Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    One of the only fans to finally get why Revis must go. You don't tie up QB money in a CB.
    One of the only fan that gets it? That'd practically the only argument that gets made around here. The unfortunate part of the argument, is that most people use it as some sort of excuse or rationlization as Revis keeping the Jets from having a QB worth that mega contract or other prized offensive possessions, and that's simply not true.

This potential trade is not about his future salary cap number or the inability to build a team with him making that money. The potential trade is about him continually putting his own interests in front of the best interests of his team and the Jets organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    It's all Rex' fault...I know, blah blah blah
    Whats wrong with you? The first two winning seasons prove nothing, meant nothing and should be forgotten.

The last two mean everything and define the jump ship, I have to blame someone guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Whats wrong with you? The first two winning seasons prove nothing, meant nothing and should be forgotten.

The last two mean everything and define the jump ship, I have to blame someone guys.
    You and I are on the same page brother

I think we should only grade Rex on the season where his QB came unglued, his best WR broke his foot, and the best CB in the league blew out his ACL

The fact that he had this team of misfits in playoff contention until week 15 is meaningless

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetitude View Post
    I think he will only go if the Jets get blown away by an offer, or that the compensation is very good. They aren't trading him for peanuts.

I also think the Jets are working to establish the market for Revis while holding on to all the cards.

In turn, they get to evaluate Revis' value, while also now working FA to figure out what the financial market will be for Revis.

Overall, I truly think the Jets are neither committed to trading, him, or keeping him, but will do either, whichever gives the Jets the upper hand.

Establish the market, show Revis he isn't worth his asking price, and give him a big extension that is fair market value and still protects the team given his injury status, or be blown away by an offer that they can't refuse, as FA has now started, and the DB market is completely held up by Revis' situation. Teams are going to start getting desperate, and that is what the Jets are doing, playing the FA game the right way, letting the market come to them.

Even funnier, are the fans that complained about how the Jets had too many leaks, bought into the media rhetoric of the "circus," and now, the Jets locked their entire operation down, are letting nothing out, and those same fans AND people in the media are killing the Jets for being quiet.

So funny
    Agreed on all fronts. Idzik is playing this perfectly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    One of the only fan that gets it? That'd practically the only argument that gets made around here. The unfortunate part of the argument, is that most people use it as some sort of excuse or rationlization as Revis keeping the Jets from having a QB worth that mega contract or other prized offensive possessions, and that's simply not true.

This potential trade is not about his future salary cap number or the inability to build a team with him making that money. The potential trade is about him continually putting his own interests in front of the best interests of his team and the Jets organization.

Revis on his best day is still only taking away one player. On their best days, guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning tear even the best of defenses a new a$$hole. Both of those guys can put up 400-500 yards and 5-6 TD's any given Sunday.

Can Revis do that? Hell no he can't.

We've bent over backwards for this dick for far too long. Have given into his every demand and have made him the highest paid DB in league history. But clearly that's not enough for Revis.

I'm thrilled that Idzik and especially Woody are showing some balls and saying enough is enough.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How is what they are doing is showing showing Revis what he is worth, when he can't even run?

Do you think that Revis thinks his value will be more when he can put a helmet on this summer than what is is now when he can't even run in a straight line for another month? Just because a team will only offer him something less before he can work out and is tied to the jets and would require pick compensation vs what his worth would be next off season when the team won't have to offer compensation and he is one year removed from his injury.
    This isn't about what Revis thinks

It's about what the Jets are doing in managing Revis' situation.

Jets aren't going to pay his asking price, but they aren't completely ignoring any opportunity to extend him at a deal that is fair market value and what they deem to be able to offer him. At the same time, the Jets are creating a market for him, and giving themselves an opportunity to obtain compensation they feel is adequate for a player of Revis' caliber, they will trade him if they get an offer they can't refuse.

