Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Dont forget that if he does sign with Tampa, there is no state income tax.

When you are looking at $16 million a year, playing 8 games in Fla vs NY is about an extra $500K a year.

At this point, Denver is out and I believe so is Atlanta.

I think we still hold firm with the Bucs and force the pick in 2013. The NFL is just too difficult to predict, especially trying to figure out what the 2014 draft will look like before we even have the 2013.

The Great Teddy Bridgewater, who no one on this board had heard of 8 months ago, is one bad year/injury away from going back to school leaving us on the outside looking in for a QB in 2014.

Take the pick now and lets get the rebuild process going.
    No deal between Brent Grimes, Falcons

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rimes-falcons/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Agreed, next year's draft class may implode during the upcoming season but there are possibilities of a franchise QB ... nothings a certainty but this years draftable QB's do not fill anyone with hope.
    I beg to differ. Good QBs are developed from prospects who possess the proper tools. Smith, Barkley, Glennon, Bray, Dysert, Tuel and Renfree all have the proper tools. Nassib and Wilson have the makeup to be quality Qbs at the next level.

All these players need to find the right fit and even then it's up to them if they pan out. If the Bills draft Barkley, he probably fails, but with the cardinals he probably flourishes. It's all about the fitand the players willingness to work at his trade.

In this draft for the Jets i like 5 guys for the Jets. Glennon and Bray have the big arms and the size to throw the football through the North East winter cold. Dysert, Renfree and Tuel have the moxie to orchestrate the WCO the way Chad Pennington did with slightly better arm strength.

I would love to draft 2 of these 5 QBs from the above list. The wonderfull part is these guys all range from the late 1st to free agent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I beg to differ. Good QBs are developed from prospects who possess the proper tools. Smith, Barkley, Glennon, Bray, Dysert, Tuel and Renfree all have the proper tools. Nassib and Wilson have the makeup to be quality Qbs at the next level.

All these players need to find the right fit and even then it's up to them if they pan out. If the Bills draft Barkley, he probably fails, but with the cardinals he probably flourishes. It's all about the fitand the players willingness to work at his trade.

In this draft for the Jets i like 5 guys for the Jets. Glennon and Bray have the big arms and the size to throw the football through the North East winter cold. Dysert, Renfree and Tuel have the moxie to orchestrate the WCO the way Chad Pennington did with slightly better arm strength.

I would love to draft 2 of these 5 QBs from the above list. The wonderfull part is these guys all range from the late 1st to free agent.
    Well said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post.

Also, dont forget a couple things about nassib.

Has the largest hands in the draft at 10 1/8 - excellent attribute for cold weather.

Played in some cold weather big east games, including that slog-fest of a bowl game where they beat geno.

Athletic build that should be able to handle a pounding.

Enough college starts/passes to be a day 1 starter

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonColeYahoo: That crashing sound you hear is the bottom dropping out of the cornerback market. It's UGLY.
    Is this a good thing for the Jets? Maybe if Revis' team start to see what the market is for high end CB's and that he likely won't get what he is demanding, maybe the Jets can resign him at a more reasonable price.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets, Bucs in stare down over Revis

Updated: March 14, 2013, 9:00 AM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are refusing to surrender their 2013 first-round draft pick (13th overall) to acquire New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

The Bucs, however, might be willing to trade their first-rounder in 2014, the report said.

Jets general manager John Idzik is willing to wait until next month's draft, perhaps longer, before pulling the trigger on a Revis deal, sources said. But a soft deadline is approaching. If Revis is on the Jets' roster on Saturday, he earns a $1 million roster bonus.

"One million is a pittance in the big picture when you're talking about a player of Revis' stature and the compensation he could bring," a league source said Wednesday. "Don't be foolish with something like that."

The Jets could be perceived as cheap if they accept a less-than-market deal to save the $1 million bonus.

Revis is coming off ACL surgery, but he's still regarded as the best cornerback in the league. The Jets would be subject to intense criticism if they accept anything less than a first-round pick. They might have a better chance if they wait.

