Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets have “good” offer on table for Revis per PFT

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Good post. Amazing how quickly fans turn on players for the crime of working within the system to maximise their earnings. That's called a free market.

Revis wants to be paid. All the great ones want to be paid. You either agree they are worth it and pay it, or you don't. But there is no point hating them over it.
    But all the great one's don't conduct their busniness like Mevis.. He was holding out before he played 1 down of NFL football..

The big concern I have is that Woody is driving this. No-one else just a little scared of Woody making football decisions or negotiating with much better-informed owners?

Woody wants to trade Revis for one reason - to save himself money. He's not making this decision for cap reasons or team-building reasons, it's because he doesn't want to hand out a lot of cash.

If Idzik was driving this, I'd feel more comfortable. But, since it's apparently Woody, you know the decision is being made for the wrong reasons and the Jets are likely to get taken in any potential trade.
    Cheap is NOT the issue. The Jets will spend the maximum they can in the salary cap...Have always spent the max they can in the salary cap and will continue to spend the max they can in the salary.

This whole idea that Woody is somehow being cheap is ridiculous!!!!

All League
    couple things.....revis is one of my all time fav jets, he is a GREAT player...but at the same time i am with the parcels view that u do not pay that position the big $$$ and we all know revis is about the $$$......all that being said......this deal BETTER include a first round pick!!!! IT BETTER!!!!!

Good post. Amazing how quickly fans turn on players for the crime of working within the system to maximise their earnings. That's called a free market.

Revis wants to be paid. All the great ones want to be paid. You either agree they are worth it and pay it, or you don't. But there is no point hating them over it.
    Everybody wants to be paid..But they aren't threatening to hold out when their contract is up in two years...Woody is flat out tired with Revis (off the field) and his agents..It's as simple as that.

http://www.jerseyjetsfan.com/2012/04...-do-you-think/

April 24, 2012
    Two years after signing the deal that ended his training-camp holdout in 2010, Revis did not rule out holding out this year for a new deal.
    “I just don’t know. I’m not saying I am going to hold out; I’m not saying I’m not going to hold out,”

Hall Of Fame
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    One reason Revis' camp would push a trade NOW: Market flooded with CBs, money could be lower than expected, change the math at the position.

Hall Of Fame

The problem is that reasonable people can and do differ about exactly where "it" lies. At what point does paying "it" inflict too great of an impact on the remaining pool of dollars that must be used on everyone else. For the Cornerback position, after several years of dementia induced lunacy from a close to the end Al Davis, the market for top end CB appears to have softened somewhat and I don't think the best CB in the NFL should get anywhere close to that same zip code as $16 million per year.

Personally I would wince and do the deal at $11 million per year and not a penny more. He is a cornerback.

As much as he doesn't owe us anything, that this is a business, neither do we owe him anything. Not a damned thing. This is a business and we are looking to extract maximal present day value from a divorce.

Darrelle Revis, New York Jets trade chatter picks up

By Gregg Rosenthal

Free agency is ready to start. It sure sounds like Darrelle Revis' representatives and the New York Jets are worried about getting left out in the cold without a trade partner.

A trio of reports have surfaced that suggest the New York Jets and Revis' agents are frantically trying to create a market for the cornerback through the media. Yahoo! Sports reported Sunday night that the Jets' "lack of cooperation" with Revis' agents have hurt a potential deal.

ProFootballTalk reported Monday night that the Jets have a "good" offer on the table for Revis, but another source tells PFT the financial part of the Revis deal hasn't been shared with his agents. (More "lack of cooperation.")

The Jets haven't even given permission for Revis' agents to talk to teams. Does that sound like a team ready to make a trade? How could a deal be considered good if the agents don't even know Revis' potential contract numbers?

Meanwhile, the New York Daily News reported emphatically Tuesday that the Jets are "poised to trade" Revis and the two sides are "headed for a divorce." One source told the newspaper that new John Idzik would be an "idiot" if a deal is not completed by the end of Wednesday.

"Woody Johnson is never paying him," a source told the Daily News.

That seems clear enough. That doesn't mean another team is ready to pay Revis too. All of the Revis stories include conflicting information and sound unsure about the footing of their reports. The same Daily News report that says the Jets are "headed for a divorce" ends with the following question:
    "Will the Jets pull the trigger?"

The answer: No one knows. It's probably scaring the heck out of Revis' representatives, as all the NFL teams plan to spend money on cornerbacks not named Darrelle Revis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Can you name another Jet player in history that has held out like Revis?? Come to think of it how many great NFL players have held out like him??
    Emmit smith comes to mind. but honestly most HOF players get their payday.
    If you were the best lawyer/cook/architect etc....... I'd bet you'd wanna be paid like the best. Calling him selfish is silly.

Whats the point of getting high draft picks anyway?? looking at our history if they're any good we will just trade them away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    If you were the best lawyer/cook/architect etc....... I'd bet you'd wanna be paid like the best. Calling him selfish is silly.