Who cares about next off-season, this is about this off-season and the start of the busiest time of the year for current NFL players, and where opportunities to sign or trade players happens, and teams enter the first phase of roster turnover, and when roster changes are the most volatile.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You and I are on the same page brother

I think we should only grade Rex on the season where his QB came unglued, his best WR broke his foot, and the best CB in the league blew out his ACL

The fact that he had this team of misfits in playoff contention until week 15 is meaningless
    You know it/

I look at it this way. If you can take a team with a 1st year QB of little talent and then with that same QB in his only 2nd year to back to back AFCCGs, on the road each week, underdogs every step of the way you've proven that you can coach.

The team completely striped of talent didn't win. Shocking and unexpected. Who would have won last season?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Just terrible exchange of franchise value if true.

Izzy will be vilified forever in jets shame if that deal happens.
    I wouldn't read into the picks being floated to the media.

So far we've seen "a good offer from a team" and this news being floated. With as close to the vest as the Jets have played this pre-season so far, I'd assume this is misinformation.

The Jets might just be working to establish a "floor" for offers.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And I'll say it loud and clear. Revis has nothing to do with the fact that Tanny screwed the O and didn't put talent there. Or that he hung his star to Sanchez. Or overpaid whichever old or broken down player he did bring in.

Because a Tampa or especially a 49r team with Revis and their O will look mighty nice to people in the stands.

While paying his contract.
    No sh*t Revis isn't responsible for the goofy contracts that Tanny handed out.

But guess what? We have to live with the mess that Tanny made.

And the best way to start cleaning up that mess is to ship the greedy ass CB who wants to be paid like a HOF QB to the highest bidder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't about what Revis thinks

It's about what the Jets are doing in managing Revis' situation.

Jets aren't going to pay his asking price, but they aren't completely ignoring any opportunity to extend him at a deal that is fair market value and what they deem to be able to offer him. At the same time, the Jets are creating a market for him, and giving themselves an opportunity to obtain compensation they feel is adequate for a player of Revis' caliber, they will trade him if they get an offer they can't refuse.

Who cares about next off-season, this is about this off-season and the start of the busiest time of the year for current NFL players, and where opportunities to sign or trade players happens, and teams enter the first phase of roster turnover, and when roster changes are the most volatile.
    You stated in post 210,

"Establish the market, show Revis he isn't worth his asking price, and give him a big extension that is fair market value and still protects the team given his injury status, or be blown away by an offer that they can't refuse.'

How does this jive with it not being what Revis thinks if your using this to show him what his value is?

The jets are not creating a market for him, how can that even be done? The only thing that creates a market for the best CB in football is him being the best cb in football. There is nothing to create. This is not some end of the bench guy that they gave some game minutes to as a showcase.

Who cares about next offseason- Revis does- it is when he is a FA and since he is the subject of the trade and his willingness to extend or refuse to extend with a team is directly proportional to the amount of compensation that the jets can expect, i am sure the jets are also.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You stated in post 210,

"Establish the market, show Revis he isn't worth his asking price, and give him a big extension that is fair market value and still protects the team given his injury status, or be blown away by an offer that they can't refuse.'

How does this jive with it not being what Revis thinks if your using this to show him what his value is?

The jets are not creating a market for him, how can that even be done? The only thing that creates a market for the best CB in football is him being the best cb in football. There is nothing to create. This is not some end of the bench guy that they gave some game minutes to as a showcase.

Who cares about next offseason- Revis does- it is when he is a FA and since he is the subject of the trade and his willingness to extend or refuse to extend with a team is directly proportional to the amount of compensation that the jets can expect, i am sure the jets are also.
    Again with you making stuff up and throwing salt on every post that suggests the Jets are doing something that benefits them, what is it with you?

The Jets ARE creating a market, they are also allowing that market to be created for them with the patience they are showing and the fact that the entire Revis situation has had an impact throughout the NFL entering today's start to the FA season. We are reading quotes from other NFL GM's like "it's a hot mess," because teams are frustrated, the lack of resolution to Revis' status is creating a bottleneck of player movement as some teams have targeted Revis. As the Jets remain patient, teams will begin to elevate their urgency and presumably their willingness to improve compensation offers. This is all favorable for the Jets.

