Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BET Founder: ‘This Country Would Never Tolerate White Unemployment at 14 or 15 %

Jets Insider VIP

BET Founder: ‘This Country Would Never Tolerate White Unemployment at 14 or 15 %

2 things I found interesting in this article:
    1. The numbers at the end of the article are staggering if true.
    The net worth of median white households is $118,000 and stands in stark contrast with the net worth of median black households at only $11,800, Johnson said, citing the Pew Research Center. Net worth is defined as assets minus liabilities.
    2. No where in the article did it take the risk of discussing personal responsibility or consider it is government policy and the welfare state that is the problem. I would have thought that would at least be one of the poll options. Nope, it is everyone else's fault.
    Everyone else is responsible for their education, finding jobs, buying houses, etc. Sure just keep waiting for someone else to fix your problems. That will work. I am sure that when Bob Johnson started BET he didn't have to work hard or do anything on his own to make it happen.

Also before you blast me as a racist I am not saying blacks can't make it on their own, I am taking issue with the article implying that they can't.

BET Founder: ‘This Country Would Never Tolerate White Unemployment at 14 or 15 Percent’

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bet-...-or-15-percent

(CNSNews.com) - Black Entertainment Television (BET) founder Bob Johnson said Tuesday that the nation would “never tolerate white unemployment at 14 or 15 percent” and yet unemployment for the black community has been double that of white Americans for over 50 years.

“This country would never tolerate white unemployment at 14 and 15 percent. No one would ever stay in office at 14 or 15 percent unemployment in this nation, but we’ve had that double unemployment for over 50 years,” Johnson said while speaking at the National Press Club about the gap between whites and blacks in America.

“The national average is 7.7 percent, and African-American unemployment is 13.8 percent. To be honest, it’s probably greater than that when you count the number of African-Americans who have simply given up on finding employment,” said Johnson, who is also founder and chairman of The RLJ Companies.

In 1972, the unemployment rate for African-Americans was 11.2 percent in January of that year and as low as 9.4 percent in December of that same year. It dipped as low as seven percent in April 2000. The unemployment rate for blacks in February 2013 was 13.8 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Johnson said the challenge was to figure out why the unemployment rate for blacks has been so high, “and if that doesn’t change, somebody’s going to have to pay— 34 million African-Americans are not going to leave this country, millions of African-Americans who don’t have jobs.”

“Somebody’s going to have to pay for them. Somebody’s going to have to take care of them, and if somebody’s going to have to take care of them, that money’s got to come from somebody. And whoever’s paying for it is going to be upset about it, and they’re going to start looking for somebody to blame,” Johnson said.

According to the poll Johnson commissioned, which was conducted by Zogby, 50 percent of African-Americans blame the “failure of the education system for minorities/African-Americans” for high unemployment among blacks, while 48 percent say the “lack of corporate commitment to hiring minorities/African-Americans” is to blame for unemployment in the black community.

Twenty-five percent of respondents blame the lack of government policies for the high rate of black unemployment. Eighteen percent don’t blame anyone or anything, and twelve percent aren’t sure.

“We can’t be competitive if we don’t put all our people on the field to work, and African-Americans can’t be consumers if they don’t have jobs. They can’t buy houses, and the reason the wealth gap is so high, we don’t [have] home ownership. We don’t have savings. We don’t have investments, and part of that is because we don’t have capital,” Johnson said.

“So a white household can buy a home. Now it’s even more difficult to buy a home. There’s talk about taking the home deduction away as part of a chance to balance the budget, so all of these things, as I said, however the solution comes out, it’s going to impact us,” he said.

The net worth of median white households is $118,000 and stands in stark contrast with the net worth of median black households at only $11,800, Johnson said, citing the Pew Research Center. Net worth is defined as assets minus liabilities.

In 2009, the median net worth of white households was $113,149, while the median net worth of black households was $5,677, according to a July 26, 2011 report released by the Pew Research Center entitled, “Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics Twenty-to-One.”

“The median wealth of white households is 20 times that of black households and 18 times that of Hispanic households, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of newly available government data from 2009,” a summary of the report said.

“These lopsided wealth ratios are the largest since the government began publishing such data a quarter century ago and roughly twice the size of the ratios that had prevailed between these three groups for the two decades prior to the Great Recession that ended in 2009,” the report said.

“The wealth gap between black Americans and white Americans over the past 20 years has increased from $20,000 to $90,000, according to the Pew Research Center. And again, according to the Pew Research Center, nearly half of African-Americans born to middle-class families in the 60s will never attain the wealth of their parents,” Johnson said.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    2 things I found interesting in this article:
    1. The numbers at the end of the article are staggering if true.

2. No where in the article did it take the risk of discussing personal responsibility or consider it is government policy and the welfare state that is the problem. I would have thought that would at least be one of the poll options. Nope, it is everyone else's fault.
    Everyone else is responsible for their education, finding jobs, buying houses, etc. Sure just keep waiting for someone else to fix your problems. That will work. I am sure that when Bob Johnson started BET he didn't have to work hard or do anything on his own to make it happen.

