Thread: Buzzer Beater Mock Offseason

Buzzer Beater Mock Offseason

FA/Resign/Cuts/Restructure

Iím going to go the lazy route here for restructures and say that we do most of Jasonís plan from nyjetscap.com, with the exception of the Sanchez restructure. Iíd rather be able to make a clean break next season from him. The rest donít add much into the next year

Cap Space: 24 million

Trade: ASSUMING Revis doesnít come back at a reasonable price (likely), I am going with Tampa giving up a 1st and 2nd this year. Seeing what Harvin got this seems very possible

FA:

Victor Butler DE/OLB- Low cost, young yet seasoned player; has some upside and might have just been blocked by two all pros; played pretty well when called upon, not a game changer but has a good shot at starting

Geoff Schwartz RG/RT- Low cost depth signing, with starting potential; played well in Carolina before being replaced due to injury in Minny; he outplayed his counterpart in Minny and so it is slightly strange that he didnít get more PT there; worth the low cost

Matt Slauson LG- Adequate starter who is familiar with the team and the lineman we are keeping

Eric Winston RT- I am not a huge fan of Howard; I think he did okay, but he is that guy you are always looking to upgrade; with Winston available you can really upgrade the OL with a guy who is a perfect fit for the ZBS scheme that MM runs

Sammie Lee Hill NT/DL- he is a an overlooked player on the Lions due to all their big name players, but he has been quite productive in his limited playing time; young and would give us a big body in the middle to replace Pouha, who in this scenario is gone (I think they cut him if they can find a nice piece like Hill to replace him); I think he comes cheaper because he plays in the shadow of Suh/Fairley

Draft:

1(9)- Geno Smith QB

I think he falls because of the ridiculous ďthis draft is weakĒ talk; really talented QB who would fit MMís scheme perfectly; has plenty of talent and with our lack of anything at the position I donít think you pass him up if heís here; of course this is just my take on him, the Jets need to feel strongly about him to make this move

1(13)- Jarvis Jones/Damontre Moore DE/OLB

Depends on the how the Jets medical staff feels about Jones; I like both, so this is sort of a cop out; if you really made me pick Iíd take Jones, he just seems to have obscene upside that shouldnít really be available at this point

2(7)- Matt Elam FS

A fast athletic FS that we have been missing since Rhodes started playing like he was made of glass; will give this defense the takeaways that are cornerstone of a Rex Ryan run defense

2(13)- Larry Warford OG

A mauler with nice athleticism; I think he gets lumped into the plodder group because of how strong this OG class is; really he is quite nimble for a man his size and would be a great fit at the RG or LG spot; Izdik talks about competition, the training camp battles for the starting guard spots would be pretty intense with this plan

3(10)- Christine Michael RB

An explosive one cut runner, he fell out favor due to his coachís obsession with Johnny Manziel; I think itís good to pass but to not run a guy like Michael was foolishness in my opinion, and would have given them a more balanced attack; he falls to this spot and I think had it not been for the change in emphasis, heíd not even be here

4(9)- DaíRick Rogers WR

Worth the risk at this point in the draft, where he falls due to character concerns; blue chip player otherwise and if he keeps his head on straight would give us a nice WR corp in 2014 when Holmes is most likely cut

5(8)- Michael Williams TE

A big TE who can maul at the POA, but is athletic enough to make some nice plays in the passing game; I think heíd immediately be a better redzone target than Keller because of his height

6(10)- Quanterus Smith DE/OLB

Low risk-high reward; gives more youth at the LB position; while his ACL heals he can be groomed to get into the rotation in 2014, if it doesnít pan no big deal; but if everything goes right he could be a huge steal

7(9)- Khaled Holmes C

A developmental prospect and potential backup for Mangold; comes from a solid program in Southern Cal, needs a NFL training regimen to get stronger; Mangold never can rest from injuries which I think has sapped him somewhat; while a 7th rounder isnít the ideal solution, itís better than street FA and at the very least makes the competition for backup more intense

Flame away!

