Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Jet Free Agency News and Signings

Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I don't know much about the way the cap works, but if I'm reading that Wallace contract correctly, he could be cut after year 3 without much of a cap hit right? It doesn't look like he has any gaurantees after the 3rd year besides the signing bonuses. So if he was cut after year 3 it would only be like a 4 million dollar cap hit, and 2 million after year 4? Can anybody confirm this?

If thats the case, then I would say thats a nice way to be structured for the dolphins, and very un Tanny like. Tanny always got stuck with backloaded guarantees didn't he? So he couldn't cut a player if they were underperforming.

Ireland has always done a good job with contract structures. People said we overpaid for Dansby but we only kept him for 3 years, maybe paid him about 7 million per, then got out of it when he got too expensive without taking a big hit.

But if somebody could confirm what I was saying about the Wallace contract I would appreciate it, because like I said, I'm not great with the cap, but it looks like after year 3 the dolphins could get out of hit without alot of dead money.
    Actually this is pretty much the way Tanny structured the Homes contract a small 10 mill SB but guarantees the 1st and 2nd year. Tanny overpaid for Holmes but that is a different story.

Yeah they could cut him after two years with a 6 mill cap savings but that would have had the effect of paying him 30mill for the two years he was on the team.

Banned
    I don't know much about the way the cap works, but if I'm reading that Wallace contract correctly, he could be cut after year 3 without much of a cap hit right? It doesn't look like he has any gaurantees after the 3rd year besides the signing bonuses. So if he was cut after year 3 it would only be like a 4 million dollar cap hit, and 2 million after year 4? Can anybody confirm this?
    You are correct. If he is cut after 3 years, the only cap hit would be the pro-rated signing bonus of $2.2MM per year, or a grand total of $4.4MM.

That's providing that no salary in '16 and '17 was guaranteed.

I still haven't been able to confirm what the cap hit would be if he were cut after year 3 or 4, but apparently the dolphins were going to have alot of cap space again in 2014, so thats why they put a bunch of the money in that year, then after that it goes back down to 11-13 million. Still alot of money, but necessary considering how much he should help our offense and Tannehill

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You are correct. If he is cut after 3 years, the only cap hit would be the pro-rated signing bonus of $2.2MM per year, or a grand total of $4.4MM.

That's providing that no salary in '16 and '17 was guaranteed.
    Thanks for the info. If that's the case, and it looks like it is, I would say thats a pretty good job by Ireland with the contract.

Banned
    Thanks for the info. If that's the case, and it looks like it is, I would say thats a pretty good job by Ireland with the contract.
    That's a hell of a contract by Ireland.

Pay him for what he's worth for 3 years when the Phins have the money to do so, and if the Phins want to unload him after 3 years, it will be relatively cheap.

Undrafted Free Agent
    ‏@tomecurran#PatriotsTalk Patriots hosting Freeney, Abraham, and Wilson on free-agent visits http://ow.ly/iZ0ld

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Actually this is pretty much the way Tanny structured the Homes contract a small 10 mill SB but guarantees the 1st and 2nd year. Tanny overpaid for Holmes but that is a different story.

Yeah they could cut him after two years with a 6 mill cap savings but that would have had the effect of paying him 30mill for the two years he was on the team.
    Most likely even if he was a dissapointment, they would keep him for 3 years. And even tho it is expensive, we can afford it. It would be one thing if we squeezed it into the cap, and had to cut other players to make it work. But from what I've read, the dolphins were going to have a lot of cap space again in 2014. I honestly don't really care if he's overpaid as long as we have the money to do it and it's not going to hurt us, which it shouldn't. I just like that we can get out of the contract in 3 years if he is a bust. And to me it's worth it to overspend a couple of million to get the best wide reciever in free agency on a team that desperately needs recievers.

Sorry this will be the last post about Wallace. Not trying to derail this thread.

Deadspin ‏@Deadspin
    Broncos safety arrested in Vegas for cheating at craps: http://deadsp.in/ctwDnWp

Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC
    Rather than filling up Twitter with new deals here is a page that links to all the new deals teams have signed http://overthecap.com/2013-signings-and-new-contracts/

Hall Of Fame
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Reality of CB contracts: Sean Smith (KC) could be 1yr-$7.5M, Cary Williams (PHI) could be 1ys-$5.75M; Rodgers-Cromartie (DEN)-1yr-$5M ...

@AdamSchefter: Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @AdamSchefter: Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.
    Restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders is visiting the Patriots on Friday.
    Power move. Even low-level restricted free agents rarely escape their original team, but the Steelers find themselves in a mess of a cap situation. Sanders is tendered at the original-round level, which means the Patriots would only have to surrender a third-round pick if they signed him to an offer sheet the cap-strapped Steelers couldn't match. The Patriots as you may have heard have a ton of 2013 cap room left, so could offer a front-loaded deal Pittsburgh didn't have a legitimate chance of matching. Just 26 years old (on Sunday) with 94 catches in three seasons, Sanders would be worth a third-round gamble.
    Related: Patriots

not good...this guy would be dangerous with brady, of course if he can stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If this happens it is a huge blow to the Steelers. Wallace and Sanders gone in one offseason. Yikes. The Pats already added Donald Jones. They are loading up at WR this year probably betting Brady makes one of these guys into a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders is visiting the Patriots on Friday.
    Power move. Even low-level restricted free agents rarely escape their original team, but the Steelers find themselves in a mess of a cap situation. Sanders is tendered at the original-round level, which means the Patriots would only have to surrender a third-round pick if they signed him to an offer sheet the cap-strapped Steelers couldn't match. The Patriots as you may have heard have a ton of 2013 cap room left, so could offer a front-loaded deal Pittsburgh didn't have a legitimate chance of matching. Just 26 years old (on Sunday) with 94 catches in three seasons, Sanders would be worth a third-round gamble.
    Related: Patriots

not good...this guy would be dangerous with brady, of course if he can stay healthy.
    Pats want another championship, bad. They're going all out this year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    If this happens it is a huge blow to the Steelers. Wallace and Sanders gone in one offseason. Yikes. The Pats already added Donald Jones. They are loading up at WR this year probably betting Brady makes one of these guys into a pro.
    Yea dont forget that they cut harrison and lost ryan mundy. BUTTT the jets are the only team in cap hell and losing all their players. lol gotta love the NY Jet Media.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Seems like it, more focused on FA then the draft now...I guess they don't need 20 picks anymore if you miss out on 18 of them.

Seems like it, more focused on FA then the draft now...I guess they don't need 20 picks anymore if you miss out on 18 of them.
    Ohhh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I don't blame them. Brady isn't getting any younger.

Banned

Pats don't need another 5'11" 185 lbs receiver.