Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Story: Jets Sign David Garrard

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Instantly the best QB on the roster, if healthy.

If it's a fair fight, Garrard can obliterate Sanchez in camp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard iz 1 headslap away frm Q's like U got my $$$$? RU OK? Can U hear me???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    so i guess you would be more comfortable with sanchez, tebow and a rookie going into camp.
    Jf, what's with the laugh smiley before each post?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He starts the first 4 or 5 games, the Jets go 1-4 and then the rookie comes in. It allows you to not have to start the rookie right away, unless he blows everybody away from the start.
    Exactly. This is the kind of move you make when you're rebuilding.

The question now is: Which QB are we drafting?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    i see yor logic but dude.......EVERY GM in the nfl is out to win...the colts were supposedly rebuilding after winning TWO games in 2011...this may be a rocky season for the jets.....it may also not be since no one here knows what the roster will look like during training camp. my cousin kipp vickers played 10 years in the nfl and won a superbowl with the raven vs the giants...we talk about this so called expecting a tanked season and he said thats the biggest amount of nonsense coming from fans....you show me in nfl history ONC where the front office said they will send smoke screens to the fans because they know they will suck.....sorry but peoples jobs are on the line. The jets will attempt and i said attempt to put the best product on the field....with all the jets idicoy their last losing season since 2012 was 2007....some make it seem like this team is and has been the worst in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Brilliant signing by Idzik and let me tell you why.

Garrard will be lucky to make it through training camp without getting hurt. He will last a game or 2 tops. The guy's back is put together with duct tape. Izdik knows this.

So on the surface, it looks like he is actually trying to win. So the homer fans are now saying,"Yeah baby. This guy is better then Sanchez. He completes 70% of his passes. Yippee!"

The real fans, like myself, see this for what it is.

Idzik is creating the illusion that he cares about winning in 2013. Garrard will be on IR by week 2, sanchez or some other scrub will come in and stink, and we go on to win 3 games and get the #1 pick in the draft.

Brilliant!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Borgoguy I have been doing that since I joined the site back in 2003...it just stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Jf, what's with the laugh smiley before each post?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats the magic question.....funny thing is if you look at the likes of a tyler bray, landry jones, and others....they all have such different skill sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Exactly. This is the kind of move you make when you're rebuilding.

The question now is: Which QB are we drafting?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a shrewd signing. Definitely the most upside of any FA QB out there. He has potential to be a top 15-20 QB this year if he stays healthy and that is a massive upgrade from what we currently have on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have nothing to say until i see the #s on his contract . Then i will wait to see if he's on the team after the final preseason game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Borgoguy I have been doing that since I joined the site back in 2003...it just stuck.
    Cool. I just didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not with the posts.

Thanks for the favor of your reply.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol no problem brother.....no sarcasm from me....just football talk.

Cool. I just didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not with the posts.

Thanks for the favor of your reply.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Superbowl 2013 here we come... BOOK IT!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is the first of a few moves at QB, then I like it. If this is the "competition" for Sanchez and nothing further, that is pretty damn weak. Maybe the old guy has a little more left in the tank if he can stay healthy

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If we signed him cheap....which I fully suspect, it's a win win.

Stop gap vet for the Jets if they bring in a rookie who is not ready to start week 1.

If Garrard gets a chance to start and puts up decent numbers, he sets himself up to get a 2-3 year deal elsewhere, next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid, cheap pickup.

I don't understand how anyone could be upset about this. Who the hell were you guys hoping for? Brady Quinn? Brian Hoyer?

If Garrard is healthy, he's a solid gamemanager and legit competition for Sanchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post
    Superbowl 2013 here we come... BOOK IT!
    I'll cook the food. You wanna be my sous chef? Are your knife skills up to par? Would you feel comfortable staffing the sauté station?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it means finally getting rid of Heblows, it is right up there with the best transactions in Jet history. Hopefully he is cut by tomorrow, something that should have been done the Monday after the final 2012 game.

Get rid of this PROVEN LOSER now.

PS ...Golf in the desert ended today..what a great place...tomorrow, off to LA to meet the ship

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 11, 2013 at 05:57 p.m.
    Updated: March 11, 2013 at 06:06 p.m.

David Garrard isn't a long-term answer for the New York Jets at quarterback, but he'll do for now.

The Jets announced their signing of the nine-year veteran on Monday, a week after Garrard visited with the team for a workout.

Garrard has experience, but also considerable rust. He was out of football in 2011 following back surgery, then missed all of last season after injuring his knee in training camp with the Miami Dolphins. For his career, Garrard has a 39-37 record as a starter with a passer rating of 85.8.

The move gives the Jets a full house on their depth chart. Garrard joins a group that includes Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms.

Tebow is still the most likely to be removed from the equation, even if offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told the New York Daily News on Monday that Tebow "would be taking reps" at quarterback. McElroy and Simms could also be gone if the Jets use one of their draft picks on a quarterback they can develop.

This has the potential to be a good spot for Garrard, who joins the team at a time it seems open from moving on from Sanchez. Mornhinweg said Monday that Sanchez has the "leg up" to remain starter, but don't read too much into that.

Sanchez has used up the last of the team's patience, and is only on this team thanks to the misguided extension handed out last March by former general manager Mike Tannenbaum. If Garrard outplays Sanchez in training camp and the preseason, he'll likely find himself atop the depth chart come Week 1.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll cook the food. You wanna be my sous chef? Are your knife skills up to par? Would you feel comfortable staffing the sauté station?
    I'm mean in the kitchen !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez has used up the last of the team's patience, and is only on this team thanks to the misguided extension handed out last March by former general manager Mike Tannenbaum. If Garrard outplays Sanchez in training camp and the preseason, he'll likely find himself atop the depth chart come Week 1.