Again, I'm not convinced the Jets have committed to the future of Revis under either scenario of keeping him or moving him, but are looking to create a situation that gives them the upper hand. Either trade him because an offer is too good to turn down, or work to establish his market value with the hope that Revis is more willing to sign a contract at a more reasonable market level. The Jets are looking to do what is best for them, leveraging the FA market that is now open, and as teams sign players, Revis' value will only increase to teams targeting CB's in FA.

Revis' status next season does not matter. Revis wants an extension now, and before he puts his career back on the line this next season without that extension, and coming off of an injury. The Jets don't have to move him, they could pay him and rent him for another year, and consider putting an extension on the back burner for another year, and this is where the Jets have leverage, they know Revis wants an extension now, and are playing with Revis at his own game. Leverage and risk goes both ways.

This isn't hard to understand, but for whatever reason, you refuse to accept any scenario that gives the Jets that leverage, it reeks of bias, and considering you're a Patriot fan who appears to have some sort of obsession posting all day long on a Jets board, your posts become annoying if not nave.
    Last edited by Jetitude; 03-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think the Jets may re-sign Revis in the end if they aren't blown away with an offer.....They could also hang on to him and either resign or trade him this summer or in the beginning of next season before the deadline

Revis's people will definitely know what other teams were/are willing to pay him just from these trade talks....

Revis would also love to get a fat new contract from anyone, including the Jets

No reason to make any move now, unless of course they are blown away with an offer

Jets hold all the cards if they play it right, no matter what the Jets haters and national media would like you to believe

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patman just said that the jets had 35 players on the current roster...that alone pretty much sums up his opinion.

Again with you making stuff up and throwing salt on every post that suggests the Jets are doing something that benefits them, what is it with you?

The Jets ARE creating a market, they are also allowing that market to be created for them with the patience they are showing and the fact that the entire Revis situation has had an impact throughout the NFL entering today's start to the FA season. We are reading quotes from other NFL GM's like "it's a hot mess," because teams are frustrated because Revis is creating a bottleneck of player movement as some teams have targeted Revis, and as the Jets remain patient, teams will in all likely hood increase their urgency. This is all favorable for the Jets.

Again, I'm not convinced the Jets have committed to the future of Revis, whether that is retaining him and giving him an extension, or trading him. They are creating the market, and quite probably hoping that the market helps to establish his monetary value, to lower Revis' expectations of his own worth with a possible intent to resign him.

And, they are also looking to obtain the best possible offer, leveraging the FA market that is now open, and as teams sign players, Revis' value will only increase to teams targeting CB's in FA.

Revis' status next season does not matter. Revis wants an extension now, and before he puts his career back on the line this next season without that extension, and coming off of an injury. The Jets don't have to move him, they could pay him and rent him for another year, and consider putting an extension on the back burner for another year, and this is where the Jets have leverage, they know this as well, and are playing with Revis at his own game. Leverage and risk goes both ways.

This isn't hard to understand, but for whatever reason, you refuse to accept any scenario that gives the Jets that leverage, it reeks of bias, and considering you're a Patriot fan who appears to have some sort of obsession posting all day long on a Jets board, your posts become annoying if not nave.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    2 and a 4? No deal, go pound sand. At that price we keep him for the year and have the best CB duo in the league. there has to be a line in the sand that you draw and a 2 and 4 is just not enough.
    So we have the best CB duo in the league and go 3-13, then get a 3rd rounder when he walks (which he will after all this speculation)?