At the same time, owner Woody Johnson has told confidantes he doesn't want to give Revis another huge contract. Revis is due $6 million in the final season of a four-year, $46 million deal -- the product of a five-week holdout in 2010. He also staged a holdout as a rookie in 2007.

"Woody's like, 'He has to go; we need to trade him,'" another league source said. "There was no optimism that he'd ever get another deal done with [those agents]."

Revis is looking for a long-term extension that would pay him about $16 million per year. The Jets created salary-cap room in recent days -- they're roughly $15 million under the cap -- but don't appear motivated to extend Revis.

It's unlikely Revis would be traded without a new contract in place. No team would want to give up significant compensation for the possibility of a one-year rental. A clause in his contract prohibits his team from using the franchise tag on him, meaning he could bolt as an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

Revis' agents haven't received permission to negotiate a deal with the Bucs, sources said, but one source speculated the parameters of a new contract are already in place.

Publicly, the Bucs haven't denied interest in Revis.

"Everything's a possibility, but we're not allowed to talk about players under contract with other teams," coach Greg Schiano told the NFL Network at a news conference to introduce new safety Dashon Goldson.

"We're trying to get better, and anybody that can help us do that, they're definitely on our radar."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...rk-jets-report

Great point..So a trade by 03/17 isn't necessary...

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articl...-timeline.html

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I always enjoy your draft input Tin' so let's see how it plays out. Barkley to me is a likely Bust ... I'm sorry, I just don't like what I see from him and it's not because he goes to USC. Geno Smith has so many great qualities you look for in a quality NFL starter but you wonder about his performance falling off in the latter half of this year. Will coaching and talent elevate him to the next level ? Maybe.

Glennon ... the big arm agreed but is limited athletically and has questionable decision making, he doesn't seem to have that awareness that makes good quarterbacks special ... I don't think he makes it as a premier qb ... an average starter or below average starter yes. I don't want him on the Jets.

Bray ... tremendous passer, big arm a little inconsistent but to me the worrying intangible about Bray is that he appears to have a bit of that Jay Cutler personality , not a leader .. I am not sure he is going to grow into the job ... Granted the potential is there.

I honestly don't know enough about Dysert or Tuel ... I've liked what I have seen of Renfree but too many interceptions, that really worries me.

There is a lot of love for Nassib, I read the gushing report in the National Football Post on him but what I have seen of his arm ... I think that will limit his effectiveness at the next level. He should have a starter's career in the NFL but I don't see building a team around him ... granted a cannon arm does not a quarterback make (Browning Nagle) but if you aspire to be upper echelon, it really helps.

Tyler Wilson athletically limited, but seen as a leader - great moxy , I'm not sure if that is enough.

I would take a chance on a QB in this draft but not in the first two rounds, I would prefer to take a risk in the third round or beyond. Geno will not make it that far, if Bray falls to the third round I would say yes, he's worth the risk.
    Nassib with all the hype is not going to fall to the fourth but that is the earliest I would take him.

I am all for taking a risk with reclamation projects even a Peter Lalich but I think the first two rounds should be spent on Oline and a pass-rusher.
    Sanchez looked almost good enough when he had a rock-star oline.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deal gets done when you least expect it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets, Bucs in stare down over Revis

Great point..So a trade by 03/17 isn't necessary...

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2013_Articl...-timeline.html
    Agreed Cmart, I always felt that if the Jets have to pay Revis's offseason bonus's even his later ones, ... it's worth it, if it translates to better picks or Revis signing an extension with the Jets before the start of the season (I know, flying pigs etc.)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets, Bucs in stare down over Revis...

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are refusing to surrender their 2013 first-round draft pick (13th overall) to acquire New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

The Bucs, however, might be willing to trade their first-rounder in 2014, the report said.
    There is no one at 13 that they can draft that would be better than Revis. They are playing hard ball because they feel we are in a weak position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    There is no one at 13 that they can draft that would be better than Revis. They are playing hard ball because they feel we are in a weak position.
    LOL!!!!!

Revis was the #14 pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I always enjoy your draft input Tin' so let's see how it plays out. Barkley to me is a likely Bust ... I'm sorry, I just don't like what I see from him and it's not because he goes to USC. Geno Smith has so many great qualities you look for in a quality NFL starter but you wonder about his performance falling off in the latter half of this year. Will coaching and talent elevate him to the next level ? Maybe.

