Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Holmes agrees to restructure

i don't think they change the guaranteed money but they spread it out more.

Freeing up space to trade Revis I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Freeing up space to trade Revis I guess.
    True that. People forget that we're on the hook for an additional 3M just by trading him and 9M by letting him walk. The latter is not happening.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    True that. People forget that we're on the hook for an additional 3M just by trading him and 9M by letting him walk. The latter is not happening.
    Per Jason's chart, it looks like the total salary cap hit for Revis this year , if we trade him before March 17th, is 12 million, and the Jets are finished paying Revis. If the Jets let Revis play out his contract the cap is is almost 8 million this year and 8 million next year.

For that extra 4million we get a pretty damn good corner back for 16 games ...but negligible compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Per Jason's chart, it looks like the total salary cap hit for Revis this year , if we trade him before March 17th, is 12 million, and the Jets are finished paying Revis. If the Jets let Revis play out his contract the cap is is almost 8 million this year and 8 million next year.

For that extra 4million we get a pretty damn good corner back for 16 games ...but negligible compensation.
    My whole point is we can sign a FA TE with that money or draft a TE with the 2nd rounder. IMO we get nothing back for a 2nd rounder. I keep saying it but I honestly don't see the value in trading him if that is what we get. So I guess it is a matter of Kelce or Keller. lol wow I feel sad right now.

I take back my anti Santonio comments from before...
    Cheers Santonio
    Last edited by Mohegangreen; 03-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    He knows better. New regime doesn't play. I like what Idzik has done so far.
    Holmes made the sensible move instead of playing risky hardball. Idzik is showing himself to be a very capable GM and could be just what is needed to balance out Rexy's circus atmoshphere and bring back a winning culture to the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Only $7.5 is guaranteed. That's why the Jets had leverage in getting him to either take a pay cut or restructure his deal more favorably for the Jets. They also have off-set language in his contract so if they released him a team certainly would have given him a 1 yr deal worth $3-$5 million which would then have subtracted from what the Jets cap hit would have been this year.
    Choon, that offset is useless, Holmes just would have signed a ,multi year contract for min the first year and have the 3-5mill guaranteed for the next year. Why would he ever structure a contract that did not pay him any real money? or he would have took it as a SB and the jets would only have gotten a per year proportion.

I think the jets gave him more money- my guess is that the jets converted 9 mill of his salary to a SB and spread it out over the remainder of his contract, this makes sense as the rumor is that the jets extended his contract by 2 more years. Holmes get 1.5 more million guaranteed in his pocket over the previous 7.5m and the jets get about 7 mill more in cap room this year. Pretty much the scenario that Jason proposed but did not want the jets to do.
    Last edited by patman; 03-12-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I have been laughing at posters who insist we are in a rebuild mode. It just never happens in the NFL these days. The Colts did not plan on rebuilding, the year luck was available, they lost Manning and were forced into a terrible season.

As far as the long term effect of a Holmes Restructure can we wait a few hours to see the details. If they deferred 2 million of his guarantee to next year is that really a devestating blow? They already went out and signed a super cheap QB in Garard. Its not like they are giving up 1st round picks for Matt Flynn etc..

As i noted earlier, Jets fans are the whiniest collection of fans i have ever seen.
    Amen Brother.

Amen!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    No reason Holmes couldn't have a DeShawn Jackson like role in MM's offense.

Well....no reason other than there's no one (yet) who can get him the ball....
    ...and the fact that Jackson is an explosive, dynamic and elusive while Holmes is not.

Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    ...and the fact that Jackson is an explosive, dynamic and elusive while Holmes is not.
    Have you seen Jackson play in the last 2 years. Because no one in Philly has.

@nyjetscap: As expected Santonio Holmes base salary has been reduced to $7.5 million equaling his guarantee #Jets #nyj

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Have you seen Jackson play in the last 2 years. Because no one in Philly has.
    If you were basing your comparison on the last 2 years, then Holmes could be our Jackson. Holmes has been no where to be found as well recently.