Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 218 of 218

Thread: New Story: Jets Sign David Garrard

  1. #201
    I would feel better if he had played sometime in the last 2 years
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    how is it a bad signing.. would you rather going into traning camp with sanchez, tebow and some rookie or a proven qb who was going to be the dolphins starter in 2012 before getting hurt....and yeah yeah...he had injuries...well he now has a clean slate.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

    And just like that. A modicum of credibility has been restored to this organization.
    Great use of a 4th round pick.

  3. #203
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In Da Club with a Bottle Full of Bubb
    Posts
    8,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I don't know what's sadder....


    Joe W. Namath's post or sdJETSetter's endorsement of it.


    I mean...REALLY, guys?

    This "Same Old Jets Fan" act has gotten old yesterday.

    Find a new hobby.
    LOL, really?.....I dont see what is so crazy or sad about the analysis?

    I was thinking the exact same thoughts when the Brady Quinn rumors surfaced.

    My hypothesis is this:
    With the crippling contracts of Sanchez and Santonio, there is no "big" or "impact" moves that can be made.

    Absolutely the team can and i hope WILL draft well, but 2013 is a lame duck season because of Mark and Santonio. Those 2 contracts, at those 2 positions absolutely have the team crippled until 2014.

    At the same time, the FO is not stupid. They realize a big chunk of the fan base is extremely frustrated with Mark Sanchez. This is where the Brady Quinn's/David Garrard's of the league come in. Of course the Jets were going to go that cheap route, they have no alternative this year.

    FWIW, i think Garrard is a better option when healthy than Sanchez, so trust me, im breaking out the pom poms this season like the rest of you.

    I dont see what is so crazy about it all, but again its just my hypothesis. Thats what the board if for, right?

    I havent even read all the pages in the thread. WHat is the New Generation Jets fans approach on the signing?

  4. #204

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Simms was a 1st round pick.

    Warner wasn't drafted.

    Brady was a 6th rounder.

    So if Brady & Warner were after the 3rd round / Undrafted why do the Jets have to draft someone in the first 3 rounds?
    I stand corrected about Simms, he was drafted 7th overall.

    Why draft a QB in the first three rounds? Because that's where the value is. So far only Geno Smith is getting a first round grade (doesn't mean other QB's wont go in the first), so getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round is getting the most value for that pick. Jets can draft a stud OLB or OL then go after a QB who can be brought along slowly, unless the kid lights it up ala Russell Wilson.

  5. #205
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    I agree but the fact that he went through a training camp in 2012 makes em feel better....I also look at all the 2013 options and I feel better with Garrard being on the sqaud....they will also draft a qb to be in the mix.



    Quote Originally Posted by sec318 View Post
    I would feel better if he had played sometime in the last 2 years

  6. #206
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    Bingo



    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    I stand corrected about Simms, he was drafted 7th overall.

    Why draft a QB in the first three rounds? Because that's where the value is. So far only Geno Smith is getting a first round grade (doesn't mean other QB's wont go in the first), so getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round is getting the most value for that pick. Jets can draft a stud OLB or OL then go after a QB who can be brought along slowly, unless the kid lights it up ala Russell Wilson.

  7. #207
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,283
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Is it me, or is that hat horrible?

    Thanks for the positive vibes, David.
    Bad hat, good guy, great signing.

  8. #208
    So long as Garrard remains healthy, Sanchez will never see another down. That is exactly what this team needs. The players will respect this move to the highest degree. The players have never liked or respected Mark Sanchez because he never earned anything he got.

    Now? Garrard is going to come into camp and clean his clock. We are going to see how much of a failure our young QB has been.

    This is also great from a fans perspective. Any knowledgeable fan knows the team will never win it all with David Garrard. But the rest of the fans now know that they have something to look forward to. After last season, the fans definitely needed something to look forward to or else they would have stopped going to games. The fans do not want to watch when they know the team doesn't have a chance. Now they do.

    And best of all, if we draft well and fix this OL, we may even possibly sneak into the playoffs. Not saying it is definitely going to happen, but we do have the basics to build a very effective running game. Defense, Special Teams, and a good running game coupled with a QB that won't turn the football over? That's a recipe for a 10-6 season and a wildcard.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    So long as Garrard remains healthy, Sanchez will never see another down. That is exactly what this team needs. The players will respect this move to the highest degree. The players have never liked or respected Mark Sanchez because he never earned anything he got.

    Now? Garrard is going to come into camp and clean his clock. We are going to see how much of a failure our young QB has been.

    This is also great from a fans perspective. Any knowledgeable fan knows the team will never win it all with David Garrard. But the rest of the fans now know that they have something to look forward to. After last season, the fans definitely needed something to look forward to or else they would have stopped going to games. The fans do not want to watch when they know the team doesn't have a chance. Now they do.

