Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets have “good” offer on table for Revis per PFT

Hall Of Fame

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Lol Your the one who said "great player". And a rookie holding out during that era was fairly common. Facts are Revis isn't close to the top paid player at his position this year at only 6 mil. And hasn't been. Nnamdi was at 15 or so. Add in the fact the jets were willing to sell the farm to bring in nnamdi at a higher pay then Revis and you start to understand why he'd want to get paid. We were gonna cut CRO and give nnamdi more money then Revis and Revis was better.

How long have you guys been watching the jets ?? We often have said play out this season and you'll get your pay. "sike". Abraham and Kendall comes to mind without even thinking about it.
    If the jets were smart they woulda signed Revis for what he wanted then traded him at the first sign of decline when only they saw it. That way we would have gotten the best out of Revis. and still been compensated on draft picks for a HOF player "thought" to be still playing at the top of his game.
    That's easier said then done.. If he was playing don't you think the rest of the league would have noticed as well?? Unless you were basing it on training camp and preseason games?? BTW I've been watching the Jets/Titans since 1960 when I was 16 how about you??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Oh, I agree that you don't overpay. The Davis contract to Aso was an aberation, and blew the CB market out of whack. We are actually now seeing a correction in the CB market, with deals maxing out at around $10M-$11M rather than $15M or $16M.

With Revis, I would still make him the top-paid CB in the NFL, at say $12.5M to $13M. If he wants more than that, let him play out his deal and try to find more next year or trade him (if the terms are right for the team) and let him try to find a team willing to pay him more.

But, whatever happens, I won't hate on Revis for attempting to secure the most he can for his elite talents. That's just common sense, and good business.
    I completely agree and I don't think most Jet fans hate Revis. He has every right to look for the most he can get, but it doesn't change that fact that I believe what the Jets are doing is the right decision.

I would also add, while I don't hate Revis, I also don't love Revis. A player of his ability could have been beloved by the fan base and ultimately gotten more money if he wasn't so publicly difficult. Some great players handle themselves with a lot more class and ultimately get what they want. I believe Revis has been improperly handled by the people around him

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    The market at CB & OT = Fascinating. Clubs are playing players against one another, trying to drive prices down. Like a reverse bidding war.

I think Revis and his agents see that the market for CBs is being driven lower right now. Only two guys scheduled to make at least 10 million this year, and it doesnt look like any of the free agents this year will command near that amount. I dont care how good Revis is, he isnt worth 60% more than the next highest paid CB. Reality check time for Revis.
    This could very well be the Jet's strategy. Hold out until the market drops and then two things happen...

1) The trade market will open up for Revis as teams realize they don't have spend $15mm a year to sign him. The lower his asking price the more suitors.

2) Get the price to a reasonable rate and sign him long term to the Jets

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I completely agree and I don't think most Jet fans hate Revis. He has every right to look for the most he can get, but it doesn't change that fact that I believe what the Jets are doing is the right decision.

I would also add, while I don't hate Revis, I also don't love Revis. A player of his ability could have been beloved by the fan base and ultimately gotten more money if he wasn't so publicly difficult. Some great players handle themselves with a lot more class and ultimately get what they want. I believe Revis has been improperly handled by the people around him
    Good point. While I love Revis as a player and really want him to stay, I have to admit that his advisors make it difficult to love him off the field. On the field? Great guy, great talent, great leader. Off the field? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That's easier said then done.. If he was playing don't you think the rest of the league would have noticed as well?? Unless you were basing it on training camp and preseason games?? BTW I've been watching the Jets/Titans since 1960 when I was 16 how about you??
    You have completely missed my point.

I've been a fan since I was 9. I'm now 31 do your own math cause this has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    1) Can't say I agree here. How does Revis set a good example for younger players? Also, while he's the best cover corner in the league, he can only cover one person at a time. That numbers disadvantage you mention isn't a factor if the TE and RBs are always wide open.

2) This I agree with. But the argument against signing Revis is that it will take longer to build a good team with your CBs taking up a huge percentage of the cap year in and year out. I would rather see a balanced team than a group that can shut out wide receivers but do nothing else well on either side of the ball.

3) Because once you've realized you don't have the good team for which it makes sense to have a $16mil/year CB, you have to do something to get value for the guy before he walks.

For the record, I won't be pissed if Revis is resigned and the Jets can create cap room to be competitive in 2014 and beyond. Just seems like they will have to hit on a high percentage of draft picks to do that with less money available for free agency.

Plus, what's to stop Revis from holding the team hostage again a couple of years from now, if/when he's really needed?
    1) Because he leads by example. Why do you think the players do not respect Sanchez? Because he's never led the team by his play on the field and he's never competed in a straight up QB competition and come out victorious. If you want people to look at you like a leader, you must first do it by example. Revis does exactly that. The numbers advantage is always there. It doesn't matter about TE's and RB's, the point is you ALWAYS have an extra Safety to apply elsewhere because you never need to put that Safety over the top of Revis.

3) Once again, they are so hard to come by that you need to pay them. How long will it take us to find another player the caliber of Revis? It probab;ly won't ever happen again. And finally, you talk about commitiing big money to Revis, well let me ask you this:

If some other team can pay Revis top dollar and win a SB, WHY CAN'T WE? We have the very same salary cap as everyone else. So if they can do it, so can we.

Not to mention, so many posters here want to say "MEVIS" and sh*t like that. That's a crock. Everyone of those posters would do the same thing as Revis if they were as talented. Players have a limited time to get collect big money. Football careers tend to be short. It makes sense that Revis is trying to become well paid. Revis also said he wanted a long term contract for which the Jets have never given him. If you give him that top dollar, long term contract he won't hold the team hostage. He operates within reason. Everyone just makes the leap of logic all the time to say he'll always hold the team hostage every couple of years. No one knows that will happen.

