Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I think you're on the right track, but the Bucs would probably want the conditions of the 2nd pick to include the ability to sign Revis. How about:

The 4th rounder escalates 1 round if Revis plays > 75% of the defensive plays

Plus it escalates 2 rounds if Revis is on the Bucs roster on April 1st, 2014
    I wouldn't do that roster aspect of it. That's how Vilma and the Saints screwed us out of a draft pick. They signed him after the conditional date I believe. Something like that.

Bucs losing interest in Revis

A week ago, the Jets and the Buccaneers stood relatively close to a trade that would have sent cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa. Now, the Bucs are close to losing interest.

The biggest takeaway from our first full day at the league meetings in Phoenix is that, with the Jets and Buccaneers taking strong opposing positions as to the trade value of one of the best defensive players in football, the Buccaneers are close to moving on. The belief is that the Jets want a package headlined by a first-round pick, and that the Buccaneers are willing to part with, at most, a 2014 first-round selection.

The Plan B remains Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes, who has drawn interest from the Dolphins and the Browns. The Bucs and Grimes are, we’re told, talking — and if/when the Buccaneers land the Falcons’ 2012 franchise player, the Bucs will be out of the Revis business.

Given the depressed cornerback market in free agency, the Jets may have a hard time finding another team willing to give up a 2013 first-round selection and pay Revis. At some point, the best move for Revis will be to spend the coming season showing that he is healthy, and hitting the free-agency market in 2014.

Many presume that the Jets would receive in 2015 a third-round compensatory selection for losing Revis next year. As Adam Schefter of ESPN points out, however, the Chargers got nothing for losing receiver Vincent Jackson in 2012. That’s because compensatory picks flow from net free-agency losses and signings. If the Jets sign enough other players in 2014, they’ll lose their shot at an extra pick at the bottom of round three the next year if/when Revis signs elsewhere.

More importantly, if they don’t trade Revis to a team that signs him to a long-term deal, the Jets could see him join the Patriots, Dolphins, or Bills. Or the Giants.
    Welp....

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Welp....
    More posturing. Negotiation through media.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I wouldn't do that roster aspect of it. That's how Vilma and the Saints screwed us out of a draft pick. They signed him after the conditional date I believe. Something like that.
    No they just released him, and then re signed him(Thanks Tanny). I doubt anyone would risk doing that with Revis, but you would have change the details to include that possibility.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    Do you guys get the feeling the Jets would settle for just the 13th pick from Tampa this year?

I hope not Id be pretty disappointed if that's all we could muster for Revis.
    You obviously want to get as much as you can, but I wouldn't be upset if this is what we got. It's nice having a marquis player, but I'd rather win. That being said, I never would have insisted on this years pick, but would have fought for a 2, or a 3 to be thrown in. Even if it was next years 2, or 3. Obviously I want ammo to trade up in next years draft, and I don't think Tampa will be any better next year. I don't think Revis will help them in the W column, any more than he'll help us. You need the QB, and/or pass rush to win. On that note, I wonder how much GMs think about trading their picks with other teams. It would take a lot of balls, but you would think someone would do it. I mean if you think your team will do better than another team, just swap your picks and put your money where your mouth is. I know it's not Madden, and one of the two GMs would probably lose their job over it I guess. Maybe just one pick then.

I still think we won't get a 1st for Revis .. I think the best we can settle for is a 2nd ... if its a 2nd and 4th THIS year I'd do it ... 1st and 5th is what I'd shoot for first and create a fake hype publicly that Revis is close to being traded to an unnamed team and see if Tampa bites. If they don;t ... 2nd and 4th THIS year and call it a day. The very best I think we can get for Revis if we're lucky is a 3rd this year and 1st next year

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I'd say it's time to get rid of the breaking news part of this thread, after almost 500 posts and no action by Tampa, they can add breaking news when something actually happens!

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    More posturing. Negotiation through media.
    Not more posturing....it's more media BS.

The Bucs GM comes out last night and says that they have not ruled out giving up the 13th pic in this years draft....and Mike Florio interprets that as meaning they're losing interest.

More Jets hating media BS to make them look bad.

