Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The reason Revis MUST be traded

The reason Revis MUST be traded

It's amazing how many arguments I see over Revis both here and in the media without ANYONE mentioning the cap implications of Revis' conract. There is NO option to let him play this year and get a compensatory pick next year.

The reason is that after he shows up on time this year, the last 2 years of his contract void. So the signing bonus money accelerates into next years cap. And the cap hit would be $9 million dollars!

Jason at NYJETSCAP has done an awesome chart of the cap implications by date:

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articl...-timeline.html

The Jets can simply not incur $9 million in dead cap space in 2014 to have Revis for one more year.

Nothing so far has remotely hinted at either the Jets being willing to resign Revis now, or for Revis to ask for anything remotely reasonable.

Saddled by yet another horrible contract by Tannenbaum, the Jets have no choice at all in this situation: Revis MUST be traded. The finances simply demand it.

All Pro
    If we trade him this year, we take that cap hit this year...he costs more to trade than to keep this year.

If the cap hit is the main concern, the best thing to do is sign him to an extension with a better structure, put together by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

All Pro
    A $9m cap hit in 2014 is not very good ... but if we trade him this year we get a $12-14m cap hit. So there's pain either way.

Just because there are "no signs" of us signing him / him being willing to be reasonable, doesn't mean things won't change - if we rush to trade him we'll get a much lesser deal. First things first, his health needs to be determined, and that's still a couple of months away, so don't be surprised if little to nothing happens till then.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    If we trade him this year, we take that cap hit this year...he costs more to trade than to keep this year.

If the cap hit is the main concern, the best thing to do is sign him to an extension with a better structure, put together by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
    Obviously we take the cap hit this year. But this is a rebuilding year, and Revis costs us $6 million anyway. Taking a $9 million dollar hit in 2014 when we should be continuing to build our team is simply not something you can do.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    A $9m cap hit in 2014 is not very good ... but if we trade him this year we get a $12-14m cap hit. So there's pain either way.

Just because there are "no signs" of us signing him / him being willing to be reasonable, doesn't mean things won't change - if we rush to trade him we'll get a much lesser deal. First things first, his health needs to be determined, and that's still a couple of months away, so don't be surprised if little to nothing happens till then.
    I'm pretty sure if we cut him this year minus his salary the cap hit was around 4mil. If we can get draft picks to replace him, they will be cheap players, and next year we will have a ton of money. Depending upon how are draft picks turn out we could use that money to renegotiate contracts into the future so we'll always have money to sign our own franchise pass rushers, and QB. We could even fill in our depth with whatever doesn't pan out on the line, LBers, or a ball hawking free safety.

Oh thank god another Revis thread...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm pretty sure if we cut him this year minus his salary the cap hit was around 4mil. If we can get draft picks to replace him, they will be cheap players, and next year we will have a ton of money. Depending upon how are draft picks turn out we could use that money to renegotiate contracts into the future so we'll always have money to sign our own franchise pass rushers, and QB. We could even fill in our depth with whatever doesn't pan out on the line, LBers, or a ball hawking free safety.
    If cut or traded Revis will count 12 million against the cap this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Oh thank god another Revis thread...
    exacatly they all belong in the dump. at this point and time its all heresay and speculation.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yeah. If we trade him it does not help our cap situation this year. If we trade him, it will be to attempt to set ourselves up for the future. Get some draft picks and have cap room for 2014 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Obviously we take the cap hit this year. But this is a rebuilding year, and Revis costs us $6 million anyway. Taking a $9 million dollar hit in 2014 when we should be continuing to build our team is simply not something you can do.
    Is letting him leave after next year with no compensation something you can do ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    exacatly they all belong in the dump. at this point and time its all heresay and speculation.
    Better than hearing you talk about your fake PSLs or trading a second round pick for Harvin.

Better than hearing you talk about your fake PSLs or trading a second round pick for Harvin.
    or watching you troll and hi-jack another thread on the forum.

All Pro
    I love when people just blurt things out like they know what they're talking about. I was actually wrong. Revis will count 9 mil this year if we keep him. If we trade him it will cost 12 mil. Net loss 3 mil. of cap space.

So tell me again how much will it cost us in cap space if we trade him.

It will cost us substantially more the longer we wait to trade him. Up to 18 mil if we wait until training camp. Yes minus the 9 that would be 9mil. in dead cap money.

Hall Of Fame
    I love when people just blurt things out like they know what they're talking about. I was actually wrong. Revis will count 9 mil this year if we keep him. If we trade him it will cost 12 mil. Net loss 3 mil. of cap space.

It will cost us substantially more the longer we wait to trade him. Up to 18 mil if we wait until training camp. Yes minus the 9 that would be 9mil. in dead cap money.
    Trading Revis doesnt cost 3 million, it costs 3 million more than his current cap hit, thus totaling 12 million if done before March 17th.

It all depends on when he is traded. Since Revis has 3 million in bonus that gets paid in 1 million dollar increments leading up to training camp. The following link will clear up any questions regarding cap hits for this year and next. Also shows cash expenditures.

Last edited by sec.101row23; 03-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.

All Pro
    Trading Revis doesnt cost 3 million, it costs 3 million more than his current cap hit, thus totaling 12 million if done before March 17th.

It all depends on when he is traded. Since Revis has 3 million in bonus that gets paid in 1 million dollar increments leading up to training camp. The following link will clear up any questions regarding cap hits for this year and next. Also shows cash expenditures.

I think everyone knows where we are cap wise. The question that everyone wanted to know is how trading Revis would effect our cap. We would have 3mil less cap space. If you just say trading Revis will cost us 12 mil in cap space without mentioning that he already costs us 9 mil then it is very misleading.

Jets have until week 8 next season to trade Cro or Revis. Only a damned fool would give up multiple day 1 picks and $100 million to a CB who no one has seen play after tearing an ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets have until week 8 next season to trade Cro or Revis. Only a damned fool would give up multiple day 1 picks and $100 million to a CB who no one has seen play after tearing an ACL.
    And incur a $9 million cap hit as dead money in 2014. The Jets are not run by Tanny anymore, that would be idiotic beyond belief.

We either pay him his 6 yr 100m with 50m guaranteed demands or we trade him. There is no middle ground. If you're in the camp of keeping him, you're in the camp of paying him that much. Period.

I also love it when every cap matter is regurgitated "another bad contract given out by Tannenbaum."

Revis' contract wasn't bad, it was a large contract, for the team's best player, done after a long holdout, the plan was to be in a position to give Revis his next contract this off-season, but he got hurt, and that has added a dynamic into this entire Revis equation that wasn't planned for nor could it have been.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    And incur a $9 million cap hit as dead money in 2014. The Jets are not run by Tanny anymore, that would be idiotic beyond belief.
    Your tantrum in this entire thread is idiotic.