Hall Of Fame
    This could very well be the Jet's strategy. Hold out until the market drops and then two things happen...

1) The trade market will open up for Revis as teams realize they don't have spend $15mm a year to sign him. The lower his asking price the more suitors.

right. the thing that's happening, independent of revis, is that the price for cbs is being re-established, lower than before. once revis realizes that whether he signs a new deal now, or plays out the year with the jets and then seeks out a deal as a UFA, he's not getting the contract he wanted. the market has changed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    You have completely missed my point.

I've been a fan since I was 9. I'm now 31 do your own math cause this has nothing to do with what I was saying.
    You said sign him and trade him when you see a decline did you not?? My question was don't you think other teams would see it as well??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    right. the thing that's happening, independent of revis, is that the price for cbs is being re-established, lower than before. once revis realizes that whether he signs a new deal now, or plays out the year with the jets and then seeks out a deal as a UFA, he's not getting the contract he wanted. the market has changed.
    This is correct. Goes a long way to explain why the Revis camp wants a trade and a new deal NOW. Because there is a salary correction going on around the NFL at the CB position, and it's not upwards.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    1) Because he leads by example. Why do you think the players do not respect Sanchez? Because he's never led the team by his play on the field and he's never competed in a straight up QB competition and come out victorious. If you want people to look at you like a leader, you must first do it by example. Revis does exactly that. The numbers advantage is always there. It doesn't matter about TE's and RB's, the point is you ALWAYS have an extra Safety to apply elsewhere because you never need to put that Safety over the top of Revis.

3) Once again, they are so hard to come by that you need to pay them. How long will it take us to find another player the caliber of Revis? It probab;ly won't ever happen again. And finally, you talk about commitiing big money to Revis, well let me ask you this:

If some other team can pay Revis top dollar and win a SB, WHY CAN'T WE? We have the very same salary cap as everyone else. So if they can do it, so can we.

Not to mention, so many posters here want to say "MEVIS" and sh*t like that. That's a crock. Everyone of those posters would do the same thing as Revis if they were as talented. Players have a limited time to get collect big money. Football careers tend to be short. It makes sense that Revis is trying to become well paid. Revis also said he wanted a long term contract for which the Jets have never given him. If you give him that top dollar, long term contract he won't hold the team hostage. He operates within reason. Everyone just makes the leap of logic all the time to say he'll always hold the team hostage every couple of years. No one knows that will happen.
    If you cannot see that Revis is significantly more confrontational and and difficult on financial issues that almost anyone else in the NFL I just have to assume you are blinded by how much you like Revis. The reality is that Revis and his entourage are HORRIBLE in this area.

Veteran
    It just sucks and is the Jets luck that we get a great HOF player that we actually drafted and he turns out to be a jackass. His attitude will cost us draft picks in the end.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    If you cannot see that Revis is significantly more confrontational and and difficult on financial issues that almost anyone else in the NFL I just have to assume you are blinded by how much you like Revis. The reality is that Revis and his entourage are HORRIBLE in this area.
    His team thought short-term instead of long-term and it has likely cost him money.

He listened to his uncle and relatively unknown agents.

Hall Of Fame
    This is correct. Goes a long way to explain why the Revis camp wants a trade and a new deal NOW. Because there is a salary correction going on around the NFL at the CB position, and it's not upwards.
    and ironically, to an extent, the jets defense is why. revis was used effectively against the pats. the pats saw this, went out and got 2 monster tes who killed teams who had great cbs. didn't matter. it's why safeties are back in vogue. so are rbs who can catch. would rather have good safeties and decent cbs than have revis and crappy safeties, which is what the jets had. eric smith was such a liability back there. don't even mind if landry leaves. the jets will draft a cover safety, maybe even vacarro. they will transform the coverage element of the defense so they can stick with tes and rbs. speed at olb is also coming, hopefully.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    revis was used effectively against the pats. the pats saw this, went out and got 2 monster tes who killed teams who had great cbs.
    If you think the Pats drafted Gronk and Hernandez because of Revis, you are crazy.

Do you know how many TE's BB has drafted since being in NE?????? BB covets good TE's, always has and always will, and Revis had absolutely nothing to do with Gronk and Hernandez.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If you think the Pats drafted Gronk and Hernandez because of Revis, you are crazy.

Do you know how many TE's BB has drafted since being in NE?????? BB covets good TE's, always has and always will, and Revis had absolutely nothing to do with Gronk and Hernandez.
    BB realized that having multiple TEs could largely negate a guy like revis.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You said sign him and trade him when you see a decline did you not?? My question was don't you think other teams would see it as well??

"The first signs of decline" not him in a decline. Champ showed the first signs of decline 07-08 Denver would have been well compensated for his services. In '08-09. That said I think we could keep Revis for 10-11 million now that the market has been corrected.

Hall Of Fame
    BB realized that having multiple TEs could largely negate a guy like revis.
    Thats true, he did by necessity as well, since Moss left the Pats havent had a real threat on the outside.

All Pro

Three excellent points gentlemen. Looks like time is on the Jets side in all of this.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Three excellent points gentlemen. Looks like time is on the Jets side in all of this.
    just another reason why his agents want a trade asap. they don't want other teams getting cbs, then nobody wants to pay him. the revis camp recognizes, for the first time, that they may actually price themselves out of the market. if they do that then revis would have no choice but to play out his contract and if he becomes the pouty player he makes it even harder to seek out the deal he wants.