Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A lot to be said about a team that trades HOF type of Player

A lot to be said about a team that trades HOF type of Player

This guy was becomming a legend in NY.. and rightfully so... Would have made an effort to lock him up .... Woody and Mr T ruined this team... Sanchez? Tebow? Holmes? cap money not wisely spent.....

perhaps idzik can pull a rabit out of his hat.. but frankly, don't know of any players with the talent, stature of Revis being traded in his prime.. regardless of ACL....

bad business and foolish pride on owners side...

you win with talent.... Non better than Revis....

can't spend that kind of money on a CB. At least not with all the cap mismanagement issues Tannenbum left in our laps. Plus Revis has been a royal pain in the ass since the moment he was drafted. Rookie Holdout. Holdout 2 years later. Would have held out again had there not been a safeguard built in the the contract from 2 years ago. I really don't blame Woody for having had enough of Revis' shiit.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Ditto

A HOF player on a team with a bunch of scrubs will not help us to rebuild. Revis will demand/holdout again for a huge contract that will hamstring us for years.....great player...but time to go. Doesn't fit this mess of a franchise......start over again.

You make it sound like they don't want one of the all-time great cornerbacks on this team. It comes down to dollars and cents. Nothing more, really.

This guy gets it

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    can't spend that kind of money on a CB. At least not with all the cap mismanagement issues Tannenbum left in our laps. Plus Revis has been a royal pain in the ass since the moment he was drafted. Rookie Holdout. Holdout 2 years later. Would have held out again had there not been a safeguard built in the the contract from 2 years ago. I really don't blame Woody for having had enough of Revis' shiit.
    I clearly understand your perspective and frustration... but some players are worth it..... Poor Cap management and the poor structure of Revis's last deal has gotten the Jets where they are today..... The Best players get paid....

Can't blame Jets entirely.... Revis and his agents have not made it very easy for the Jets.. so relationships have to work both ways.

life long jet fan regardless.. would have like to see no. 24 a jet for life.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    This guy was becomming a legend in NY.. and rightfully so... Would have made an effort to lock him up .... Woody and Mr T ruined this team... Sanchez? Tebow? Holmes? cap money not wisely spent.....

perhaps idzik can pull a rabit out of his hat.. but frankly, don't know of any players with the talent, stature of Revis being traded in his prime.. regardless of ACL....

No you win with a team, starting, but not always, with a Qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster_Green View Post
    A HOF player on a team with a bunch of scrubs will not help us to rebuild. Revis will demand/holdout again for a huge contract that will hamstring us for years.....great player...but time to go. Doesn't fit this mess of a franchise......start over again.
    I think this is argument that ultimately will make the move justified.... Don't believe the Jets have the leverage to obtain best price for a player of Revis worth.. ACL and Contract leverage..

however, not many teams will to cough up $15m a year for CB.....

No matter how good a Cb Revis is, no CB is worth the amount of money Revis wants to be paid.(if there wasn't a salary cap re-signing him would be a no brainier)
    Jets like every franchise will only be as successful as the Qb they have. You find that franchise Qb than your future looks bright. You can't find that Qb and it's going to be hard to win a championship.

Now you also have to consider the case of John abraham. A Top pass rusher is way more important than a top Cb. Yet the Jets used him (usually don't like to give up players at that position l) and solidified their oline (Mangold) that was a big reason for them making it to two AFc championships game.

So you have to see what the Jets get back for D revis in a trade before you start to panic. Who knows maybe they get their franchise Qb with that pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think this is argument that ultimately will make the move justified.... Don't believe the Jets have the leverage to obtain best price for a player of Revis worth.. ACL and Contract leverage..

however, not many teams will to cough up $15m a year for CB.....
    There's a reason HOF DB's like Sanders,Woodson,Mike Haynes,Willie Brown etc were on more then 1 team in their careers and that was before Al Davis screwed the market for DB's..

I clearly understand your perspective and frustration... but some players are worth it..... Poor Cap management and the poor structure of Revis's last deal has gotten the Jets where they are today..... The Best players get paid....

