 million contract, including a $1.5 million signing bonus. The Jets liked Novak, but they felt more comfortable with Folk. Novak actually was cut by the Chargers last summer, but he was re-signed when incumbent Nate Kaeding got hurt. Kaeding got Wally Pipped, as Novak made 18 of 20 FG attempts.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what the Jets do with Folk, an unrestricted free agent. He's probably looking for Novak money, and then some. Can the Jets afford him? Can they afford to lose a reliable kicker?

6. On the quarterback trail: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg reportedly had dinner last week with Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib after his pro day. He's an interesting prospect. Scouts are divided on him, their opinions ranging from future star to career backup. Nassib doesn't have a big arm, but he's smart with a quick release, attributes that would fit nicely in Mornhinweg's West Coast system. The Jets are very interested in drafting a quarterback. The draft looks like a realistic option because, let's face it, the free-agent market stinks.

7. Buy cheap, get cheap: Anybody remember the Jets' free-agent class from a year ago? Okay, I'll tell: S LaRon Landry, WR Chaz Schilens, QB Drew Stanton (traded), and S Yeremiah Bell. There's a very good chance none of these players will be on the 2013 roster, as they all signed one-year contracts. Ironically, the player whose impact could be felt the longest is Stanton, who was dealt away to the Colts a week after the Jets acquired Tim Tebow -- a $500,000 mistake because Stanton got to keep his signing bonus. They received a sixth-round pick, which they used to select S Josh Bush, who saw limited action. His role could expand this season.

8. Like old times?: The Jets need a pass rusher. Former Jet John Abraham, cut by the Falcons, needs a team. Could they ... possibly ... maybe ... you know, reunite? No chance, according to a source. Abraham wants to sign with a contender. Don't they all?

9. Fear the Fish: With more than $30 million in cap room and five draft picks in the first three rounds, the Dolphins have positioned themselves to make a nice turnaround. They re-signed WR Brian Hartline and backup QB Matt Moore, and my money is on them to land coveted free-agent WR Mike Wallace. But, you know what? It doesn't matter much unless second-year QB Ryan Tannehill takes a big step. It's always about the quarterback in the NFL. If you've got one, you're good to go. If not, you're picking in the top 10 every year.

10. Go Wes, young man: Quite understandably, the status of Patriots WR Wes Welker is a huge story in New England. If they don't sign him by Tuesday, he hits the open market. Folks in Beantown will yell and scream, ripping Bill Belichick for letting him Welker walk. Make no mistake, Belichick is as cold as they come when it comes to making tough personnel decisions. But here's the thing: He's almost always right. If he thinks they can survive without Welker, they will.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...s-watch-begins

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck..It's Sunday related:

Jay Horwitz ‏@Jay_HorwitzPR
    Terry Collins will present to @NFL HOF Coach Bill Parcells today in Jupiter. pic.twitter.com/PRrMXUh3Tb

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bellicheck is almost always right. Ridiculous and ignorant as always Cimini. He even stated above that if you have a great QB you will be great, and if not you'll pick in the top ten. Well Belicheck was right once. Does Cimini even read his own articles?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Bellicheck is almost always right. Ridiculous and ignorant as always Cimini. He even stated above that if you have a great QB you will be great, and if not you'll pick in the top ten. Well Belicheck was right once. Does Cimini even read his own articles?
    He's talking about their FAs they don't resign / players the Pats cut...Those players haven't done much once they left the Pats..The Seymours, Laws, Branch, the Safety a few years back (name I can't recall)...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I am hesitant to trade Revis, the Eagles possibility intrigues me because I like Foles as a possible QB.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...-to-make-offer

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I want to know is where the **** are the re-structures of Harris,cro,tone etc.