    And best of all, if we draft well and fix this OL, we may even possibly sneak into the playoffs. Not saying it is definitely going to happen, but we do have the basics to build a very effective running game. Defense, Special Teams, and a good running game coupled with a QB that won't turn the football over? That's a recipe for a 10-6 season and a wildcard.
    Dont know about that MaineJet, he hasnt been "productive" in the last two years. And I am being optimistic when I say productive (under 3000 yards passing on a Jacksonville team that struggled to put up points, everything went through MJD). Coupled with the injury problem which you mentioned, I really dont think he will come out of camp as the starter. We needed to get someone that would give Sanchez an actual challenge someone like an Orton, Foles or Flynn....someone who has more upside because a 2 year bridge will be needed for the next possible franchise QB they draft.

  10. #210
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    So long as Garrard remains healthy, Sanchez will never see another down.
    Don't get your hopes up too high. My money's on Sanchez beating Garrard out.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    So long as Garrard remains healthy, Sanchez will never see another down. That is exactly what this team needs. The players will respect this move to the highest degree. The players have never liked or respected Mark Sanchez because he never earned anything he got.

    Now? Garrard is going to come into camp and clean his clock. We are going to see how much of a failure our young QB has been.

    This is also great from a fans perspective. Any knowledgeable fan knows the team will never win it all with David Garrard. But the rest of the fans now know that they have something to look forward to. After last season, the fans definitely needed something to look forward to or else they would have stopped going to games. The fans do not want to watch when they know the team doesn't have a chance. Now they do.

    And best of all, if we draft well and fix this OL, we may even possibly sneak into the playoffs. Not saying it is definitely going to happen, but we do have the basics to build a very effective running game. Defense, Special Teams, and a good running game coupled with a QB that won't turn the football over? That's a recipe for a 10-6 season and a wildcard.
    Im confused what you mean with the above.

    As a fan why on earth would I feel anything other then misery if we open the 2013 season with david garrard as our QB.

    This is a guy who was "above average" when he was in his athletic prime. Now he is 34 and coming off 2 seasons of inactivity.

    You say youself, we all know we cant win with garrard so I should be happy that we are basically going to try to win 6 games with garrard "managing the game", not develop a younger player at the position, and then PRAY that we can move up high enough in the 2014 draft to get teddy bridgewater who is FAR from a cant miss prospect?

    The only players who the fans should be happy to see starting are a rookie picked in the top 50 (albeit it with our own picks or ones we get in a revis trade), or somelike matt flynn who could turn into the type of QB we need to be successful.

  12. #212
    Nice backup upgrade. Don't see this as having any impact on the Jets having a franchise QB anytime soon. Nobody is buying into the Idzik competition nonsense as suddenly turning Sanchez, McElroy, Tebow, Gerrard, add failed franchise QB name here, in competition as having any long term impact on the Jets actually fielding a team with a franchise QB.

    If we decide to unload Sanchize this year or next we are still a few years from fielding a team with a SB quality QB.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too high. My money's on Sanchez beating Garrard out.
    It would be just like Sanchez to play well enough in pre season to win the starting job over a rusty Garrard and even game 1 like last year and then fock us over for the next 15 games. Of course maybe Rex has grown a brain and would know to pull Sanchez as soon as his bad habits rear their ugly heads.

  14. #214
    goodie.

  15. #215
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    i will put a huge wager with you on that.....as long as sanchez beats him due to skill and not injury....garrard at 35 is MUCH better than sanchez right now.



    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too high. My money's on Sanchez beating Garrard out.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Nice backup upgrade. Don't see this as having any impact on the Jets having a franchise QB anytime soon. Nobody is buying into the Idzik competition nonsense as suddenly turning Sanchez, McElroy, Tebow, Gerrard, add failed franchise QB name here, in competition as having any long term impact on the Jets actually fielding a team with a franchise QB.

    If we decide to unload Sanchize this year or next we are still a few years from fielding a team with a SB quality QB.
    Many teams have gone and even won a SB with 1st and 2nd year starters at QB. You can even go back to Joe Montana who did it in his 2nd year starting. Talent shines if you have the right OC for it. Big Ben, Brady, last year we even saw Colin just miss the big win.

  17. #217
    Remember when we brought in another 35 year old has been?? What if we catch lightning in a bottle again?? What if Garrard has something left???

    He should protect the ball better than Sanchez and is way more accurate. over 61% completion. He could make us competitive. I hate the tanking the season theory.

  18. #218
    Garrard was pretty damn good before the Jags offensive line fell apart and he was taking 30-40 sacks a season and the turnovers started, he didn't throw a lot of picks and his completion percentage was much better than Sanchez. I'm totally on board with this move as a one year rental, having a veteran QB might help Hill reach his potential like Demaryius Thomas did with Manning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us