Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Bloomberg's Soda Ban Blocked by Judge

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Riggggghhht, because big business and politicians have a strong history of treating workers fairly throughout history.

    We wouldnt need unions if politicians and big business acted human.


    Now I must say I agreed with your earlier post here about Bloomberg and his major shortcomings - well written.
    HOWEVER, we all know (and in yiour heart you have to admit) that while unions were ONCE necessary they now have abiusive power. The trade unions are all thugs and criminals with major ties to organized crime. Police and fire are generally restrained but they can be a pain because they put their lives on the line. Teachers are so so. Paid generallly more than earned. And too many rules protecting bad teachers. Especially ones who exercise moral shortcomings.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I happen to think what Bloomberg did was a brilliant publicity stunt to bring attention to a real health issue. The actual ban was so crazy it got national attention. The underlying issue of people making good individual choices to have a healthy society has to be balanced with good choices being as readily available as bad choices. When you go into a Supermarket, it gets harder ever day. This crazy stunt got tremendous publicity and put a little scare into the big food companies that routinely put poision on the shelf in supermarkets across are country every day.
    I don't think politicians should generate publicity by supporting ridiculous (your word), or illegal (my word) policy. And to be quite honest, i hear about how fat Americans are all the time. I'm not sure anyone is shocked that we have a lot of fat and unhealthy (not always the same group btw) people out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    And again i don't think it's fair to call soda or junk food "poison". There are a lot of factor's that determine weight and health. You can eat "bad" food, and be healthy. You can eat "good" food, and be fat and unhealthy. Overall calorie intake matters, activity level matters, nutrient distribution matters, genetics matter. Getting New Yorkers as a group to drink less soda would probable be a good thing (assuming you could negate the calorie compensation affects i mentioned in my previous post), but New Yorkers are also individuals, and some of them are healthy, and drinking 20 ounce soda's regularly. Some of them are unhealthy but have the knowledge and means to choose healthy options. They are free to make their own choices.
    The problem is i have a hard time differentiating this from things like Obama care. Or the low-flo toilets or a hundred other bat ---- crazy regulations that pass and affect my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    You are absolutely right, people have to make choices for themselves. I'm not focused on his bat **** crazy idea of banning large soda. What isn't a bat **** crazy idea is that people should think twice about consuming sugar at the rates our society is consuming it and Bloomberg in his crazy way made the point.
    I agree people should be more consciences about what they are eating. I disagree that Bloomberg doesn't actually want this portion ban to take affect.. i mean he's appealing, isn't he? If he wins the appeal, do you really think he's going to laugh and say "just kidding guys!... but let's try to be smarter about what we eat and drink, eh?" Of course he's not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Put down the bread and cheese and give me 20. That extra 10 pounds isn't doing you any good.
    Haha, no it's not. I've been bad about going to the gym since around last October. Built one in my basement, and hopefully that will keep me more regular in my workouts. =)

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    the question is does a corporation doing business in NYC have the right to sell poison with no restrictions when a large percentage of society health is is impacted, a legitimate public health issue. I'm pretty sure if you want to drink 20 ounces of Coke Bloomberg law didn't prevent you from doing it.
    Should a local NYC pizzaria be able to sell a 2 liter bottle of coke to a family of four ordering a pie? Because unless im mistaken, they would have to sell multiple smaller bottles at a higher cost to the consumer. At least I recall reading that in one of the many media articles out there.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Should a local NYC pizzaria be able to sell a 2 liter bottle of coke to a family of four ordering a pie? Because unless im mistaken, they would have to sell multiple smaller bottles at a higher cost to the consumer. At least I recall reading that in one of the many media articles out there.
    It depends on the gross weight of the family of four. If they weigh over a 1,000 pounds a decent owner of a pizza establishment wouldn't sell them the pizza.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It depends on the gross weight of the family of four. If they weigh over a 1,000 pounds a decent owner of a pizza establishment wouldn't sell them the pizza.
    I hope you're kidding.

    So even though the family, out of their own free will, called the pizza man and asked to have some of his product in exchange for their money, he should turn down those profits, even though that is exactly what he exists to do?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    So with all the things that need to be improved in this city I'm supposed to believe that Mayor Billionaire cares about people who drink too much soda? But alcohol, illegal drugs, drugs use in clubs, young people abusing over the counter drugs, bars that serve alcohol to people who have obviously driven there, chips, candy, etc, etc is ok?

    This soda ban was to deflect all the shortcomings of Mayor Bloomberg.

    Mayor Billionaire's whole platform was how he was going to drastically change education for the better and it has FAILED MISERABLY.

    Lots of people outside the classroom making tons of money on the backs of school kids. The school day has become MISERABLE for students and teachers under his reign with no real learning.

