Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannebaum on NFL Network

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Tannenbaum had a brutal 2012 but his work from 1997-2011 makes him the best front-office executive we've ever had. In those 15 years, the Jets averaged 9.5 wins per season with a healthy quarterback, were in the playoff conversation every year, and were given a steady flood of fun free agents to get excited about each offseason.

It's funny, really. Rex Ryan has 2 bad years out of 4 and its "give him more time!" Mike Tannenbaum has 1 bad year out of 15 and its "good riddance!"

As a group, Jets fans are epically stupid.

SAR I
    hmm

Logically speaking, how could Rex Ryan have 2 bad years out of 4, and Tannenbaum have 1 bad year out of 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Yea it does . But if thats case add Joe Mcknight to the Pro Bowl list.

Only makes Tanny look better and further proves my point.
    So all you guys are telling me that Tanny was a great GM then why are we in the predicament that we are in now? Why is this team devoid of any talent (because according to several Jet fans he has drafted exceptionally well)? Why is this team cap strapped when Tanny was supposed to be a cap guy? Why in the last 2 years did Tanny avoid addressing the offensive line issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    hmm

Logically speaking, how could Rex Ryan have 2 bad years out of 4, and Tannenbaum have 1 bad year out of 15?
    Cant speak for SAR, who can?, but I'm guessing he is referring to how Rex lost the locker room in 2011..

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    +1

The hardest part about being a fan of this team is not the team itself but other fans...

you just have to LOL at the suggestion that a guy who held down a GM job for 7 years for an NFL franchise,has been in an actual live DraftRoom and and has actually made the final call on all personnel moves in that time for a team that went to 2 NFC Championship games in that time somehow doesn't know what he's doing and can't evaluate talent.....but that someone who probably sells insurance or wipes the floor at MacDonalds does
    Agreed, it's freaking embarrassing.

It's also embarrassing that members of the media have tried to make tannenbaum some type of punch line. Yeah, he didn't win the super bowl but the guy got pretty damn close. He made some mistakes but was overall very good.

And we also have to hear about what a supposed genius Bill Polian is when not only did he try to trade one of the best QB's of our generation, but he also failed to put ANY talent around that QB over SEVERAL years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    McKnight made it as a first alternate. Not quite the same..
    Does his all pro status in 2011 not count too ? Smh

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    So all you guys are telling me that Tanny was a great GM then why are we in the predicament that we are in now? Why is this team devoid of any talent (because according to several Jet fans he has drafted exceptionally well)? Why is this team cap strapped when Tanny was supposed to be a cap guy? Why in the last 2 years did Tanny avoid addressing the offensive line issues?
    Also please don't think I am supporting Rex Ryan because I am not. I wanted him out of here after last season. But the fact is that the defense is what gave us the success we had when we made it to the AFC championship. So he deserves the credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    +1

The hardest part about being a fan of this team is not the team itself but other fans...

you just have to LOL at the suggestion that a guy who held down a GM job for 7 years for an NFL franchise,has been in an actual live DraftRoom and and has actually made the final call on all personnel moves in that time for a team that went to 2 NFC Championship games in that time somehow doesn't know what he's doing and can't evaluate talent.....but that someone who probably sells insurance or wipes the floor at MacDonalds does
    +1!

All the "experts" here would **** their fruit of the looms if they were a GM and on the clock.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Does his all pro status in 2011 not count too ? Smh
    Your the one that left out S/T players in 2011 Joe was excellent.. To be fair he made first team with the writers but not the AP.. Otherwise it would have been on under his name..

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...M/McKnJo00.htm

All Pro
    He wasn't as bad as people make it seem.

This team went all in for 2010 and 2011.
    And made some bad deals. Which is easy to say in hindsight. But where the correct moves at the time.

Mangold,brick,Harris,Cromartie,Holmesall got new deals. Harris and Holmes havent performed since they got these deals is that really his fault? Holmes at the time was considered a Top 10 WR around the league.

Pace and Scott both where solid players but we had to overpay to get them. Hurt even more when bart scott took a pay cut to get his 2012 salary fully guaranteed .

The only deals that was really a head scratcher to me was the Sanchez Extension and the Tebow trade. These are the moves which got him fired imo.

But i never felt like matt millen 2.0 was running our team
    Last edited by Scoop24; 03-12-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Correct on Sanchez and Tebow. And tannenbaum essentially lost his job for those two moves.

