Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jets Releasing Pouha

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the space we have now we should be able to re-sign a few integral parts of our D, Devito,Landry etc.

We should also be quite aggressive in bringing in some mid tier upgrades, get loaded with some picks for Revis and I'm gettin on the bandwagon for a decent competitive team next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Pettine's probably going to want him in Buffalo

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's reckless to be posting with a smiley face regardless of tone. You should know that as a 2003 senior.

thanks for the racism though.
    Canadians are a race??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick thoughts on the Jets' decision to release longtime NT Sione Po'uha:

1. It stinks. Po'uha is one of the most respected players in the locker room, and the team will dearly miss his leadership. This could have an impact on the young linemen, namely Quinton Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, who looks up to Po'uha. Clearly, the Jets expect Wilkerson to take on more of a leadership role in his third year, even if Mike DeVito returns.

2. Why did the Jets do this? It came down to the AIS principle that triggers these types of moves: Age. Injury. Salary. Po'uha is 34, coming off a season in which he struggled with a bad back. Plus, he was due to make $4.9 million -- which would have become guaranteed Thursday if he were still on the roster. The move creates $3.8 million in cap room.

3. The Jets can't possibly think Kenrick Ellis is ready to become a full-time player. The former third-round pick has been slow to develop and is simply too raw to anchor the defense. He played only 22 percent of the defensive snaps last season. This tells me the Jets will be in the market for a new nose tackle. The top interior lineman in the draft is Star Lotulelei from Utah (Po'uha's alma mater), who could be available with the ninth overall pick. This becomes a real possibility for the Jets.

4. Without Po'uha, the Jets have to increase their efforts to re-sign DeVito, another strong interior run defender. If they let him hit the open market, he could end up signing with the Bills, reunited with former Jets coordinator Mike Pettine. DeVito and Po'uha are close friends. In essence, the Jets are trying to re-sign DeVito with the money they saved from cutting Po'uha. What a business, huh?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...y-affect-draft

Why can't Ellis become a full time player?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Pettine's probably going to want him in Buffalo
    I doubt it

Buffalo's DL is already stacked.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we can't re-sign Devito, then it's time to jump on the Star Train at #9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Quick thoughts on the Jets' decision to release longtime NT Sione Po'uha:

1. It stinks. Po'uha is one of the most respected players in the locker room, and the team will dearly miss his leadership. This could have an impact on the young linemen, namely Quinton Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, who looks up to Po'uha. Clearly, the Jets expect Wilkerson to take on more of a leadership role in his third year, even if Mike DeVito returns.

2. Why did the Jets do this? It came down to the AIS principle that triggers these types of moves: Age. Injury. Salary. Po'uha is 34, coming off a season in which he struggled with a bad back. Plus, he was due to make $4.9 million -- which would have become guaranteed Thursday if he were still on the roster. The move creates $3.8 million in cap room.

3. The Jets can't possibly think Kenrick Ellis is ready to become a full-time player. The former third-round pick has been slow to develop and is simply too raw to anchor the defense. He played only 22 percent of the defensive snaps last season. This tells me the Jets will be in the market for a new nose tackle. The top interior lineman in the draft is Star Lotulelei from Utah (Po'uha's alma mater), who could be available with the ninth overall pick. This becomes a real possibility for the Jets.

4. Without Po'uha, the Jets have to increase their efforts to re-sign DeVito, another strong interior run defender. If they let him hit the open market, he could end up signing with the Bills, reunited with former Jets coordinator Mike Pettine. DeVito and Po'uha are close friends. In essence, the Jets are trying to re-sign DeVito with the money they saved from cutting Po'uha. What a business, huh?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...y-affect-draft

Why can't Ellis become a full time player?

b/c then they may have to write nice things about him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't close the door on Pouha returning at a lower salary if he cant find suitors in FA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

In a hyperbolic way, it's like if i started every post with "fck you"...

fck you... i like your mock draft. It makes sense.

fck you... dude, you have no idea! it was so fun.

fck you... Whatever man, Sanchez is awesome.

it makes every post tone-deaf. There's no other explanation necessary. You just have to understand.

That's not even close to analogous. So he's a friendly guy, maybe you should switch to decaf.

Also, I'd like to see this settled with e-thumb wrestling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I wouldn't close the door on Pouha returning at a lower salary if he cant find suitors in FA
    @RavensInsider: Hearing there's heavy interest in defensive lineman Mike DeVito with quick decision coming, per a league source.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the need for cutting Pouha, but I would really like to have either Devito or Pouha back next year. There's a lot to be said for consistency and leadership. Both those guys provide a veteran presence that the Dline will now be lacking.

I'm surprised that Pouha wouldn't take a pay cut.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @DWAZ73: btw, Sione Po'uha (released today) definitely won't be coming back to #Jets during free agency. He'll be playing elsewhere. Will be missed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved Pouha, but good move. Stopped producing after he got paid, and we have two young D-line men with great potential in Ellis and Harrison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you do me (and others I'm sure) a favor and get rid of the stupid smiley face?? Why would you put that before every post? Its punch-inspiring.

Can you imagine having a conversation with someone who wore a sh*t-eating grin before they opened their mouth, every time. Argument or no argument?

It'd be a shawn michaels kick to the face countdown.
    LOL. I am resisting the urge to put one right here ____

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one hurts. I love Pouha. Yes, he's been injured and less effective, but those first 3 years with Rex's defense he was a monster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    This one hurts. I love Pouha. Yes, he's been injured and less effective, but those first 3 years with Rex's defense he was a monster.
    Me too man. Big Bo was a beast in Green and White. I can't forget how he rose to the occassion when Kris Jenkins went down. He was a magnificent run stopper in his prime. With DeVito gone, I hope his back recovers and he can be re-signed by the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our run defense sucked ass last season, so good riddance to both of them. Not sure if that was due to our slow as **** LBs, Pouha's back or what but Mo was the only lineman last year who showed up consistently against the run. Ellis showed potential in the pre-season and in a couple games and Coples is going to be a beast when he hits his stride, I'd draft Star and get this line back to the way it was playing the first two years (minus the 1st half of the AFCG ).

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Nowthat DeVito has decided to sign in KC, I think they should have waited to cut 'Bo. Cutting Bo like that, and then DeVito signs elsewhere...I wish they could have signed mike before he saw how they treated Bo. Why KC? damn.