Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: ESPN: jets likely to re-sign Keller

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    This ... fans who complain about Keller may not have seen the legendary Johnny Mitchell drops ...
    Who cares about Mitchell?

    If I draft a TE in the 1st round, I expect the guy to be a dynamic playmaker. Keller will never be confused as that.

    He's incredibly average and one dimensional.

    Horrific blocker, goes down on first contact way too easily, suspect hands, and does a lot of goofy, unnecessary sh*t on the field (attempting to hurdle guys for no apparent reason, etc).

    He's got good speed and is a pretty decent route runner, but that's it.

    I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if we let him walk.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Keller catches too much flak from Jets fans. He's an above-average TE on a team that hasn't had an above-average TE in almost 30 years.

    Gronk is averaging almost 9 mil/year. If Keller comes in at around 3 mil/year, it's a decent deal. You're not going to get more from the position than you get from Keller at less than that price unless you get lucky on a mid-round draft pick.
    Gronk does not get 9 mill a year for 4 more years when the cap will go up, he has a two stage contract of 4 years each. he averages 7 mill a year.


    2012 540,000 2,040,000 30,000 2,610,000 -
    2013 630,000 2,040,000 30,000 2,700,000
    2014 3,750,000 1,600,000 250,000 5,600,000 -
    2015 4,750,000 1,600,000 250,000 6,600,000 -
    2016 4,915,000 1,600,000 3,250,000 9,765,000 -
    2017 5,055,000 - 3,250,000 8,305,000 -
    2018 8,000,000 - 3,500,000 11,500,000 -
    2019 9,000,000 - 3,500,000 12,500,000 -
    2020
    Last edited by patman; 03-10-2013 at 08:21 PM.

  3. #23
    keller is a waste time to move on-he is not even a top 15 te

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If you had your druthers, you'd cut every player

    Keller is a solid TE...was clutch in the playoffs...Problem when rating a player, you must take into consideration who is throwing him the ball. Mark Sanchez hasn't exactly been a reliable QB during Kellers time here with the Jets
    This is surprising to me, I thought he would want to go to a team with a good qb and a need at TE as a mulligan and try to hit the big time next year. I thoughtfor sure he was going to go to Atlanta with Gonsalez retiring.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That's not true, there are many players on this team that I like. I tend to like the over-achievers. Keller is the opposite of that.

    I understand why people like him. He is our best receiving TE in a long time. But whenever you compare a Jet to former Jets it is not saying much.
    Keller is an underachiever, IMO. The only excuse you can give him is the offense he was put in the last few years isn't going to give him opportunities to reach his potential.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    This is surprising to me, I thought he would want to go to a team with a good qb and a need at TE as a mulligan and try to hit the big time next year. I thoughtfor sure he was going to go to Atlanta with Gonsalez retiring.
    Atlanta would be a perfect fit for Keller. Falcons may not run the ball more than 20 times a game next year, and he'd have the middle of the field to himself with teams contending Jones & White on the outside.

    Keller is a steady 60-70 catch guy on that team...which just so happens to have a real QB.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    keller is a waste time to move on-he is not even a top 15 te
    Name 15 better

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,515
    it just feels like he is often injured because there are stretches of games where i think to myself, was keller even playing?

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,333
    Keller can run block okay for a receiving TE, but his pass blocking is horrific. No passing offense is going to pay him a lot of money to get their QB killed. Teams just blitz his side, and that's why he disappears at times.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Name 15 better

    Keller's not even in the top 20, let alone top 15.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-ends/page/31

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Name 15 better

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Rob Gronkowski
    Aaron Hernandez
    Dennis Pitta
    Zach Miller
    JeMarcus Finley
    Vernon Davis
    Fred Davis
    Jimmy Graham
    Antonio Gates
    Brent Celek
    Heath Miller
    Jermaine Gresham
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Tony Gonzales
    Ed Dickson
    Jason Witten
    Jacob Tamme
    Kyle Rudolph
    Jared Cook
    Mercedez Lewis
    Martellus Bennett

    I'm sure he's not worse than all those guys, but you could probably pick 15 better, until proven otherwise. Keller suffers from one thing that keeps him from being good. The Jets' offense.

  12. #32
    He was considered a top ten TE 2 years ago and has fallen off as the Jets O has fallen off. I think he's got great value for the right price and if Mark is our QB that ups his chances of being resigned. I think if we upgrade our O line and add a great RB he'll do well.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Keller's not even in the top 20, let alone top 15.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-ends/page/31
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

    '10-'11 he basically was #10 for TEs...'12 we all know was a waste due to injuries...

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go
    .

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Who cares about Mitchell?

    If I draft a TE in the 1st round, I expect the guy to be a dynamic playmaker. Keller will never be confused as that.