    Mayor Billionaire has succeeded in creating another gerneration of young people who hate education.

    What this mayor has done to children's education is crime.

    I beg those who are eligible in this great city to vote for a mayor that has a pulse on the people and workers of NYC.

    Mayor Billionaire has TRIPLED his worth since becoming mayor of NYC?

    If being mayor and improving the lives of NYers was his priority then how did he profit so much?
    Bloomberg is one of if not the greatest mayor NYC has ever had. Republicans were slobbering all over this guy's schmuck for 10 years up until he proposed a Super-Size Soda Ban then the corporations who control the Republican party went into freak mode and had all their puppets on radio and internet mobilize their ditto-heads into accusing Bloomberg of being a commie dictator.


    Victory for Freedom! What a bunch of garbage.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I hope you're kidding.

    So even though the family, out of their own free will, called the pizza man and asked to have some of his product in exchange for their money, he should turn down those profits, even though that is exactly what he exists to do?
    You need to find a better pizza establishment.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,195
    Instead of banning soda troughs...NYC should make it legal to belittle and make fun of fat people in public.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It depends on the gross weight of the family of four. If they weigh over a 1,000 pounds a decent owner of a pizza establishment wouldn't sell them the pizza.
    and get sued for discrimination in the process.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    and get sued for discrimination in the process.
    And violate local building codes and the designed load for I-beams and reinforced concrete.

    Just say No to fatties.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Now I must say I agreed with your earlier post here about Bloomberg and his major shortcomings - well written.
    HOWEVER, we all know (and in yiour heart you have to admit) that while unions were ONCE necessary they now have abiusive power. The trade unions are all thugs and criminals with major ties to organized crime. Police and fire are generally restrained but they can be a pain because they put their lives on the line. Teachers are so so. Paid generallly more than earned. And too many rules protecting bad teachers. Especially ones who exercise moral shortcomings.
    PD, you are an educated poster and enjoy reading your views. There are no more "bad teachers" than there are bad cops, firemen, and sanitation workers. About 10 years ago elite politicians made it their witch hunt to vilify all civil servants in the midst of the recession. Teachers were on the front lines. Teachers were an easy target. Everyone has had one they didnt particularly like and they have summers off. (Shhhhh, dont tell the public that its just about the same days off for vacation as a cop or fireman.)

    The government convinced an out of work public that working civil servants were the blame of the recession and not big business and crooked politicians. The government came up with educational plans that included junk data and exaggerated stories of teachers doing nothing because they have tenure. They poisoned the public through the media that teachers had no accountability and if a supervisor came in the room the teacher could tell the administrator to F off because they are in the union. Furthest from the truth. All tenure does is give the teacher due process if a principal wants to fire them unjustly. So the government cant swoop in a fire experienced teachers simply because their salary in more than a rookie.

    The media makes it sound like most teachers were lazy and didnt deserve their position. The government came down hard and threatened to get rid of all the supposed "bad teachers." They came in and you know what they found? That most teachers do their jobs well. Well enough to labeled satisfactory. So now they have to come up with unjust evaluation system with unreachable goals. All to save money on the backs of children. If it werent for my union I'd be out of a job. I have lived it first hand. If you are interested read up on Mayor Bloomberg's ATR program and the underhanded ways he tried to trick excellent teachers into firing them. One of many under his watch.

    Very sad as to what our government has turned education into. Just a test factory for students making testing companies that are often tied to political leaders big bucks.
    Last edited by copernicus; 03-17-2013 at 09:51 PM.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    PD, you are an educated poster and enjoy reading your views. There are no more "bad teachers" than there are bad cops, firemen, and sanitation workers. About 10 years ago elite politicians made it their witch hunt to vilify all civil servants in the midst of the recession. Teachers were on the front lines. Teachers were an easy target. Everyone has had one they didnt particularly like and they have summers off. (Shhhhh, dont tell the public that its just about the same days off for vacation as a cop or fireman.)

    The government convinced an out of work public that working civil servants were the blame of the recession and not big business and crooked politicians. The government came up with educational plans that included junk data and exaggerated stories of teachers doing nothing because they have tenure. They poisoned the public through the media that teachers had no accountability and if a supervisor came in the room the teacher could tell the administrator to F off because they are in the union. Furthest from the truth. All tenure does is give the teacher due process if a principal wants to fire them unjustly. So the government cant swoop in a fire experienced teachers simply because their salary in more than a rookie.