What seems better?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm entertained by wins

I could give a rats a$$ if we have Drew Brees slinigng it for 5500 yards

I want wins, and with Rex we win ugly

I am thoroughly entertained winning ugly
    Over the last two years, Wrecks has lost ugly more than he has won ugly by going 14-18, including 1-11 against teams with winning records.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Patman just said that the jets had 35 players on the current roster...that alone pretty much sums up his opinion.
    Other than the Jets 8 drafts picks, where are they going to find the other 10 players to fill out the roster?

Arean Football League, CFL or McDonalds?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Over the last two years, Wrecks has lost ugly more than he has won ugly by going 14-18, including 1-11 against teams with winning records.
    I'd like to see what BB's pats would do with Sanchez as their starting QB over that same time period...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I want him gone as much as anyone, part of the "too much $ for a CB" crowd. And I agree he's a crap teammate and a crap person.

Despite all of that, he is without question to me to best Jet to ever wear the uniform. On the field, where it matters, he was more dominant than anyone to ever play here. No one else in this franchise is in the conversation for the greatest player to ever play his position. No one comes close. No, not even Namath.

Sure, I have more favorite all time Jets, but no one matches him as a player in this franchise. Take the personality out of the equation just as much as you would have if he had led us to a couple of championships. Just like Ravens fans do with Ray Lewis, Pats fans do with Belichick, and Giants fans do with LT.
    Id like to counter the "too much to pay a CB argument for a second"

The premium positions to pay are QB, passrusher and LT - but guess what, we dont have to pay those positions right now.

QB - even if we draft the next aaron rogers, he wont be paid franchise QB money for 5 years.

Passrusher - Wilk and coples arent FA for 3-4 years respectively and if we draft aldon smith, he has 5 years til he needs to be paid.

LT - Brick is on a very favorable contract, and has proven to be a durable player.

Plus, mangold is locked up, holmes and harris can come off the books soon, and we have all our picks in 2013 and 2014 right now.

So i ask, if we dont pay revis, what do we do in 2014????? Have a ton of cap space so we can run around and overpay the jared cooks and greg jennings of the world?

Look around at the successful teams - and please tell me who has struck gold signing an UFA? The really good organizations resign their homegrown players - they know them better, know their effort, their personal lives everything.

It is simply too hard to guage a player well enough to pay him a huge contract as an UFA when you dont know them.

So again - if we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Other than the Jets 8 drafts picks, where are they going to find the other 10 players to fill out the roster?

Arean Football League, CFL or McDonalds?
    Idk where you trolls keep coming up with the statement that the Jets only have 35 players on their roster. They have 60 players signed right now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Id like to counter the "too much to pay a CB argument for a second"

The premium positions to pay are QB, passrusher and LT - but guess what, we dont have to pay those positions right now.

QB - even if we draft the next aaron rogers, he wont be paid franchise QB money for 5 years.

Passrusher - Wilk and coples arent FA for 3-4 years respectively and if we draft aldon smith, he has 5 years til he needs to be paid.

LT - Brick is on a very favorable contract, and has proven to be a durable player.

Plus, mangold is locked up, holmes and harris can come off the books soon, and we have all our picks in 2013 and 2014 right now.

So i ask, if we dont pay revis, what do we do in 2014????? Have a ton of cap space so we can run around and overpay the jared cooks and greg jennings of the world?

Look around at the successful teams - and please tell me who has struck gold signing an UFA? The really good organizations resign their homegrown players - they know them better, know their effort, their personal lives everything.

It is simply too hard to guage a player well enough to pay him a huge contract as an UFA when you dont know them.

So again - if we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?
    "If we don't pay Revis who are we gonna pay" - decent point. The Jets are establishing what other teams are willing to pay Revis - contract wise and then the Jets can make their decision on wether they want to pay him that much or trade him away. If teams will only pay him 12 mil then his agents will be well aware and maybe he stays with the Jets. I don't mind the Jets keeping Revis with a fair deal but they cant resign him at 16 million per. So it appears to me that the Jets are basically making Revis a free agent right now and seeing what contracts teams will pay him so that they can make an informed decision and also Revis camp can also make an informed decision.