Can't blame Jets entirely.... Revis and his agents have not made it very easy for the Jets.. so relationships have to work both ways.

life long jet fan regardless.. would have like to see no. 24 a jet for life.
    While you can argue a CB isn't worth 15mm it has nothing to do with the past bad cap management - If the Jets felt Revis was worth 15mm a year going forward they would and could pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    There's a reason HOF DB's like Sanders,Woodson,Mike Haynes,Willie Brown etc were on more then 1 team in their careers and that was before Al Davis screwed the market for DB's..
    Don't blame Al Davis for D Revis situation. Al Davis didn't force the Jets to rip up his contract when he had two years left on his contract. That was the Jet doing as they created the monster, and now it hard to put the Genie back in the Bottle. Not to mention Rex Ryan telling the world how great a Cb D Revis was. (Tanny and woody had to love that)

Top players get their money when there contract is up. Team pays that player big time when his contract isn't up, that is all their doing.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Low-Talent teams with numerous holes to fill do not win Super Bowls because of one cornerback.

The right move is to trade a high-value, low-utility asset like a Conrerback, and amass numerous lesser talented, higher utillity assets, like draft picks the team can turn into multiple players/contribtors.

Put more simply, with the State of the team today and in the near future, Revis is a luxury the Jets cannot afford, at a position that has retained depth, and does not make or break a team.

Revis must be traded.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Don't blame Al Davis for D Revis situation. Al Davis didn't force the Jets to rip up his contract when he had two years left on his contract. That was the Jet doing as they created the monster, and now it hard to put the Genie back in the Bottle. Not to mention Rex Ryan telling the world how great a Cb D Revis was. (Tanny and woody had to love that)

Top players get their money when there contract is up Team pays that player big time when his contract isn't up,that is all their doing.
    Revis never waited till his contract was up he held out.. And Rex praised his players when he was with the Ravens as well.. Who held out there plus Revis held out before Rex was HC or even played a down of NFL ball..

All League
    Even with the depressed CB market, the position is still one of most highly paid in the league. There is a reason for that. We will screaming about how our corners can't cover once 24 is gone, just like most fans do of almost every other team.

Veteran
    If we can't sign him to a long term contract, I would like to see Revis on the Browns, Browns fans deserve a break and hey ... they helped us draft Mark Sanchez ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Even with the depressed CB market, the position is still one of most highly paid in the league. There is a reason for that. We will screaming about how our corners can't cover once 24 is gone, just like most fans do of almost every other team.
    Who was screaming when he went down last year?? I agree that fans complain whether it's justified or not..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    Low-Talent teams with numerous holes to fill do not win Super Bowls because of one cornerback.

The right move is to trade a high-value, low-utility asset like a Conrerback, and amass numerous lesser talented, higher utillity assets, like draft picks the team can turn into multiple players/contribtors.

Put more simply, with the State of the team today and in the near future, Revis is a luxury the Jets cannot afford, at a position that has retained depth, and does not make or break a team.

Revis must be traded.
    At the right price yes but not at all costs. If all we get is a 2nd rounder we are better off keeping him. If someone will take Sanchez and his 8 mil or gives us a 1 st and 3rd min OK. If not it isnt worth trading him. Fact is he is worth more to us then anyone else right now. Still say it is a long shot we get worth for him but lets see how it pans out. Odds are he doesnt go anywhere. Why because I dont see TB taking Sanchez or dishing out that #13. The JETS FO will do the right thing here with what ever offers they are or arent getting. I wouldnt give much credit to any of these reports.

All League
    I am very torn about this issue.

While I agree with the OP, there are many factors that come into play regarding this particular player. In spite of that long list, the bottom line is this: if the reports are true and Woody wants Revis gone, any discussion of other factors is a moot point.

To make an analogy: It's like riding the current of a wild river heading to a waterfall. There is a point after which the current is so strong that you no longer have a choice but ride it over the falls. Sad to say, Revis has reached that point with the Jets.

Woody is (and reportedly has been) a meddlesome owner and this is just one more case of him not leaving the the team management to the people he hired to run the team. I can't help wondering how much of the current state of the Jets is Woody's fault. While I am not proclaiming Tanny to be innocent, I think Woody probably played a larger part than we know.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 04-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.