On a similar note....I would never condition any conditional pick in a trade package based upon Revis being an "All-Pro". The same Jet hating media members are the ones that vote for the All-Pro team.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    If we don't get a 1st i'd hold Revis and let him play...he would be playing his ass off....he can then be trade bait during the 2013 season...I feel the the leverage is def in the Jets corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    If we don't get a 1st i'd hold Revis and let him play...he would be playing his ass off....he can then be trade bait during the 2013 season...I feel the the leverage is def in the Jets corner.
    Understand the line of thinking, but there hasn't been a trade of a marquee player since the 80s. I think it's risky to go into the season assuming Revis can be traded for value during the season with only 6 weeks to do so.

I'd rather see the Jets work out a short-term extension during the early part of the season, but that's of course unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Welp....
    Has anyone else reported anything besides PFT and Manish?? I feel like these are the only idiots making up a story on Revis and going back and forth on it.

Let me know when Schefter tells us something.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    No they just released him, and then re signed him(Thanks Tanny). I doubt anyone would risk doing that with Revis, but you would have change the details to include that possibility.
    Vilma was on the last year of his contract when he was traded, the trade compensation was contingent upon the saints re-signing him before he was a FA.The saints did not so the comp did not escalate. They did not release him, he was a FA free to shop elsewhere. The saints took a chance that another team would not bowl him over with a offer, for taking that chance they got to reduce the compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Understand the line of thinking, but there hasn't been a trade of a marquee player since the 80s. I think it's risky to go into the season assuming Revis can be traded for value during the season with only 6 weeks to do so.

I'd rather see the Jets work out a short-term extension during the early part of the season, but that's of course unlikely.
    The pats traded 3 time all-pro 4 time probowler Seymour 5 years a go. At the time Seymour was considered one of the best Dlineman in the league. And you dont think trading a top ten qb in Bledsoe wasn't a marquee player trade?

No then what if Tampa is 2 and 6 at the time- you think they will trade for Revis in the hope of finishing 8-8. No you have to trade him during the off season when he is healthy, and "every" suitor team thinks that he may be the piece to put them in the playoffs.

What is Tampa willing to pay Revis long-term? By all accounts I've heard it's in the 10-12mm per year. If that's the case and Revis is willing to take that we should work to re-sign him.

Most everyone on this board has said in the past keeping Revis at or below the 12mm per year rate makes sense. I have to believe the Jets are trying to keep him at this point.

Even if Revis comes back healthy, has a great year and hit free agency next year. Is anyone going to give him more than 12mm per? seems unlikely at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    What is Tampa willing to pay Revis long-term? By all accounts I've heard it's in the 10-12mm per year. If that's the case and Revis is willing to take that we should work to re-sign him.

Most everyone on this board has said in the past keeping Revis at or below the 12mm per year rate makes sense. I have to believe the Jets are trying to keep him at this point.

Even if Revis comes back healthy, has a great year and hit free agency next year. Is anyone going to give him more than 12mm per? seems unlikely at this point.
    Well of course to Revis's mind -Tampa is not go to give Revis full market value one year before his contract runs out and give the jets trade compensation.
    This is like a nightmare to Revis, He gets and ACL injury the year before his walk year and the cap is not going to go up for a couple of more years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Off the top of my head I remember the Marshall Faulk trade in 99.. He wanted to renegotiate his contract with 2 years left so they traded him..

According to Shock Jock Carton Tampa Bay and Revis' agents have agreed to terms on a long term deal and the Bucs are giving the Jets 24 hours to accept the trade or not.

Then again he is Shock Jock Carton.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    According to Shock Jock Carton Tampa Bay and Revis' agents have agreed to terms on a long term deal and the Bucs are giving the Jets 24 hours to accept the trade or not.

Then again he is Shock Jock Carton.
    If it's a fair deal in terms of compensation - a 1st round pick, plus additional picks, then take it.

If it's not, don't. The Jets can't let another team or Revis's agents dicate if or when he is traded.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The pats traded 3 time all-pro 4 time probowler Seymour 5 years a go. At the time Seymour was considered one of the best Dlineman in the league. And you dont think trading a top ten qb in Bledsoe wasn't a marquee player trade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Off the top of my head I remember the Marshall Faulk trade in 99.. He wanted to renegotiate his contract with 2 years left so they traded him..
    Sorry guys - the part of the post I left off was "during the season."