Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: jets likely to re-sign Keller

ESPN: jets likely to re-sign Keller

Was watching tv without sound this morning and saw a report on espn that Keller was likely to re-sign with the jets. John Clayton Was being interviewed and was apparently discussing the start of free agency this week. Haven't seen it reported anywhere else so not sure if it's accurate. else so not sure if it's accurate. If true, I hope it's for a lot cheaper than Keller was looking for.

great news.

All Pro
    If the Jets do resign Keller, it will be for cheap because the big money he was expecting isn't out there.

Around $2.5M a year average seems about right to me. Much more than that, I would let him go. He is a good receiver, but he's not elite or an all-round TE.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He was saying the Jets were in the mix, along with Chicago and Tennessee

I don't think anyone is giving him a blockbuster deal. He's been an oft injured TE that can't block and a lot of drops.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good receiver but he has a lot of flaws. $2mm to $3mm a year is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I don't think anyone is giving him a blockbuster deal. He's been an oft injured TE that can't block and a lot of drops.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good receiver but he has a lot of flaws. $2mm to $3mm a year is about right.
    Oft injured? Except for '12 he hasn't missed any games.

A lot of drops is debatable.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...te-tight-ends/

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah I don't think Keller "drops" a lot of balls, it's just that his catch radius is pretty limited in that he can't really make tough catches on less than perfect throws.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

He's missed a lot of games in 12 and when healthy never seems to be 100 percent.

A lot of timely drops - that better?

Keller catches too much flak from Jets fans. He's an above-average TE on a team that hasn't had an above-average TE in almost 30 years.

Gronk is averaging almost 9 mil/year. If Keller comes in at around 3 mil/year, it's a decent deal. You're not going to get more from the position than you get from Keller at less than that price unless you get lucky on a mid-round draft pick.

Trade Revis, draft this guy in the 2nd, and we'll all forget about Keller in 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Trade Revis, draft this guy in the 2nd, and we'll all forget about Keller in 3 seconds.

[IMG]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/15/27/74/3505980/3/628x471.jpg[]
    Well you are assuming he will be available and you are forgetting that we are alot more desperate for help at LB/S/G/RB. If you can secure Keller (who is not an above average TE like some have said) is still a prudent move.

Its not a terrible move and not a good move. Its sort of a lateral move, again assuming its for like 2-3 million. If we find out that he got 5 million I'm going to explode.
    Last edited by revischrist; 03-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

Oft inured? That's a bit exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Agreed. I would say he is one of the best TEs we have had in the last 15 years or so. reliable, tough, other than 2012 great hands and few missed games.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Keller catches too much flak from Jets fans. He's an above-average TE on a team that hasn't had an above-average TE in almost 30 years.

Gronk is averaging almost 9 mil/year. If Keller comes in at around 3 mil/year, it's a decent deal. You're not going to get more from the position than you get from Keller at less than that price unless you get lucky on a mid-round draft pick.
    TAKE A BOW!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I will wait until I see the terms before I knock Idzik but IMO it was time to move on from this dud.

But with the amount of holes on the roster I think the Jets don't want to use a draft pick on a TE this year if they can get Keller/Cumberland for cheap.

Hopefully, if we do sign him, the contract makes it easy to get rid of him after 2013. Keller is not the answer for us. We have seen him for 5 years. Sample size is large enough.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I will wait until I see the terms before I knock Idzik but IMO it was time to move on from this dud.

Keller is not the answer for us. We have seen him for 5 years. Sample size is large enough.
    If you had your druthers, you'd cut every player

Keller is a solid TE...was clutch in the playoffs...Problem when rating a player, you must take into consideration who is throwing him the ball. Mark Sanchez hasn't exactly been a reliable QB during Kellers time here with the Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If you had your druthers, you'd cut every player

Keller is a solid TE...was clutch in the playoffs...Problem when rating a player, you must take into consideration who is throwing him the ball. Mark Sanchez hasn't exactly been a reliable QB during Kellers time here with the Jets
    That's not true, there are many players on this team that I like. I tend to like the over-achievers. Keller is the opposite of that.

I understand why people like him. He is our best receiving TE in a long time. But whenever you compare a Jet to former Jets it is not saying much.

Jets Insider VIP
    If it's a deal averaging $2-3 million per, then I'm fine with it.

Anymore than that, and it's a dumb move.

Keller is nothing special in the least. An above average receiver who is basically useless as a blocker.

He's replaceable, especially in a draft class loaded with TE talent.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    If the Jets do resign Keller, it will be for cheap because the big money he was expecting isn't out there.

Around $2.5M a year average seems about right to me. Much more than that, I would let him go. He is a good receiver, but he's not elite or an all-round TE.
    The dude hasn't proven himself to warrant contracts of the elite tight ends. He has a few timely drops and also has the fear factor in him going over the middle. Still he could be effective in the WCO

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    This ... fans who complain about Keller may not have seen the legendary Johnny Mitchell drops ...