Whats the point of getting high draft picks anyway?? looking at our history if they're any good we will just trade them away anyway.
    He has been paid the best for a CB just like he wanted

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I said held out like him.. Emmitt didn't hold out as a rookie.. Plus he was both the NFL MVP and the Super Bowl MVP when the Cowboys were low balling him.. Not quite the same..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Cheap is NOT the issue. The Jets will spend the maximum they can in the salary cap...Have always spent the max they can in the salary cap and will continue to spend the max they can in the salary.

This whole idea that Woody is somehow being cheap is ridiculous!!!!
    I normally agree with coops on most things but I agree he is off the reservation with this whole cheap idea. It is actually a cheap shot on his part. I am pretty sure we spend to the cap limit every single year and not wanting to give a CB $16 million per year.... any CB on the planet... is a perfectly legitimate position to hold. Bill Parcells pretty much said the exact same thing on TV a week or so ago. The history of teams paying huge contracts to CBs is not a good history. Not good at all.

The bigger question for Woody and the real issue in my mind is that if the Jets negotiate a deal with Revis and they come to an agreement today, will Revis stay "bought" after a year or so if he has been healthy and playing well? Will he stay bought or will he once again start to feel "disrespected"? I think the answer to that one is no he will not stay bought and yes he will start to feel disrespected. Then this whole cycle of leaked media pouting will play out again like groundhog day.

There absolutely nothing in Revis' history that suggests he will play out this next deal if the health and performance variables or the deal have swung the value back towards the Jets. Would he collect his checks if he got re-injured or never reached the same levels of on the field performance? Of course he would! I think Woody is extremely smart to stay well away from this future problem. Revis may have the best work habits on the team as regards conditioning but all of this stuff is a giant cancer on the franchise.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The problem is that reasonable people can and do differ about exactly where "it" lies. At what point does paying "it" inflict too great of an impact on the remaining pool of dollars that must be used on everyone else. For the Cornerback position, after several years of dementia induced lunacy from a close to the end Al Davis, the market for top end CB appears to have softened somewhat and I don't think the best CB in the NFL should get anywhere close to that same zip code as $16 million per year.

Personally I would wince and do the deal at $11 million per year and not a penny more. He is a cornerback.

As much as he doesn't owe us anything, that this is a business, neither do we owe him anything. Not a damned thing. This is a business and we are looking to extract maximal present day value from a divorce.
    Oh, I agree that you don't overpay. The Davis contract to Aso was an aberation, and blew the CB market out of whack. We are actually now seeing a correction in the CB market, with deals maxing out at around $10M-$11M rather than $15M or $16M.

With Revis, I would still make him the top-paid CB in the NFL, at say $12.5M to $13M. If he wants more than that, let him play out his deal and try to find more next year or trade him (if the terms are right for the team) and let him try to find a team willing to pay him more.

But, whatever happens, I won't hate on Revis for attempting to secure the most he can for his elite talents. That's just common sense, and good business.

Cimini: In a twist, the Jets behave like Giants

In a twist, the Jets behave like Giants
    March, 12, 2013

A hilariously ironic scene unfolded Monday at an NFL-organized event at Rockefeller Center.

The noisy and brash Jets were quiet. The understated and old-school Giants were loud.

Woody Johnson, owner of the big-top Jets, absolutely refused to answer any questions about the future of Darrelle Revis. Reporters badgered him, but he refused to give up anything during the interrogation. You half-wondered if people were watching on the other side of a two-way mirror.

Nearby, Giants co-owner John Mara talked and talked about Victor Cruz, a restricted free agent. It was a clear case of public negotiating, Mara saying how much they'd love to have him but claiming there's a limit to how much they're willing to pay.

A role reversal for our two local teams.

Why have the Jets opted for the silent approach? Some might say it's an attempt to "smoke out" Revis' hard-line agents, but I think it has more to do with the Jets having no interest in talking to Revis about a contract extension. I wrote this a few weeks ago, and I'll write it again: There's no chance that Johnson will sign Revis to a new deal. None. They will trade their best player, and it's only a matter of when.

It would be bad business for the Jets to trade Revis without so much as a contract discussion with the agents. Is that any way to run a franchise? As of Monday night, the Jets hadn't reached out to the agents, according to league sources. In theory, they'll have to give them permission to negotiate a contract with the team that steps up and agrees to trade for him, meeting the Jets' compensation demands.

Pro Football Talk reported Monday night that the Jets have a "good" offer on the table for Revis. It's hard to imagine a team coming to the table this quickly, considering Revis is only five months removed from ACL surgery. Be careful, there's a lot of smoke this time of year. But if the Jets do have a good offer, they should wait because they should be able to do better as Revis gets healthier. Maybe a bidding war emerges before the draft.