Sign me up.....I'm a big fan of Geno Smith at 9 if he falls.....Absolutely worth a shot there

The rest of the draft is awesome too and would be a haul to get that much young talent in positions of need (Matt Elam and Da'Rick Rogers are favorites but I honestly like em all)

Would maybe need to take a shot on a CB in the mid rounds if we trade Revis

The free agents are fine but Eric Winston is overkill IMO.....Howard is still young and getting better....I think he's a solid option for RT going forward

All Pro
    i just can't buy a team giving us a pick in the top 15 like TB, forking over their 2nd this year. No way, now how. Next year? maybe...

I dunno about Geno. I flip flop. I'd rather see Jones & Cooper.

The rest I like, except Warford. 3rd round talent.

My favorite mock draft that I have seen.

If the Jets were lucky and the pieces fell this way I would be more than satisfied with this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i just can't buy a team giving us a pick in the top 15 like TB, forking over their 2nd this year. No way, now how. Next year? maybe...

I dunno about Geno. I flip flop. I'd rather see Jones & Cooper.

The rest I like, except Warford. 3rd round talent.
    It was hard debate with taking Warmack at 9 and taking Bray in the 3rd. But it was just really hard to justify if for some reason Geno Smith fell. He is a really really good prospect. I think the hate stems from the fact that he isn't the once in a generation prospect that RGIII and Luck were. But that doesn't mean he's not worth a first.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    It was hard debate with taking Warmack at 9 and taking Bray in the 3rd. But it was just really hard to justify if for some reason Geno Smith fell. He is a really really good prospect. I think the hate stems from the fact that he isn't the once in a generation prospect that RGIII and Luck were. But that doesn't mean he's not worth a first.
    Geno is the only QB worth sniffing this year for the Jets, but he's going to need a true redshirt season. Just watching and learning. With Sh*tchez out there, he'll be pushed too quickly.

Bray??? hell no. The 3rd? He'll still be there in 5-7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Geno is the only QB worth sniffing this year for the Jets, but he's going to need a true redshirt season. Just watching and learning. With Sh*tchez out there, he'll be pushed too quickly.

Bray??? hell no. The 3rd? He'll still be there in 5-7th.
    I am higher on Bray than most consider him my Petti if you will lol

As for Geno I think he is more pro-ready than most think. He has the accuracy and is pretty polished. I think a guy like MM could can slowly bring him along. Also sanchez might be serviceable with Marty, which speaks to they guy's ability as an OC.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I am higher on Bray than most consider him my Petti if you will lol

As for Geno I think he is more pro-ready than most think. He has the accuracy and is pretty polished. I think a guy like MM could can slowly bring him along. Also sanchez might be serviceable with Marty, which speaks to they guy's ability as an OC.
    Ya its not that he physically couldn't play at the NFL level, it's mentally I'd like Geno to take a year to digest everything. He could use a solid year of being brought up in pro-style system like MM's.

It's not a bad thing to groom your franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Would love this

The only complaint I have is Winston. I agree with Koopa that it would be overkill.

If Geno is there at #9, I think you have to take him.

Let him hold the clipboard for a year behind Sanchez and Garrard then hand over the reigns in 2014.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Would love this

The only complaint I have is Winston. I agree with Koopa that it would be overkill.

If Geno is there at #9, I think you have to take him.

Let him hold the clipboard for a year behind Sanchez and Garrard then hand over the reigns in 2014.
    I'd rather take the money we'd use to sign Winston and apply it to resigning Landry. With this mock, which I like a lot, I don't see our hard-hitting SS. I've seen bits here and there suggesting the market for Landry is closer to $3-4MM than the $6MM he wanted. At that price, I'd take the risk and give him a contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL anyones dream draft. I love the unrealistic optimism.

All Pro
    Of course I'd sign up for this. I just don't know how realistic it is.

I can't see Smith lasting until 9. And I don't see any way Tampa sends us 2 top 50 picks for Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    My dream draft certainly does not include Geno Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    And there was no way Rodgers was gonna fall that far... or that Quinn would fall that far... or Gabbert rise so high. Happens every year and someone is there to scoop them up.

Can you really count out the Bills not doing something nuts and taking a WR even with Smith available? Or maybe taking Barkley/Emanuel? Every year there are epic fails high in the draft. We can only hope that the Jets reap the rewards rather than provide them.