    He's incredibly average and one dimensional.

    Horrific blocker, goes down on first contact way too easily, suspect hands, and does a lot of goofy, unnecessary sh*t on the field (attempting to hurdle guys for no apparent reason, etc).

    He's got good speed and is a pretty decent route runner, but that's it.

    I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if we let him walk.
    He is a pass catching TE that is useless as an inline blocker in the running game. If a team uses their TE as a slot receiver- he has value. I doubt he signs more than a one year contract with the jets though.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Rob Gronkowski
    Aaron Hernandez
    Dennis Pitta
    Zach Miller
    JeMarcus Finley
    Vernon Davis
    Fred Davis
    Jimmy Graham
    Antonio Gates
    Brent Celek
    Heath Miller
    Jermaine Gresham
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Tony Gonzales
    Ed Dickson
    Jason Witten
    Jacob Tamme
    Kyle Rudolph
    Jared Cook
    Mercedez Lewis
    Martellus Bennett

    I'm sure he's not worse than all those guys, but you could probably pick 15 better, until proven otherwise. Keller suffers from one thing that keeps him from being good. The Jets' offense.
    Solid List

    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    He was considered a top ten TE 2 years ago and has fallen off as the Jets O has fallen off. I think he's got great value for the right price and if Mark is our QB that ups his chances of being resigned. I think if we upgrade our O line and add a great RB he'll do well.
    He was never a top ten TE. I play fantasy football and he was never drafted as a top ten TE and that is completely ignoring the fact that he is not a very good blocker. However, in his defense, he doesn't have Tom bRady/Rodgers/Brees throwing to him. If he had them, he probably would be a top 10 pass catching TE.

  16. #36
    I would love to have Keller stick around, but the problem I see with it is this:

    The Jets need to start being fiscally responsible. They will have all they can do to sign Revis if they want to. So some players, especially ONE-DIMENSIONAL players, are going to have to resign for less.

    If he were a complete TE, I would think differently. But the simple fact is, he a is very good pass catcher, but not a very good blocker at all. He rarely helps this team in the running game. That is all based on his size and I do not believe it is ever going to change.

    The Jets are also starved for offensive talent and have a very thin roster specifically at TE. I say resign him, yes. But if he starts to mouth off saying, "show me the money"? Then I say move on and rest comfortably knowing the Jets did all they could do to keep him around.

  17. #37
    I typed in "Keller recovery" and got a background check service.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Solid List



    He was never a top ten TE. I play fantasy football and he was never drafted as a top ten TE and that is completely ignoring the fact that he is not a very good blocker. However, in his defense, he doesn't have Tom bRady/Rodgers/Brees throwing to him. If he had them, he probably would be a top 10 pass catching TE.
    I agree,

    But we can't sit here and say "he's a top 10 talent, and it would show IF he was on the Pats/Packers/Saints/blah blah blah."

    Just like Parcells says: You are what your record says you are.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Yeah I don't think Keller "drops" a lot of balls, it's just that his catch radius is pretty limited in that he can't really make tough catches on less than perfect throws.
    This is correct... He has zero catch radius and offers very little athleticism to adjust to a not so perfect ball.


    Keller is a decent blocker though and a good teammate. I have no problem with him leaving, but if we can get him back for extremely cheap, I might do that.

  20. #40
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,361
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree,

    But we can't sit here and say "he's a top 10 talent, and it would show IF he was on the Pats/Packers/Saints/blah blah blah."

    Just like Parcells says: You are what your record says you are.
    In 2011, he was a top 10 TE. In 2012, he was injured. Now, his value obviously takes a hit because of 2012 - we can't simply ignore it as teams won't. But, just the same, to say that he never showed it is somewhat disingenuous.

    He has his flaws, but the Jets offense was awful in large part because Keller wasn't playing or healthy when he was.

    For whatever reason, the Jets have been unable to find a decent #2 blocking TE who can occasionally catch the ball. Either they have 3 TEs who are all essentially H-backs (Baker, Cumberland, Keller) or they have guys like Hartstock and Mulligan who can't catch a cold nor stay on sides.

    I've always viewed Matt Spaeth (for some strange reason) as the quintessential #2 TE. A guy who blocks first, but can run downfield 9 yards and catch a pass if need be. Maybe its because he scored a TD against the Jets that he sticks out in my mind, but he is the kind of guy that the Jets can't seem to find. Instead, they always go with the 6th Lineman. And while there's nothing wrong with that on occasion, if you have a TE who can block but also catch, you are a lot better off.

    No one was concerned with Jason Smith catching a pass. So while the Jets may call a pass play with J. SMith in the game, no one was concerned with covering him.

    Matt Spaeth costs a little over a $1m a year - not too much more than the vet minimum, something a team with a decently managed cap should be able to handle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us