It's pretty annoying how people blast the Santonio HOlmes deal when everyone in the media was going on about how he was a must keep for the Jets. Now he doesn't play great (Mostly due to the QB position) and we are idiots for doing what everyone else wanted us to do.

And made some bad deals. Which is easy to say in hindsight. But where the correct moves at the time.

Mangold,brick,Harris,Cromartie,Holmesall got new deals. Harris and Holmes havent performed since they got these deals is that really his fault? Holmes at the time was considered a Top 10 WR around the league.

Pace and Scott both where solid players but we had to overpay to get them. Hurt even more when bart scott took a pay cut to get his 2012 salary fully guaranteed .

The only deals that was really a head scratcher to me was the Sanchez Extension and the Tebow trade.
    Arguably the Holmes contract, many people thought the Jets overpaid for a guy who had 1 1,000 yard season. Tannenbaum didn't do as well in the past few years and that's why he lost his job. But to act like he wasn't a pretty good GM for the first half of his tenure is short-sighted.

He was very loose with draft picks, which was a problem.

The only deals that was really a head scratcher to me was the Sanchez Extension and the Tebow trade. These are the moves which got him fired imo.

But i never felt like matt millen 2.0 was running our team
    No I agree he is definitely not Matt Millen but at critical times I think he failed because of the lack of player evaluation. SAR posted that he is probably the best executive we had "in this organization" which is probably a true statement. But I just dont see the guy having one bad year in 17....its really hard just to mess up one year.

Some mentioned some of Tannebaum's good drafts. He did have good drafts but notice those drafts were a number of years ago and Mangini was the coach. I think he trusted Mangini and trusted him. I might agree that Tannebaum was successful and it might be the best run for the Jets (which isn't saying much). His strategy of trading has left us no depth, and his cap management and free agent signing skills were awful. He signed Holmes to a deal that we can't get out of, he extended and guaranteed money to a qb he wanted to get rid of last year, and has left us with a void of talent. Yes we had some success with him but I don't believe it was because of him. I think it was because of others in the room selecting.

Hall Of Fame
    He was awful during the combine but I think he has gotten better with experience. I think we are going to be seeing a lot of him and I give him a lot of credit for being self-deprecating and admitting where his failures where. He has been very open when discussing that.

I forget who made the point about Tanny but it was on NFLN and they said that he tried to bolster his own rep by re-signing the guys he drafted to make it look like he was drafting well. I guess they were referring to Harris and Sanchez. I think there is some truth to that. We saw him do that with other guys like Eric Smith and Wayne Hunter.

Tanny held on to some guys too long and overpaid others. I am glad we moved on. He might have been our best GM but when we are talking about the Jets, that isn't saying much. We simply do not have the lineage other teams have in the past 40 years or so.

[QUOTE=
    He was very loose with draft picks, which was a problem.[/QUOTE]

A big problem because thats where you build your depth.

DDNY said it well...he might of been one of the better execs in the Jets organization but in reality he was average at best.

Why would anyone listen to a hack that got fired for sucking #Herm, #Millen, #Tannenbaum, who speaks nothing but spin and everything other than what you really want to know F_ the Media

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    um the jets has one losign season 2012 since 2007.......Matt MIllen did much worse to the lions and he is treated like a king as an analyst....sheesh tanny made some bonehead moves but he did not destroy the jets....they won 6 games and should have won more....we have a new gm...new system and will get new players....ship can be turned around quick. some of you make it seem like the jets have sucked for years. sorry but i stillr ecall 1-16 and that was much worse than this current team......i don't get caught up in the media hype.

I really dont understand how ESPN hires him too. Its almost like its an anti jet move to spit in the face of us fans. The guy left a mess and showed zero knowledge as a player evaluator.

Nice job ESPN...aholes!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Correct on Sanchez and Tebow. And tannenbaum essentially lost his job for those two moves.

It's pretty annoying how people blast the Santonio HOlmes deal when everyone in the media was going on about how he was a must keep for the Jets. Now he doesn't play great (Mostly due to the QB position) and we are idiots for doing what everyone else wanted us to do.
    So true,

I am and always have been a Braylon fan but all we ever heard in 2010 was how much more highly regarded 'tone was around the league by GM's the expert analysts and fans.

The same is true of Harris who people ***** and moan about because he supposedly had a down year(amazing how losing drags everyone down with it)but 2 years ago you could barely move on here for posts demanding we lock up our core of young talent of which DH was a key element