Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton

I heard that the Cowboys will be cutting a few players today in the effort to get below the cap prior to the start of free agency. One of the players might be Kyle Orton and I think the Jets should jump on it. He would be the best option right now and would be a good stop gap for the next 2 years.

Also since this is such a weak QB class maybe we can afford to pass on drafting a QB with a high pick and hopefully strike gold with a QB in next years draft. Thoughts?

Some of the other cowboys that might be dropped include DB Scandrick, LB Dan Connor, G Nate Livings, and DT Jay Ratliff.
    Last edited by JoePNYJ1; 03-11-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    I heard that the Cowboys will be cutting a few players today in the effort to get below the cap prior to the start of free agency. One of the players might be Kyle Orton and I think the Jets should jump on it. He would be the best option right now and would be a good stop gap for the next 2 years.

Also since this is such a weak QB class maybe we can afford to pass on drafting a QB with a high pick and hopefully strike gold with a QB in next years draft. Thoughts?
    it's an interesting thought...it really depends on a couple of things

1) what do they plan to do with tebow? do they actually plan to let him go? I'm not so sure right now. Marty's interview speaking to low completion percentage was perceived as about Sanchez. But he also spoke to building around your players strengths. Was he actually referring to Tebow? All things considered I'm somehow not totally opposed to giving him the job so long as it's not a "specialty package" deal and he is just given the job outright. You either go all in with Tim or or don't go with him at all. If him starting is not an option they need to get rid of him.

2) do they plan to draft a QB? if so thats Sanchez, Tebow and drafted QB. We could of course bring in a 4th for competition purposes, but I think assuming 1 and 2 happen it would be between these 3 guys.

I'm not sure the Jets are going to sign a QB in FA...It really depends on what they plan to do in the above IMO.

If they do they want to go with a FA, and Orton becomes available I agree that he would be the best option.
    Last edited by TurkJetFan; 03-11-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    it's an interesting thought...it really depends on a couple of things

1) what do they plan to do with tebow? do they actually plan to let him go? I'm not so sure right now. Marty's interview speaking to low completion percentage was perceived as about Sanchez. But he also spoke to building around your players strengths. Was he actually referring to Tebow?

2) do they plan to draft a QB? if so thats Sanchez, Tebow and drafted QB.

I'm not sure the Jets are going to sign a QB in FA...It really depends on what they plan to do in the above IMO.

If they do they want to go with a FA, and Orton becomes available I agree that he would be the best option.
    I think Tebow will be ultimately let go as he is too much of a distraction. If they can sign Orton I think they can just have a 3 way competition with Sanchez and Mcilroy.

Tebow is a goner and it's not even worth mentioning anymore. They are going to sign a vet option such as Garrard (and I would really like Orton as well) and then draft a guy. Everything is suggesting that direction.

I think Tebow will be ultimately let go as he is too much of a distraction. If they can sign Orton I think they can just have a 3 way competition with Sanchez and Mcilroy.
    they could...but i do think the jets have their sights on a mid round QB in the draft based on what we've seen. Which then leads me to believe they won't sign a FA and go with a rookie to fill the 3rd spot between Sanchez, McElroy and Drafted QB. I don't see the Jets signing a FA in this situation for anything beyond training camp competition, since they do like Greg.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Tebow is a goner and it's not even worth mentioning anymore. They are going to sign a vet option such as Garrard (and I would really like Orton as well) and then draft a guy. Everything is suggesting that direction.
    This.

The Jets are hoping to trade him for a conditional #6 pick and perhaps recoup some of the pre-paid money they were allotted so they can free up more room.

No chance he's on the opening day roster.

I think Orton or Gerrard are probably better options for 2 years than Sanchez. Sign Orton or Gerrard and draft a QB in rd 2. Let him sit for a year and compete next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    What is wrong with folks!!!!!

Tebow is NOT a fit for a WCO!!!!! That isn't a knock on Tebow. He could have been put in as a starter but not in a WCO system....

People hate on Sanchez and Sanchez has actually played in a WCO at USC!!!

I dont understand the comments out here at times. It is FF run amuck...

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I think Orton or Gerrard are probably better options for 2 years than Sanchez. Sign Orton or Gerrard and draft a QB in rd 2. Let him sit for a year and compete next year.
    That would be a good way to go except for Garrard, I really think he is a bum. But I would love to see Bridgewater here next year instead of investing a pick on a QB that chances are will not be legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    What is wrong with folks!!!!!

Tebow is NOT a fit for a WCO!!!!! That isn't a knock on on him. He could have been interjected as a starter but not in a WCO system....

People hate on Sanchez and Sanchez has actually played in a WCO at USC!!!

I dont understand the comments out here at times. It is FF run amuck...
    I agree....But if you listen to anything Marty M. says he's very specific when he says he uses WCO terminology and such but he builds his offenses specifically around the talent on the team so it's not necessarily a pure WCO. So yes, you are correct. But in reality, what we will see will be WCO in foundation but built around the talent on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    I agree....But if you listen to anything Marty M. says he's very specific when he says he uses WCO terminology and such but he builds his offenses specifically around the talent on the team so it's not necessarily a pure WCO. So yes, you are correct. But in reality, what we will see will be WCO in foundation but built around the talent on the roster.
    Its unfortunate but Tebow will be gone because of the ditraction issue not because of what he brings on the field. The guy is a proven winner when given the oportunity. But he must go because Woody and Tanny screwed it up and its their problem from the get go.

I would totally be on board with an Orton signing. He's the perfect stopgap, even more so than Garrard in my opinion. You'll never see Orton put up pro bowl numbers, but he's shown he can win in this league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Enjoy following Timmy in the CFL next season

Also, the OP is incorrect. The Cowboys players he mentioned might restructure their contacts according to this ESPN report. There was no mention of them being cut outright.

Get your facts straight.

Its unfortunate but Tebow will be gone because of the ditraction issue not because of what he brings on the field. The guy is a proven winner when given the oportunity. But he must go because Woody and Tanny screwed it up and its their problem from the get go.
    I don't think its fortunate or unfortunate personally. I'm open to keeping him so long as the Jets are prepared to go all in with him and not get cute. If they let him go I'm perfectly fine with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Also, the OP is incorrect. The Cowboys players he mentioned might restructure their contacts according to this ESPN report. There was no mention of them being cut outright.

Get your facts straight.
    Thats "might" so I do have my facts straight, chief.

All Pro
    Calling Tebow a proven winner on the basis of one season is just like calling Marky Mark a proven winner on the basis of his two successful seasons. Denver had a strong surrounding team that often carried Tebow, just like our running game & strong D carried Sanchez in his first two years.

When the surrounding talent dries up, you realise that it was surrounding an average (at best) QB. And average does not win championships.

Actually, you don't.

Restructuring contracts doesn't necessarily mean they'll be cut. ESPN is suggesting the Cowboys could restructure those player contracts to free up cap space.

Cutting those players isn't mentioned at all.

EDIT: I MIGHT take a dump later too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

•Mackenzy Bernadeau, Kyle Orton, Nate Livings, Orlando Scandrick and Jay Ratliff might restructure their contracts.
    Might restructure, not be released. If you have another source, by all means post it.

I would take Orton. He is better than Sanchez and could run a WCO. Maybe win some games and we would be competitive with him.