Glennon ... the big arm agreed but is limited athletically and has questionable decision making, he doesn't seem to have that awareness that makes good quarterbacks special ... I don't think he makes it as a premier qb ... an average starter or below average starter yes. I don't want him on the Jets.

Bray ... tremendous passer, big arm a little inconsistent but to me the worrying intangible about Bray is that he appears to have a bit of that Jay Cutler personality , not a leader .. I am not sure he is going to grow into the job ... Granted the potential is there.

I honestly don't know enough about Dysert or Tuel ... I've liked what I have seen of Renfree but too many interceptions, that really worries me.

There is a lot of love for Nassib, I read the gushing report in the National Football Post on him but what I have seen of his arm ... I think that will limit his effectiveness at the next level. He should have a starter's career in the NFL but I don't see building a team around him ... granted a cannon arm does not a quarterback make (Browning Nagle) but if you aspire to be upper echelon, it really helps.

Tyler Wilson athletically limited, but seen as a leader - great moxy , I'm not sure if that is enough.

I would take a chance on a QB in this draft but not in the first two rounds, I would prefer to take a risk in the third round or beyond. Geno will not make it that far, if Bray falls to the third round I would say yes, he's worth the risk.
    Nassib with all the hype is not going to fall to the fourth but that is the earliest I would take him.

I am all for taking a risk with reclamation projects even a Peter Lalich but I think the first two rounds should be spent on Oline and a pass-rusher.
    Sanchez looked almost good enough when he had a rock-star oline.
    I absolutely love Tyler Bray in the 3rd, so much so that i would be willing to take him with a late 2nd round pick. I love Dysert in the late 3rd early 4th and Renfee and Tuel in the late 6th early 7th.

Tuel has the tools but couldn't stay on the field since he was always injured.

Dysert has something that i couldn't grasp until Tony pointed it out. He said he understands the position the way Chad pennington did. That was all i needed to hear and it clicked.

Renfree has what Tuel and Dysert have in 1 package. His INTs are a product of the team around him. His OL almost cost him his career and he still led Duke to a Bowl game the 1st time since Tim Couch. In the right situation with the right OC he will be special.

By the way, all these guys need to sit for a yr or so and learn. I don't think any of em are ready to start from day 1 but the most prepared is Renfree.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Darrelle Revis will not play out the 2013 season with the Jets and become an unrestricted free agent. That is not going to happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darrelle Revis will not play out the 2013 season with the Jets and become an unrestricted free agent. That is not going to happen.
    I still can't stand Mehta at this point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not even sure how he can make that statement? Revis can't hold out and, if not traded, needs to play to prove he's recovered. So, what's the point of this tweet?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!!!!!

Revis was the #14 pick.
    The player taken with the 13th pick has maybe a 1 in 100 chance of being as good as Revis. Do you also point to the fact that Tom Brady was a 6th round pick to justify trading Revis for a 6th rounder straight up?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Nnamdi supposedly going to SF, is there any other market for Revis? Are the Jets just trying to get TB to bid against themselves?

Jets are going to end up shipping Revis for a 2014 1st to try and save face. What a ****ing disaster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Im not even sure how he can make that statement? Revis can't hold out and, if not traded, needs to play to prove he's recovered. So, what's the point of this tweet?
    What he's saying is Revis will either be traded before the draft, during the draft or at the trade deadline during the season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    With Nnamdi supposedly going to SF, is there any other market for Revis? Are the Jets just trying to get TB to bid against themselves?

Jets are going to end up shipping Revis for a 2014 1st to try and save face. What a ****ing disaster.
    Nobody is going to need to save face, except the reporters like Mehta claiming for the last week that a Revis deal was imminent. Jets are under no obligation whatsoever to trade him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    Is this a good thing for the Jets? Maybe if Revis' team start to see what the market is for high end CB's and that he likely won't get what he is demanding, maybe the Jets can resign him at a more reasonable price.
    +1000000000000000000