    The media makes it sound like most teachers were lazy and didnt deserve their position. The government came down hard and threatened to get rid of all the supposed "bad teachers." They came in and you know what they found? That most teachers do their jobs well. Well enough to labeled satisfactory. So now they have to come up with unjust evaluation system with unreachable goals. All to save money on the backs of children. If it werent for my union I'd be out of a job. I have lived it first hand. If you are interested read up on Mayor Bloomberg's ATR program and the underhanded ways he tried to trick excellent teachers into firing them. One of many under his watch.

    Very sad as to what our government has turned education into. Just a test factory for students making testing companies that are often tied to political leaders big bucks.
    There are plenty of bad cops, fireman and other public employees. Sometimes they are kept, sometimes not. But a teacher is different. Dealing with childre. I am sure you get I am not speaking about how effective a teacher is - some are great, some are faking it. Reviews SHOULD correct that. I mean abusive teachers, predatory teachers, immoral teachers. And how they are retained. Horrible. Unions support these bad teachers and the ineffective ones as well. Bad policy.
    You provide a personal point: that YOU would be without a job unless you had union backing. Why? You seem quite literate and frankly doubt you are abusive. I believe in fair play. Do well and behave - you're fine. Be absent, unprepared, fool around with the 14 year old. Gone.
    I do not believe the public sector should be different than the private. If so, I'm willing to listen. To me - a job is a job.

  13. #53
    This just in: Comrade Bloomberg is at it again.
    Now cigarettes may not be VISIBLE in stores. They must be out of sight.
    People of age can ask for them. He claims if they are visible it suggests it is "normal" activity.
    I do not smoke. Nobody in my family does. BUT, if someone of age wants to, enough. Not in public buildings, restaurants or hospitals - great.
    Shall NYC hide beer, wine and whiskey? How about body building vitamins? Birth control? Enough please, Mayor Communist. Your schools stink. Your roads are crumbling. Businesses are bailing. You are a dummy.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    That is the beauty of the American Constitution. It outlines the powers the government HAS not the ones it doesn't have. Everything else is supposed to be off limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    and get sued for discrimination in the process.

    I don't believe the Constitution protects fat people from discrimination.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I don't believe the Constitution protects fat people from discrimination.
    Not yet. BUT, some idiot liberal will claim they have a "disability" by being fat and hence subject to the famous Americans With Disabilities Act.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    PD, you are an educated poster and enjoy reading your views. There are no more "bad teachers" than there are bad cops, firemen, and sanitation workers. About 10 years ago elite politicians made it their witch hunt to vilify all civil servants in the midst of the recession. Teachers were on the front lines. Teachers were an easy target. Everyone has had one they didnt particularly like and they have summers off. (Shhhhh, dont tell the public that its just about the same days off for vacation as a cop or fireman.)

    The government convinced an out of work public that working civil servants were the blame of the recession and not big business and crooked politicians. The government came up with educational plans that included junk data and exaggerated stories of teachers doing nothing because they have tenure. They poisoned the public through the media that teachers had no accountability and if a supervisor came in the room the teacher could tell the administrator to F off because they are in the union. Furthest from the truth. All tenure does is give the teacher due process if a principal wants to fire them unjustly. So the government cant swoop in a fire experienced teachers simply because their salary in more than a rookie.

    The media makes it sound like most teachers were lazy and didnt deserve their position. The government came down hard and threatened to get rid of all the supposed "bad teachers." They came in and you know what they found? That most teachers do their jobs well. Well enough to labeled satisfactory. So now they have to come up with unjust evaluation system with unreachable goals. All to save money on the backs of children. If it werent for my union I'd be out of a job. I have lived it first hand. If you are interested read up on Mayor Bloomberg's ATR program and the underhanded ways he tried to trick excellent teachers into firing them. One of many under his watch.

    Very sad as to what our government has turned education into. Just a test factory for students making testing companies that are often tied to political leaders big bucks.


    This is such a pack of misinformation you should be ashamed. Nobody has accused public employee Unions of causing the last recession. What the recession pointed out is the absolutely fake numbers the Unions and politicians who were giving away public funds to them were using in calculating public employee pension returns.

    You're not responsible for the recession you're responsible for bankrupting local and State treasuries by using fake numbers in collision with politicians who you elected to office in conflict of interest negotiations.

    Nobody is going to accuse you of being the Serpico of the UFT.

  17. #57
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    40" waist would be a start.
    The govt. would then issue Moo-moo's.

    Problem fixed.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The govt. would then issue Moo-moo's.

    Problem fixed.
    The government is already providing motorized scooters to fat people. The next time you're in the supermarket and blocked by a fatty on a scotter reaching us with an extension pole to grab Count Chocula cereal feel proud that your tax dollars are helping.

  19. #59
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It depends on the gross weight of the family of four. If they weigh over a 1,000 pounds a decent owner of a pizza establishment wouldn't sell them the pizza.
    Pizza Nazi

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us