Also before you blast me as a racist I am not saying blacks can't make it on their own, I am taking issue with the article implying that they can't.

BET Founder: ‘This Country Would Never Tolerate White Unemployment at 14 or 15 Percent’

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bet-...-or-15-percent

And again, according to the Pew Research Center, nearly half of African-Americans born to middle-class families in the 60s will never attain the wealth of their parents,” Johnson said.

I would love to hear the rationale behind this. It was easier for a minority to attain wealth in the 60s than it is now?

White unemployment actually was in the 20% range in the 1930s.

It's not that blacks can't make it on their own. It's WHITE (and black too) liberal Democrats who TELL them they can't make it on their own. "You can't do it without YOUR government helping you. Continue to vote D for more free stuff".

Prior to LBJ's Great Society, free stuff was minimized.

I've said before and I'll say it again; Barack Obama is a Wall Street stooge.

Both the DJIA and the S&P 500 set record highs two days ago. The rich are getting richer and the poor, especially women and minorities, are getting poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    I've said before and I'll say it again; Barack Obama is a Wall Street stooge.

Both the DJIA and the S&P 500 set record highs two days ago. The rich are getting richer and the poor, especially women and minorities, are getting poorer.

What exactly is Obama doing? Nothing that I can see to help business. Rather the opposite. I admit I have made a fortune in investments the past couple of years. That's because I don't waste money. I don't gamble.
    These days I only buy stocks. The companies I invest in are well managed. ALL have a increasing presence in foreign (emerging) markets.

If you're poor it's your own fault. And my wife (a women) is a millionaire in her own right.

Hall Of Fame
    Net worth includes real property. Those numbers simply mean many black people do not own houses. The gov't tried doing something about this, claiming that it is everyone's right to own a home and we know how that ended up.

We need to stop acting like welfare isn't a drug and crutch for people of able mind and body.

And the funniest thing is that during the election season the only news organization that brought this up on a regular basis was the one that supposedly hates minorities, FOX News. What has Obama done for his constituents that have BLINDLY supported him??
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-30-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Cutting back on welfare is racist you know that! But then again according to some we are a racist country!

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    What exactly is Obama doing? Nothing that I can see to help business. Rather the opposite. I admit I have made a fortune in investments the past couple of years. That's because I don't waste money. I don't gamble.
    These days I only buy stocks. The companies I invest in are well managed. ALL have a increasing presence in foreign (emerging) markets.

If you're poor it's your own fault. And my wife (a women) is a millionaire in her own right.
    Your taxes need to be raised to 75%. You didn't make that money!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    White unemployment actually was in the 20% range in the 1930s.

It's not that blacks can't make it on their own. It's WHITE (and black too) liberal Democrats who TELL them they can't make it on their own. "You can't do it without YOUR government helping you. Continue to vote D for more free stuff".

Prior to LBJ's Great Society, free stuff was minimized.

That is the point.

During the 1930's the gorvernment spent huge amounts of money to employ people. This time we did not.

This time we spent billions keeping them unemployed. This is a whole new generation. They had to work or starve today we have entitlements so why work. It is like whiskey and the original natives take their pride and control them.
    This is that generation all over again you give people money long enough not to work and they lose their self respect to!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    That is the point.

During the 1930's the gorvernment spent huge amounts of money to employ people. This time we did not.
    The trillions spent on "stimulus" weren't enough for you?

That is the point.

incredibly clueless as usual

Hall Of Fame
    Now it is the responsibilityof gov't to get/give people jobs. I am willing to bet that the majority of people in question didn't have jobs prior to the "stimulus".

Cradle to grave....

And you can't compare the 1930s to now. Completely different world, completely different economy.

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Your taxes need to be raised to 75%. You didn't make that money!

It may be coming. Look at Cyprus. Look at France.
    I made my money, however, when I worked as I am sure you do. Now that I don't work I am still making my money. By using my money.
    Lots of guys on JI are doing just fine.

That is the point.

They spent a pittance. The CCC and WPA were essentially SLAVE labor. Food, a roof and pennies. And people moved to remote locations away from their families.
    The end to high unemployment was WWII. The programs in place by the government actually toughened up many who then went to war.

The recent bailouts and other "welfare" programs did not encourage people to work.. Rather to continue to lazy it up.

Hall Of Fame
    They spent a pittance. The CCC and WPA were essentially SLAVE labor. Food, a roof and pennies. And people moved to remote locations away from their families.
    The end to high unemployment was WWII. The programs in place by the government actually toughened up many who then went to war.

The recent bailouts and other "welfare" programs did not encourage people to work.. Rather to continue to lazy it up.
    Exactly.

Besides, those types of jobs are beneath the Occupy Wall Street clowns.

Bewildered Beast

Laziness, or inertia?

Both are factors.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Laziness, or inertia?

Both are factors.
    Don't interrupt him, he's on a role.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Don't interrupt him, he's on a role.
    It's a perverse role, to be sure.

If he was on a Kaiser Roll, we'd move him to the Philly sub thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    It's a perverse role, to be sure.

If he was on a Kaiser Roll, we'd move him to the Philly sub thread.
    Good point.