Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets have “good” offer on table for Revis per PFT

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    your comments are totally unfounded!
    Whut?

My opinion is completely unfounded? It's founded on my opinion.

Whether you agree with it or not....up to you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post

There is a difference between how much NFL owners are willing to spend. Do you think the Browns in Cincy and the likes of Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder pay out the same amount of money in cash terms?

Woody is edging closer to the Browns than the Snyders right now. And he might be the least switched on owner, football-wise, in the NFL.
    Do you know how the salary cap works in the NFL?

Teams are required to spend to 88.9% of what ever the annual limit is, thus creating a level playing field.

So how does Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder spend more money on player salaries than any other team?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Teams are required to spend to 88.9% of what ever the annual limit is, thus creating a level playing field.

So how does Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder spend more money on player salaries than any other team?
    I know very well how the cap works, thank you. You may now return to attempting to patronise other posters.

There are lots of clever accounting ways to sail close to (or over) the cap. You may have noticed the Redskins got hammered for breaching the cap. You think they did this by spending the same amount of cash as the Bengals?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets fans are acting like we're in store for 10x 1st round picks b/c the Vikings got a 1st for Harvin. Newsflash: Harvin actually played football last season and is not coming off a serious knee injury.

Other newsflash: The 49ers just blew their load on trading for Boldin and his money so that possibly takes out the most likely suitor.
    In 2000 with 4 1st round picks we barely were relevant.

One division title?

This team needs discipline and management.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Yes, we know....you are desperate for the Jets to salary-dump Revis for a low return. It would take about, oh, ten seconds before you were on here killing them for it.

There is a difference between how much NFL owners are willing to spend. Do you think the Browns in Cincy and the likes of Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder pay out the same amount of money in cash terms?

Woody is edging closer to the Browns than the Snyders right now. And he might be the least switched on owner, football-wise, in the NFL.
    He's gonna walk at the end of the year because he wants to BANKRUPT the team he plays for.

REVIS has created this situation, not the JETS.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4830930]He's gonna walk at the end of the year because he wants to BANKRUPT the team he plays for.

REVIS has created this situation, not the JETS.[QUOTE]

Partly true.

The band-aid contract (with no FA tag option) the Jets gave Revis in 2010 has them in the situation they are today.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4830933][QUOTE=southparkcpa;4830930]He's gonna walk at the end of the year because he wants to BANKRUPT the team he plays for.

Partly true.

The band-aid contract (with no FA tag option) the Jets gave Revis in 2010 has them in the situation they are today.
    Name a few other players who act the way he does.

I blame the agents, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And WHY exactly is it a bad investment? I've gone through this many times and I believe:

1) Even in bad seasons for the NYJ, having Revis on the team sets a good example for the younger players and always gives them a chance at winning. Revis creates a numbers disadvantage as I'm sure you already know.

2) On a good team, Revis puts us over the top. He makes us championship worthy. He's the kind of guy that will make the difference in the SB. You want Revis in the spotlight in the biggest games.

3) Players like Revis only come along once every 10 or 20 years. Most team never get the chance to have a players of Revis' talents. Most never have. They are very few and far between to come by. So WHY do you trade a guy like that when it takes so damn long to find one? It makes no sense.
    1) Can't say I agree here. How does Revis set a good example for younger players? Also, while he's the best cover corner in the league, he can only cover one person at a time. That numbers disadvantage you mention isn't a factor if the TE and RBs are always wide open.

2) This I agree with. But the argument against signing Revis is that it will take longer to build a good team with your CBs taking up a huge percentage of the cap year in and year out. I would rather see a balanced team than a group that can shut out wide receivers but do nothing else well on either side of the ball.

3) Because once you've realized you don't have the good team for which it makes sense to have a $16mil/year CB, you have to do something to get value for the guy before he walks.

For the record, I won't be pissed if Revis is resigned and the Jets can create cap room to be competitive in 2014 and beyond. Just seems like they will have to hit on a high percentage of draft picks to do that with less money available for free agency.

Plus, what's to stop Revis from holding the team hostage again a couple of years from now, if/when he's really needed?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Name a few other players who act the way he does.

I blame the agents, also.
    Revis is in a unique situation.

He knows, and so do his agents, that he is the best CB in the NFL.

One way or another, he'll get his payday.

My point in the other post was that if the Jets truly wanted Revis to remain a Jet, they would have got it done with an extension in 2010, and not a 2-year band-aid approach that does nothing more than delay the inevitable.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4830933][QUOTE=southparkcpa;4830930]He's gonna walk at the end of the year because he wants to BANKRUPT the team he plays for.

Partly true.

Hate to say it but I agree. The Jets (Ie Tanny and Woody) made their bed on this one. But it still bears the fact that Revis is a very selfish player and his agents are blood suckers.

You can go cash over the cap after the start of the league year. But, by the start of the next league year you need to be back under.

