Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holmes agrees to restructure

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is what happens when you follow the plan Mr. T supposedly left behind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MMehtaNYDN: Santonio Holmes will, indeed, be back with the Jets in 2013, as @AdamSchefter reported. I'm told it is a new, re-worked deal. #nyj

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So not a restructure then, it's a completely new deal? I'd like to see that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    can we restructure, then cut him?
    That would be the greatest slam of all time.

Then have woody tweet a picture of himself doing the holmes' champagne thing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First we got, 7 pages of complaints about Holmes being a jerk for not being willing to restructure.
    Now, here comes 7 pages of complaints about the fact that the Jets restructured Holmes contract.

What a miserable fan base the Jets have. No matter the move, most of you will find a reason to be upset.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    That's usually the way it works.
    Yes, of course.

It's not even this deal I'm as worried about as much as the mentality of the front office. This says to me they're not looking at this year as a rebuild and continuing to think short term. That is more concerning than keeping Holmes on the team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There is noway Holmes gave back any money he was guaranteed. He prob gets even more money and gurantees this year to lessen the hit when hes cut next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    That would be the greatest slam of all time.

Then have woody tweet a picture of himself doing the holmes' champagne thing.
    LMAO! I'd give five years off my life to see that. Would take me at least a week to stop laughing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    this is what happens when you follow the plan Mr. T supposedly left behind.
    How do you know this wasn't part of the plan?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    There is noway Holmes gave back any money he was guaranteed. He prob gets even more money and gurantees this year to lessen the hit when hes cut next year.
    This would be the move I would prefer, but it's my guess it' the other way around. Gave up some money this year to guarantee more next year. Netting more guaranteed dollars.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Yes, of course.

It's not even this deal I'm as worried about as much as the mentality of the front office. This says to me they're not looking at this year as a rebuild and continuing to think short term. That is more concerning than keeping Holmes on the team.
    Its says nothing of the sort. I am really getting tired of typing this and just cannot understand why people do not comprehend the following 2 MAJOR points:

1. The Jets do not have a lot of cap space.
    2. They have to resign/replace about a dozen free agents and sign their draft picks.

This necessitates things like restructuring Holmes. Its not about saving $1.25 by cutting him. It's not about him being here another 2-3 years. It's about freeing up what is likely to be $3-4M so we can field a team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    Restructured, not a pay cut? If they moved guaranteed money to 2014, I'm gonna be PISSED!!!
    Restructures never do that.

When a player restructures, it's to lower the cap figure that year. It's done by converting base and bonus to all bonus paid that year in real money and then prorating it over the life of the extended contract. That allows for the player to be cut the next year. There may be a higher cap hit, but no guaranteed money.

Holmes saw the writing on the wall. With the new regime he couldn't guage whether Idzik would bluff if Holmes failed to re-negotiate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, of course.

I have been laughing at posters who insist we are in a rebuild mode. It just never happens in the NFL these days. The Colts did not plan on rebuilding, the year luck was available, they lost Manning and were forced into a terrible season.

As far as the long term effect of a Holmes Restructure can we wait a few hours to see the details. If they deferred 2 million of his guarantee to next year is that really a devestating blow? They already went out and signed a super cheap QB in Garard. Its not like they are giving up 1st round picks for Matt Flynn etc..

As i noted earlier, Jets fans are the whiniest collection of fans i have ever seen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its says nothing of the sort. I am really getting tired of typing this and just cannot understand why people do not comprehend the following 2 MAJOR points:

2. They have to resign/replace about a dozen free agents and sign their draft picks.

This necessitates things like restructuring Holmes. Its not about saving $1.25 by cutting him. It's not about him being here another 2-3 years. It's about freeing up what is likely to be $3-4M so we can field a team.
    So your point is, if Holmes doesn't restructure the Jets couldn't field a team?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    So not a restructure then, it's a completely new deal? I'd like to see that.
    Technically, all restructures are new deals. The old deal is torn up and the player agrees to a new deal. In order to have cap relief the team adds an additional year so they can spread out the money they restructured as a bonus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    First we got, 7 pages of complaints about Holmes being a jerk for not being willing to restructure.
    Now, here comes 7 pages of complaints about the fact that the Jets restructured Holmes contract.

What a miserable fan base the Jets have. No matter the move, most of you will find a reason to be upset.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It certainly makes it more difficult to sign the players they want that may be able to help long term versus signing guys just to fill up roster spots.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Jets never intended on tanking this season. Despite what posters like Joe Namath thought. They aren't going to blow up their 2014 cap space with stupid big name signings, but they will make a few small moves (like this restructure) to put a competitive team on the field and see how it goes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we have plenty of cap space to re-sign Revis