Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Jet Free Agency News and Signings

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: Tennessee reached agreement on a two-year deal with former Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: So Matthew Hasselbeck goes to Indianapolis, Ryan Fitzpatrick to Tennessee and QB shuffle goes on.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    This is a big loss for Miami.
    Their O-line is pretty weak and i dont know who will be their RB.
    Despite all their FA additions, losing Long and Bush is pretty big. I wouldnt crown them AFC east champs quite yet.
    It's definately a loss, but I don't think it's as big of a loss as you think, and I think for the money, it was smart not to resign. As much as people rip on the Mike Wallace signing, it's paying big money to players on the decline and with injury issues that hurts teams. Jake Long hasn't been the same player the last 2 years, and has battled injuries just about every year in the league. Last year he was merely average. He still has to be replaced, but if we switch Martin to the left side, and sign a good right tackle, we should be ok. There are good tackles still available. Reggie is another loss, but I personally think running backs are a dime a dozen, unless you have a truly elite player. It shouldn't be hard replacing 1,000 yards, and we've drafted a running back in each of the past 2 drafts. With Reggie's injury history, and his propensity to dance behind the line of scrimmage, it was smart to go young and cheap at this position. Still going to miss his leadership, and it would've been nice to resign him, but of all our own free agents, he was towards the bottom of the list of guys I wanted resigned. He was pretty great his first year here, but last year was a dissapointment. Still, he should do pretty well with the Lions if he stays healthy and they use him right, and I wish him luck. He brought a degree of professionalism that is hard to replace and I wish him luck.

Also, I would hope nobody is crowning us AFC east champs. My goal next season is to make the playoffs as a wildcard, and that will likely be the goal every year until Tannehill proves himself, or Brady retires. This isn't even close to a dream team 2 scenerio like some media are playing it out to be.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's too bad Hasselbeck didn't get cut sooner. I think he would've been a better addition than Garrard. He would've cost more, so I don't know if the Jets would've signed him regardless. If the Jets can find that veteran QB (Garrard) that can give them solid play and minimize mistakes, they could find themselves in the 2008 Dolphins situation with Pennington.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Victor Butler visited the Steelers on Monday, per a league source.

He visited last week too..Sounds like he may be a Steeler

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ProFootballWkly: RT @RapSheet: Sources: #Raiders have given permission for LB Rolando McClain's agent to facilitate a trade out of Oakland.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Victor Butler visited the Steelers on Monday, per a league source.

He visited last week too..Sounds like he may be a Steeler
    I usually try and keep it positive, but one thing I can say about being a fan of this team is we never seem to get who the fans want.

I like the Barnes signing but he's 28, Butler is 25 and could of solidified that OLB spot for years to come at a good price, just seems a no-brainer to me.

Sick yo death of not gettin who we want, and settling for second best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I usually try and keep it positive, but one thing I can say about being a fan of this team is we never seem to get who the fans want.

I like the Barnes signing but he's 28, Butler is 25 and could of solidified that OLB spot for years to come at a good price, just seems a no-brainer to me.

Sick to death of not gettin who I want, and settling for second best.
    Fixed..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Butler is going to cost a lot more than Barnes for exactly the reasons you stated. I wouldnt be surprised if Butler gets around 3.5-4 million per year. Barnes costs around 1-1.5 per year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Fixed..
    Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what you're sick to death about? Really?? Butler could not have "solidified" the OLB position, nor will Barnes.

A Cowboy friend of mine who watches every game told me in regards to Butler that he can supply a nice pass rush but gets trampled in the run game, and his pass rush is not good enough to over come that. He supposedly is decent in coverage, but the Jets have bigger concerns than Butler/Barnes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ProFootballWkly: RT @RapSheet: Sources: #Raiders have given permission for LB Rolando McClain's agent to facilitate a trade out of Oakland.
    Does Oakland need secondary help?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, as somebody above mentioned, because of Butler's younger age and more of an upside, he's going to cost more. We're shopping at the bargain bin right now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Butler is going to cost a lot more than Barnes for exactly the reasons you stated. I wouldnt be surprised if Butler gets around 3.5-4 million per year. Barnes costs around 1-1.5 per year.
    He may well command that, I'm not gonna speculate on what he may get as some deals given out this FA have been shockers.

However even at that price it's a commitment I would like to see the jets make, his age and upside command the same type of investment they gave Goodson.

I thought the steelers are in a similar cap situation as ourselves, could be wrong but I would hate for them to beat us to this kid.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    That's what you're sick to death about? Really?? Butler could not have "solidified" the OLB position, nor will Barnes.

A Cowboy friend of mine who watches every game told me in regards to Butler that he can supply a nice pass rush but gets trampled in the run game, and his pass rush is not good enough to over come that. He supposedly is decent in coverage, but the Jets have bigger concerns than Butler/Barnes.
    I'm not disputing we have far bigger needs/concerns, I'm just saying that goin into FA he would of been a nice pick up with a good amount of shelf life for a fair price which has yet to be determined.

As for listening to fans opinions on departing players, I would rather judge them on what I see for myself. You may be right he might not solidify the OLB position, just thought he was worth the investment based on his projected talent,ceiling etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He may well command that, I'm not gonna speculate on what he may get as some deals given out this FA have been shockers.

However even at that price it's a commitment I would like to see the jets make, his age and upside command the same type of investment they gave Goodson.

I thought the steelers are in a similar cap situation as ourselves, could be wrong but I would hate for them to beat us to this kid.
    We'll have to wait till he signs to see the money, but if he was looking for around 2 million a year, he would have been signed by now. Plus the Jets have a lot of needs and signing two OLBs through free agency may not fit their budget. The Jets also have the #9 pick in the draft where there are numerous OLB prospects that would be available.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not disputing we have far bigger needs/concerns, I'm just saying that goin into FA he would of been a nice pick up with a good amount of shelf life for a fair price which has yet to be determined.

As for listening to fans opinions on departing players, I would rather judge them on what I see for myself. You may be right he might not solidify the OLB position, just thought he was worth the investment based on his projected talent,ceiling etc.
    his projected talent and ceiling is based on such a small sample size and those doing the projecting are the same people who thought ryan fitzpatrick would be a stud based on half a season. coming out of college he was ranked in the 20's for OLBs...that's based on a much larger body of work.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    We'll have to wait till he signs to see the money, but if he was looking for around 2 million a year, he would have been signed by now. Plus the Jets have a lot of needs and signing two OLBs through free agency may not fit their budget. The Jets also have the #9 pick in the draft where there are numerous OLB prospects that would be available.
    It very well may be for the best, like you say plenty of OLB talent for us to pick at 9.

Lets pick this up when he signs, give us both a bit more foundation to our points I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    2008 7th round pick of Jets

@RavensInsider: Nate Garner's Dolphins deal: three years, $4.875 million, $500,000 bonus, $700,000 total guarantee, annual $25,000 workout bonus

@RavensInsider: Nate Garner has base salaries of $1.075 million, $1.6 million, $1.625 million, cap figures of $1.266 million, $1.791 million and $1.816 M
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-20-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ProFootballWkly: RT @Patriots: Patriots re-sign CB Marquice Cole and LB Niko Koutouvides: http://t.co/6NwU99p93n