With 5 mil tied up for our draft picks, how are we negotiating with agents with such little cap space?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If a trade consisted of, say, a first, a third, and Foles, would you be interested?"

pft...Idzik should sign the trade papers and run!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    "If a trade consisted of, say, a first, a third, and Foles, would you be interested?"

pft...Idzik should sign the trade papers and run!!!!
    LOL, seriously. Who writes this stuff?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    While I am hesitant to trade Revis, the Eagles possibility intrigues me because I like Foles as a possible QB.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...-to-make-offer
    The article:

Eagles should pursue Darrelle Revis

Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
    Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 3:44 AM

Free agency begins this week, but the top player the Eagles should target won't technically be on the open market when the clock strikes 4 p.m. Tuesday.

But he will be available, and he will make more of a difference than any of the hundreds of free agents looking for jobs in two days.

Darrelle Revis is on the trading block, and the Eagles should do whatever is takes to acquire the New York Jets cornerback. They have the draft picks; the salary-cap space; and, most important, a glaring hole in the secondary that makes dealing for the all-pro a no-brainer.

There's already a rumor brewing in certain NFL circles that Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has been crunching the numbers and putting together an offer to bring the 27-year-old Revis to Philadelphia.

Others around the league aren't buying it. Why would Roseman give up a high draft pick, probably another next year, and sink at least $12 million a season into a player who is only six months removed from tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee?

And then there's the been-there, screwed-that-up argument after the Eagles signed Nnamdi Asomugha two years ago, a disaster that could ward off any team from acquiring high-priced cornerbacks.

But Revis is not Asomugha. He's two years younger than Asomugha was when the Eagles signed him in July 2011. He's more versatile. And he's much better.

Before his reputation was tarnished in Philly, Asomugha was one of four or five cornerbacks considered to be the best at what he does.

The ranking of cornerbacks is a silly enterprise, as if there is some definitive way to quantify the playing of defense. But in this instance, the folly was in making a case for Asomugha or Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey or Asante Samuel.

There was Revis, and there was everyone else. Two years later, the crown remains his, but the ACL tear and the rise of the Seahawks' Richard Sherman have worn at least a little shine off the coronet.
    So Revis has extra motivation as he enters his seventh season - not that the fiercely competitive cornerback needs any. Coming back from the ACL tear will be a test, but he is expected to be healthy by the start of training camp.

There is always the chance that Revis does not return to form, but the risk is worth it for an Eagles team that needs significant help on defense.

Asomugha will likely be cut sometime soon. His counterpart at cornerback, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, is slated to become a free agent and will likely sign elsewhere.

Getting Revis will give coach Chip Kelly a legitimate playmaker and defensive coordinator Bill Davis one less piece he has to worry about as he goes about reconstructing the defense.

Revis can play in any scheme. He can play man-press. He can play zone.

He can cover downfield. He can come up and tackle. Davis can assign Revis to an opponent's best receiver and let him do his thing.

If there isn't a receiver worth tailing, Revis can stay at his usual post on the left and clamp down that side of the field. But he isn't married to one side like Samuel. He isn't uncomfortable in the slot like Rodgers-Cromartie.

So what's it going to take for Roseman to pull this off? Lots, but not as much as initial reports indicated. The rebuilding Jets are said to want two draft picks - a first-rounder this year and a high conditional selection next year.

The Eagles have eight draft picks - one in each of the first six rounds and two in the seventh. They're not giving up the fourth overall pick. But their second-round pick - the 35th overall - could be negotiable.

It's a selection that is just as good as a first-rounder since many see the second and third rounds, relatively speaking, as the strengths of the draft.

The Eagles could get that second-rounder back by trading out of the fourth pick, where the talent isn't considered as great as in years past.

Provided a trade could be struck, Revis, of course, would want a new deal, as would the Eagles. He is said to want somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 million to $16 million a year. He won't get his top asking price with the salary cap staying relatively flat. But $12 million - Asomugha's salary - is attainable.

Roseman won't agree to a contract similar to the one he negotiated with Asomugha, who got $24 million of $60 million guaranteed, with $4 million coming in the third year. The Eagles will have to eat that $4 million after Asomugha's release.