My point in the other post was that if the Jets truly wanted Revis to remain a Jet, they would have got it done with an extension in 2010, and not a 2-year band-aid approach that does nothing more than delay the inevitable.
    If I remember, the Jets did offer somewhere between an 8-10 year lifetime contract that he would not sign. He wanted some 40-60 guaranteed.
    I believe Woody and the Jets are doing what is right, show him the door.

Partly true.

And at the time it worked...The deal got done. The Jets were coming off a AFCCG appearance and Rex was "talking SB"...Of course it didn't help negotiations when your HC announced every day the prior season how his CB was the best D player in the NFL..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    In 2000 with 4 1st round picks we barely were relevant. One division title?

This team needs discipline and management.
    Out of the 4 first rd picks both Ellis and Abe played well until Abe needed surgery. Chaddy was a rookie and Becht was well Becht.. The real reasons for the 9-7 year was KJ gone a new HC in Groh and Vinny after a year off had a 25 pick year his 2nd worse season since he was a Buc.. We started that season at 6-1..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    How does Revis set a good example for younger players? Also, while he's the best cover corner in the league, he can only cover one person at a time. That numbers disadvantage you mention isn't a factor if the TE and RBs are always wide open.
    Revis has an excellent work ethic, regardless of his contarct sitaution. In that sense he's a good example.

On the numbers side - if other teams want to stop / limit a Calvin Johnson type WR they double cover him, leaving 9 men to defend the remaining 10. Revis can do this on his own, meaning elsewhere you have 10 to stop 10.

Just so happens a lot of our other 10 sucked the last two years, mostly the LB's, and we got run all over. And when our safeties sucked the TE's and RB's were always open.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Revis has an excellent work ethic, regardless of his contarct sitaution. In that sense he's a good example.

On the numbers side - if other teams want to stop / limit a Calvin Johnson type WR they double cover him, leaving 9 men to defend the remaining 10. Revis can do this on his own, meaning elsewhere you have 10 to stop 10.

Just so happens a lot of our other 10 sucked the last two years, mostly the LB's, and we got run all over. And when our safeties sucked the TE's and RB's were always open.
    Can you name another Jet player in history that has held out like Revis?? Come to think of it how many great NFL players have held out like him??

All Pro
    This one hurts but i understand its business.

And quite frankly for as great he has been. He has been equally a disturbance with these contract issues. Seems like every 2 yrs he wants a new a deal.

Sad part is for what he makes in Endorsements for being in big market like NY. He should be will to take a little bit less to stay.

Good luck getting nike to release another pair of signature shoes playing for denver or SF

All Pro

I don't think they EVER had the intention of paying Revis. I think the band-aid fix was for the Jets, with them thinking they were close to a championship, so they kept him for two years to get them there. It didn't work, so I think the position all along was to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    But it still bears the fact that Revis is a very selfish player and his agents are blood suckers.
    You do realize this is a business here? And that teams will cut players the moment it becomes financially advantageous to do so?

So why is Revis 'selfish' for doing what any of us in this country do - namely trying to be compensated at as high a number as possible for his services?

This situation reminds me a lot of the Deion Branch situation in NE. Branch isn't an all-time great like Revis but he wanted to be paid well for his services, said as much, the fan base turned on him about how selfish he was and he ends up going to Seattle where he gets paid. Cue a 2006 season where if the Patriots had a WR other than Reche ****ing Caldwell and Doug Gabriel they probably hold on to beat the colts in the championship game.

The point is that a lot of you are doing the same stupid **** - turning on a guy because he's committing the 'sin' of wanting to be paid as much as he can get.

It's a business, deal with it. It's not a family, it's not a monday night bowling league, it's a business. Selfishness doesn't play into it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    You do realize this is a business here? And that teams will cut players the moment it becomes financially advantageous to do so?

So why is Revis 'selfish' for doing what any of us in this country do - namely trying to be compensated at as high a number as possible for his services?

This situation reminds me a lot of the Deion Branch situation in NE. Branch isn't an all-time great like Revis but he wanted to be paid well for his services, said as much, the fan base turned on him about how selfish he was and he ends up going to Seattle where he gets paid. Cue a 2006 season where if the Patriots had a WR other than Reche ****ing Caldwell and Doug Gabriel they probably hold on to beat the colts in the championship game.

The point is that a lot of you are doing the same stupid **** - turning on a guy because he's committing the 'sin' of wanting to be paid as much as he can get.

It's a business, deal with it. It's not a family, it's not a monday night bowling league, it's a business. Selfishness doesn't play into it.
    Good post. Amazing how quickly fans turn on players for the crime of working within the system to maximise their earnings. That's called a free market.

Revis wants to be paid. All the great ones want to be paid. You either agree they are worth it and pay it, or you don't. But there is no point hating them over it.