Revis has a de facto no-trade clause because any team willing to trade for him likely will want to negotiate a long-term contract, and the Revis camp will drive a hard bargain. Without a long-term deal, Revis could be a one-year rental, and it's hard to imagine a team surrendering a lucrative compensation package to the Jets without having a commitment from Revis beyond 2013. If the Jets let him go without receiving at least a first-round pick, there should be an investigation.

The Bucs make a lot of sense as a possible destination. They need a cornerback, they have more than $30 million in cap room and they've negotiated big deals with Revis' agents in the past -- i.e. Vincent Jackson. Coach Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers coach, is familiar with Revis from his Big East days.

On Monday, Johnson said he'd field Revis-related questions next week at the league meetings. Who knows? By then, Revis could be gone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Hall Of Fame
    The market at CB & OT = Fascinating. Clubs are playing players against one another, trying to drive prices down. Like a reverse bidding war.

I think Revis and his agents see that the market for CBs is being driven lower right now. Only two guys scheduled to make at least 10 million this year, and it doesnt look like any of the free agents this year will command near that amount. I dont care how good Revis is, he isnt worth 60% more than the next highest paid CB. Reality check time for Revis.

And Emmitt Smith is still a douche to this day!!

this is simply an asset allocation issue. the league's best teams are the best offensive teams. money needs to be reallocated towards scoring points. not much more to it than that. over time, guys like holmes and sanchez will leave and they'll have even more money to reallocate to offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The market at CB & OT = Fascinating. Clubs are playing players against one another, trying to drive prices down. Like a reverse bidding war.

I think Revis and his agents see that the market for CBs is being driven lower right now. Only two guys scheduled to make at least 10 million this year, and it doesnt look like any of the free agents this year will command near that amount. I dont care how good Revis is, he isnt worth 60% more than the next highest paid CB. Reality check time for Revis.
    b/c teams know it's foolish to pay 1 cb that much money. the league has changed and safeties and lbs who can cover are as important.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I normally agree with coops on most things but I agree he is off the reservation with this whole cheap idea. It is actually a cheap shot on his part. I am pretty sure we spend to the cap limit every single year and not wanting to give a CB $16 million per year.... any CB on the planet... is a perfectly legitimate position to hold. Bill Parcells pretty much said the exact same thing on TV a week or so ago. The history of teams paying huge contracts to CBs is not a good history. Not good at all.

The bigger question for Woody and the real issue in my mind is that if the Jets negotiate a deal with Revis and they come to an agreement today, will Revis stay "bought" after a year or so if he has been healthy and playing well? Will he stay bought or will he once again start to feel "disrespected"? I think the answer to that one is no he will not stay bought and yes he will start to feel disrespected. Then this whole cycle of leaked media pouting will play out again like groundhog day.

There absolutely nothing in Revis' history that suggests he will play out this next deal if the health and performance variables or the deal have swung the value back towards the Jets. Would he collect his checks if he got re-injured or never reached the same levels of on the field performance? Of course he would! I think Woody is extremely smart to stay well away from this future problem. Revis may have the best work habits on the team as regards conditioning but all of this stuff is a giant cancer on the franchise.
    I think there is definitely more reluctance on the Jets (and Woody's) part to pay big up-front money and big signing bonuses on contracts. Yes, they will continue to spend at or near the cap (as they are obliged to do by the CBA) but there are less and less of the big signings with major money up-front.

Of course, Woody can run his team this way if he so chooses. But I think it comes with the price of reducing the talent on the team, as the great players with the bargaining power will always want money up front and big guarantees.

Just my opinion but I think the Jets are becoming more reluctant to offer up those guarantees - maybe stadium and PSL related, maybe Sanchez and Holmes experience related.

My preference is, and always has been, to keep Revis. I wouldn't overpay or give him Mario Williams money, but I would attempt to meet him somewhere in between what he wants and what I am prepated to pay. On the face of it, with no negotiations at all to date, it looks like the Jets aren't even going to try to do that.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I said held out like him.. Emmitt didn't hold out as a rookie.. Plus he was both the NFL MVP and the Super Bowl MVP when the Cowboys were low balling him.. Not quite the same..
    Lol Your the one who said "great player". And a rookie holding out during that era was fairly common. Facts are Revis isn't close to the top paid player at his position this year at only 6 mil. And hasn't been. Nnamdi was at 15 or so. Add in the fact the jets were willing to sell the farm to bring in nnamdi at a higher pay then Revis and you start to understand why he'd want to get paid. We were gonna cut CRO and give nnamdi more money then Revis and Revis was better.

How long have you guys been watching the jets ?? We often have said play out this season and you'll get your pay. "sike". Abraham and Kendall comes to mind without even thinking about it.
    If the jets were smart they woulda signed Revis for what he wanted then traded him at the first sign of decline when only they saw it. That way we would have gotten the best out of Revis. and still been compensated on draft picks for a HOF player "thought" to be still playing at the top of his game.

BTW since nnamdi was cut I think we could get Revis for 10-11 mil which is perfect market value.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 03-12-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    And Emmitt Smith is still a douche to this day!!
    Agreed!!!