But that will still be a savings of $11 million, giving Roseman $44 million and plenty of cap space to add Revis' salary and front-load the contract so that he won't have to agree to any guaranteed money in the third year.

Revis has held out twice, so he'll likely want a new deal in two years' time anyway - provided he maintains his level of play. The Eagles would want the same. And if he doesn't, although it is unlikely, then it was worth the minor gamble.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...lle_Revis.html

Smart suggestion..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    What I want to know is where the **** are the re-structures of Harris,cro,tone etc.

With 5 mil tied up for our draft picks, how are we negotiating with agents with such little cap space?
    Well, the free agents the Jets are talking to are probably not going to cost much money, and they dont need to have the money for the draft picks cleared until they start signing them in May. They are approximately 7.5 million under right now, and could clear some more with a few restructures.

Dont expect much from free agency come Tuesday, the Jets will be very quiet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He's talking about their FAs they don't resign / players the Pats cut...Those players haven't done much once they left the Pats..The Seymours, Laws, Branch, the Safety a few years back (name I can't recall)...
    Seymour has made a couple of Pro Bowls with Oakland as did Asante Samuel with the Eagles.. The rest not so much..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Seymour has made a couple of Pro Bowls with Oakland as did Asante Samuel with the Eagles.. The rest not so much..
    Correct but he also got a #1 back for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    wait so the eagles who swung and missed big time on Namdi are going to now trade their high picks for a guy who plays the same position and is coming off injury and wants a big contract? what planet do u people live on?

no GM that values his job would ever do that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well, the free agents the Jets are talking to are probably not going to cost much money, and they dont need to have the money for the draft picks cleared until they start signing them in May. They are approximately 7.5 million under right now, and could clear some more with a few restructures.

Dont expect much from free agency come Tuesday, the Jets will be very quiet.
    I hear ya, and to be honest my expectations are quite low.

I know our targets are low tier guys, I was just hoping to see some restructures of guys that are still part of the long term plan.

There are some solid low end pick ups to be had this FA, I'm just concerned about our leverage with such little manoeuvrability.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    4. One year ago ... : Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of: 1.) the Jets getting blown off by Peyton Manning, 2.) the Jets signing QB Mark Sanchez to a three-year contract extension, basically a new five-year contract for $58 million. Ah, memories. On the night it was announced, this is what I wrote: "This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets...It means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired." And now Tannenbaum is a guest analyst for the NFL Network. Unfortunately for him, there are no mulligans in the GM business.

The thing is he did get a mulligan. He could have easily gotten away from Sanchez and looked to dump Holmes and repair the bad moves he did but instead he chose to extend Sanchez for no good reason in the world other than one last act of coddling. Tanny got what he deserved by compounding errors.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I hear ya, and to be honest my expectations are quite low.

I know our targets are low tier guys, I was just hoping to see some restructures of guys that are still part of the long term plan.

There are some solid low end pick ups to be had this FA, I'm just concerned about our leverage with such little manoeuvrability.
    They will when needed. No sense pushing more money down the road if you do not HAVE to.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He is said to want somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 million to $16 million a year. He won't get his top asking price with the salary cap staying relatively flat. But $12 million - Asomugha's salary - is attainable
    But the Jets are cornered into giving the player $16 Million?

That's what all the media outlets are saying.....lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They will when needed. No sense pushing more money down the road if you do not HAVE to.
    I agree they should leave the Holmes contract alone, like you say no point back loading that and committing to him longer then we have to.

Still feel like we won't be able to get a couple of solid players like butler,Felix jones etc with the current space we have, that before we try and hang on to players like Landry and Devito.

I am assuming we clear space by restructures, could be cuts I suppose. What are the chances of us cutting players like pouha?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol at the writer stating the Jets are "rebuilding" but no mention of the Dream Team's misfortune the past several seasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And so the end draws near... one of the saddest chapters in Jets history.

My favorite Jet since Chrebet. Sigh..